Team-BHP - Problems with Pioneer DEH-6390SD head unit
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Problems with Pioneer DEH-6390SD head unit (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/104399-problems-pioneer-deh-6390sd-head-unit.html)

I fitted a PIONEER DEH-6390SD in my Tata Indigo on 11th May and within a month I found errors in speed of playback on all three sound sources - CD, SD card and USB. Perfectly recorded music sounds like a 78 rpm. record being played at 16 rpm. The problem in detail in this - let's say I'm playing 10 songs on an SD card. Say song 3 gives this problem. Press FF and song 4 begins to play PERFECTLY. Go back to song 3 and it still plays problematically. Play song 5, 6, 7, and then return to 3 with the same result.
The same song on the same sound source played on a Pioneer DEH-4590SD in my brother's Indigo sounds perfect.
Pioneer Mysore took the system away for a checkup and has unofficially told me that there is "a problem with all 6590SD systems and have promised to replace one with a "Newer model". Is this true?
Anyway, after phoning, cajoling and threatening, my stereo head unit was replaced on 11th July 2011 with a brand-new head unit, but somehow with a used front panel - with the same results. Within a few hours of playing, the same problem manifested itself. Again, returned to Pioneer Mysore, who has taken the system away. After paying Rs. 9000, I am running on a CD-only system with a face panel that looks that it has been stolen from a tourist taxi. Incedentally, that works like a dream! So, power-supply faults are eliminated.
I need to know a couple of things -
Is this a problem faced by other people who have fitted DEH-6390SD or is it just me?
What could be the cause of this malfunction?
How could I work around this problem?
I also need to know the maximum size SD card/USB I should use for my DEH-6390SD, to play error-free.
Thanks in anticipation.
CLYDE D'COSTA

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLYDE (Post 2427460)
Perfectly recorded music sounds like a 78 rpm. record being played at 16 rpm. The problem in detail in this - let's say I'm playing 10 songs on an SD card. Say song 3 gives this problem.

The same song on the same sound source played on a Pioneer DEH-4590SD in my brother's Indigo sounds perfect.

After paying Rs. 9000, I am running on a CD-only system with a face panel that looks that it has been stolen from a tourist taxi.

The problem you have has never been reported before. It is rather odd. I can only suspect that maybe the format of that particular song maybe VBR (Variable bit rate) and the HU you have might not recognise it.

That said for Rs. 9000 there are many HUs from Kenwood, Pioneer, JVC etc...that have bouth USB and Aux inputs available on the front panel. I have linked one such sample below

KDC-U546BT | 1DIN Receivers | Car Electroics | Kenwood Corporation

OT: It is nice to know that you are familiar with 78rpm & 16 rpm records. 16 (actually 16 2/3 rpm) was a rare format.

Dear Navin,

One thing I don't get - how does the very same song on the very same sound source play perfectly well on my brother's Pioneer 4590SD head unit?

Do you know what is the max. size of SD-card and USB I should use for trouble-free play?

Thanks again for taking time off to reply.

CLYDE

Quote:

Originally Posted by navin (Post 2428002)
The problem you have has never been reported before. It is rather odd. I can only suspect that maybe the format of that particular song maybe VBR (Variable bit rate) and the HU you have might not recognise it.

That said for Rs. 9000 there are many HUs from Kenwood, Pioneer, JVC etc...that have bouth USB and Aux inputs available on the front panel. I have linked one such sample below

KDC-U546BT | 1DIN Receivers | Car Electroics | Kenwood Corporation

OT: It is nice to know that you are familiar with 78rpm & 16 rpm records. 16 (actually 16 2/3 rpm) was a rare format.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLYDE (Post 2428931)
One thing I don't get - how does the very same song on the very same sound source play perfectly well on my brother's Pioneer 4590SD head unit?

Do you know what is the max. size of SD-card and USB I should use for trouble-free play?

I would assume 4GB would work.

Hi fellow BHPians!

I have a Pioneer DEH-6390SD and require some expert advice :

What is the max. size of SD card that I could use that -
Plays .mp3 songs error-free,
Has a quick start-up (no more than 3 to 4 secs.)
Which class of SD card should I buy - 2, 4, 6 or 10? mp3 songs only.
Should I use a full-size or MicroSD card with an adapter? This MicroSD could do double duty in a mobile phone, if needed.

Ditto the above questions for a USB pendrive.

Hope to hear from you soon.

CLYDE D'COSTA

Please read the manual of the Pio unit for the max. size figure. If in case you don't have the paper version of the manual for some reason, search on the net - you will find the PDF version.

Size of card is not linked with error-free reproduction by the HU. Usually 4-16 GB cards work without significant delays at start. Class 2 is good enough, though what one generally gets is Class 4.

SD card slot accepts the full-size SD card, you will have to use the adapter if you want to use MicroSD.

Other than the size issue, all the above are true for pendrives too.

Dear DerAlte,
Thanks for your advice. Pioneer UK states that 32GB SD cards and pendrives may be used, but on one British forum, I found start-up delays of upto 2 MINUTES! I think 16GB should be safe enough. The worst thing is, I cannot get a 32GB on trial.
I have an adapter, hence asked about the Micro SD card.
Thanks again for being so prompt and helpful!
CLYDE

32GB are quite difficult to find - most shops don't stock it.

16GB is a LOT of music. I have a 16GB pendrive which I usually fill to the brim, and that for me is about 4-5 weeks of listening in the car without repeating (avg. journey of 45min., 2-3 journeys a day).

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerAlte (Post 2580607)
32GB are quite difficult to find - most shops don't stock it.

Not really DA, my wife uses these for her video work but yes given that one can make a playlist of favourite songs 16GB (MP3 @ 320Kbps) can kep you happy for weeks.