Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2018, 18:32   #46
BHPian

Re: ICE upgrade : Toyota Etios

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustamyadu View Post
Hi,
I'm a late entrant to this thread but solicit your advice.
I have a Toyota 2014 Etios GD diesel variant. I am keen on knowing if the Polk DB692 DB+ 6x9 450W (150RMS - I'm guessing it's 75RMS per speaker) fit into the rear doors of the car. These speakers are 3 way with 30-22k Hz.

Salient points:
1. I don't want to infringe on any of the boot space as I carry a lot of golf clubs and sets in the boot on an everyday basis.
2. I don't want to compromise on the sound quality. I absolutely love music and have it on a reasonably high volume.
3. Don't want a lot of thump to be heard outside, but substantial improvement in the acoustic content while driving.
4. I plan on adding a Bass tube and an amp in the future (again - both these parts will be either in the centre console of the car , below the seats, or embedded into the side wall of the boot, but certainly not eating into the boot space).
5. I would like to retain the original HU and connect these Polk speakers in the rear doors directly to the HU without any shared connection with the front door speakers.
6. Once the amp and bass tube is installed, will power up the front speakers and the rear speakers with the amp and connect the bass tube to the same as well. Will a good 4 way amp suffice for the above set up?

As you can see, it's a work in progress and will be done in instalments as and when I save for it.

I thank you all for your help in advance. Please bear with me if I ask certain novice questions in the future, as I'm not really technically oriented.

Happy listening !
Hi Rustam,

The Totota Etios does not have factory location for any size speaker. And there is not direct fit for 6X9" speaker until and unless you want to modift the parcel tray.

The dash locations can accommodate 4" speaker and front doors can take 6.5".

In case of any clarifications feel free to write your queries.

Will be happy to help.
Autophile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 08:11   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile View Post
Hi Rustam,

The Totota Etios does not have factory location for any size speaker. And there is not direct fit for 6X9" speaker until and unless you want to modift the parcel tray.

The dash locations can accommodate 4" speaker and front doors can take 6.5".

In case of any clarifications feel free to write your queries.

Will be happy to help.

Hi Autophile,

Thanks for your reply.
So if I need to fit these speakers on the parcel tray, I can do so and connect them directly to the HU without shared connection with front door speakers? I will be adding an amp to the front speakers later .
Old 25th July 2018, 08:41   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi,
I'm a late entrant to this thread but solicit your advice.
I have a Toyota 2014 Etios GD diesel variant. I am keen on knowing if the Polk DB692 DB+ 6x9 450W (150RMS - I'm guessing it's 75RMS per speaker) fit into the rear doors of the car. These speakers are 3 way with 30-22k Hz.

Salient points:
1. I don't want to infringe on any of the boot space as I carry a lot of golf clubs and sets in the boot on an everyday basis.
2. I don't want to compromise on the sound quality. I absolutely love music and have it on a reasonably high volume.
3. Don't want a lot of thump to be heard outside, but substantial improvement in the acoustic content while driving.
I was actually looking at options for audio upgrade for a friend's Etios. Based on what I saw the best option for Etios is the following:

1. 6.5 inch components on front doors. The tweeter sits on dash above the 4inch grill. You don't need the 4inch speaker in the dash if you go for 6.5 inch components.
2. Nothing in the rear door. 6x9 in the rear parcel shelf. Sheet metal will need to be cut on the parcel shelf.

If you have plans to install an amp and sub then you don't need the 6x9 in the rear parcel shelf. You can probably just 6.5 inch coax in the rear door and then amp and sub in boot. Since you don't want to eat into boot space, I think the ovals in the rear parcel shelf will work for you and an add an amp later on. Should give sufficient bass.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 25th July 2018 at 08:43.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 12:37   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
1. 6.5 inch components on front doors. The tweeter sits on dash above the 4inch grill.

2. Nothing in the rear door. 6x9 in the rear parcel shelf. Sheet metal will need to be cut on the parcel shelf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile View Post
Seriously. Someone at Toyota needs a lesson in audio. The Camry, Yaris, Etios etc. all have terrible stock locations for speakers (for their respective class of cars).

A pair of 6x9s in the parcel shelf is a basic solution. 6x9s have about the same surface area as an 8" woofer but most are designed to operate in with the volume of a trunk hence do not go as low or as tight as a good 8" woofer (in a box). They are efficient and effective for the mid-bass and upper bass though.

Putting a 6" woofer in the door and a 1" tweeter in the dash is really not a good option. The 2 drivers will be crossed over at somewhere around 2000-4000 Hz and putting them so far apart will result in a rather odd soundstage (more so since they will be firing in different planes/different axis).

I am not happy suggesting the following (because of the investment required) but a clean solution for these cars (Yaris, Etios, Camry) requires a minimum of 5 channels of amplification.
  • A subwoofer in the trunk driven by a single channel of amplification
  • A pair of 6" mid-bass drivers in the door driven by 2 channels of an amplifier
  • A pair of 3-4" full-range drivers in the dash (hopefully on an angled plate) also driven by 2 channels of an amplifier.

Like I said it is not a happy position to be in but don't shoot me, shoot the boys in Toyota. Read about my own experience with Toyota ICE 6 years ago here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-review-2.html

Last edited by navin : 25th July 2018 at 12:38.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 19:06   #50

Navin!
Thank you for the thread on your ownership of Camry. You're absolutely right when you say that they have zero interest in providing an upmarket ICE for Toyota vehicles. It's such a bummer! I sit in my Ford Figo 1.6 Titanium Diesel, and I have such great acoustics that there are times when I choose to drive that car ONLY because of that!
But my point is - like you - I like to keep the car as stock as possible except on upgrading the tyre size and alloy wheels. But here, with the ICE would like to get a little more punch. And like I said, I can't afford to lose any boot space so decided for one amp connected to the existing dashboard and front door speakers and standalone rear tray 6X9's connected directly to the HU. You think I'm measuring short? Please advise as I like my music a lot and like it on a reasonably higher volume.
Thanks once again!
Old 7th August 2018, 09:34   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
decided for one amp connected to the existing dashboard and front door speakers and standalone rear tray 6X9's connected directly to the HU. You think I'm measuring short? Please advise as I like my music a lot and like it on a reasonably higher volume.
Thanks once again!
What speakers do you have in the dashboard? You don't really need them if you have components in the front door.

Since you don't want to lose boot space to a subwoofer, you should just get front components in the door driven by the amp and rear 6x9 in parcel tray also driven by the amp. The amp should be 4 channel with 2 channels for front speakers and 2 for rear.

If you amp only front speakers then you will not get much bass from the rear 6x9.

In the etios it's best to ignore the small speakers on the dash.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 09:42   #52

I have the standard dash speakers that come stock. So you saying that I amp up the rear tray speakers and the front door speakers and leave the dash speakers as is. Would that be a fine setup or do you mean to totally remove the front dash speakers and keep the other four on amps ?
Good suggestion for the 2 channel amps on both the front and rear.
Old 7th August 2018, 09:50   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have the standard dash speakers that come stock. So you saying that I amp up the rear tray speakers and the front door speakers and leave the dash speakers as is. Would that be a fine setup or do you mean to totally remove the front dash speakers and keep the other four on amps ?
Good suggestion for the 2 channel amps on both the front and rear.
What do you have in the front doors? The front doors need a good 6.5" component speaker like the Polk dB 6502 or Morel Maximo or DLS MA6.2 etc.

I have heard the 4 inch dash speakers in the Etios and they are totally useless, hence I would suggest just disconnecting them altogether.

1. 6.5inch components in the door (connected to 2 channels of the amp)
2. 6x9 oval in the rear tray (connecting them to amp means you may not miss the sub too much)
3. 4 channel amp to power above speakers
4. damping for front doors and rear parcel shelf (this is a must else the above is pointless)
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 18:57   #54
BHPian

Headunit in the old Liva has died and I don’t want to bother repairing it. Any recommendations on a not so expensive replacement with android auto OR Apple car play capabilities?
Old 5th September 2020, 22:31   #55
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone upgraded their etios Head unit and managed to keep the steering wheel buttons working? Does a standard toyota steering wheel interface work ?
Old 5th September 2020, 22:47   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
upgraded their etios Head unit .....keep the steering wheel buttons working?
I changed head unit to Android one from Blaupunkt. It ships with an adapter for Toyota and has options in the menu to map buttons to various actions.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 17:00   #57
BHPian

I followed your words of advice for my Etios Liva, albeit with minor changes:
1. Six-inch JBL components in the front door (tweeters that came with it were installed near the manual OVRM control on the doors). Original tweeters in the dash remain connected. (For those who are curious, the factory had installed 20W speakers in the door.)
2. A pair of 450W Pioneers 6x9 on the parcel shelf, and
3. A 1000W Sony 4-channel amp under the driver's seat powering all four (the space below the front passenger seat houses the jack).
4. Damping sheets in all four doors and the rear parcel tray.
5. Retained the factory fitted head unit (Pioneer, Thailand).

Haven't been able to wipe the smile off my face since the past week when I completed the install. Wholehearted thanks, mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I was actually looking at options for audio upgrade for a friend's Etios. Based on what I saw the best option for Etios is the following:

1. 6.5 inch components on front doors. The tweeter sits on dash above the 4inch grill. You don't need the 4inch speaker in the dash if you go for 6.5 inch components.

If you have plans to install an amp and sub then you don't need the 6x9 in the rear parcel shelf. You can probably just 6.5 inch coax in the rear door and then amp and sub in boot. Since you don't want to eat into boot space, I think the ovals in the rear parcel shelf will work for you and an add an amp later on. Should give sufficient bass.
dhruvtanwar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 18:23   #58

Hi

I am looking towards upgrading the default Pioneer system (DEH 8038 XNES) that comes with Toyota Etios VD 2014 model. I love this vehicle but just want to upgrade my head unit to the latest.

Currently I have a total of 6 speakers (2 tweeters, 2 mid-range on either sides of front doors which came by default + 2 Blaupunkt ovals at the back which I added when I bought the vehicle). I dont have any clue of the default speakers that came with the Pioneer system.

Appreciate any thoughts in regards to a recommendation for a head unit. Personally, I think a Pioneer HU might be the best but I am not sure.

Thanks in advance
Srinivas
Old 31st July 2023, 13:05   #59
BHPian

Default speakers in the front doors are 20W, which my accessories guy said were Alpine but I couldn't find any markings to support that claim.

The default head unit is good; I prefer to use a good mount and bluetooth all connections to it. The reason I didn't upgrade the HU, besides it's quality, was that the car is Diesel and is 7+ years old, so installing a new HU for around 20k+ didn't make sense to me for just another 7 years of usage (15 years being the government mandated scrappage, that can be extended by 5 years but who knows what happens by when that time arrives).

That said, if you're upgrading to a touch screen unit, my bias is towards Pioneer/Kenwood, with Sony being a close second (because of pricing). Your 90% use-case will be Maps & Navigation and a display for a reverse camera. Everything else can be just as easily covered by your phone on a good quality mount hooked in via Bluetooth. Hence, my advice would be to follow Vid6639's advice as above, which I did and every-time I get in the car I have a smile on my face!
Cheers!
Old 6th August 2023, 11:42   #60

@dhruvtanwar, thanks for your inputs. By any chance do you have the specifications of the default Pioneer HU that came with etios diesel 2014 build?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks