Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2011, 21:35   #1
BANNED

ICE upgrade : Toyota Etios

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

My friend just bought a brand new Etios but found stock HU never statify him. I suggested 6x9 oval Polk db690 on rear plank to make him happy in Bass compartment and to supplement front 4 stock speaker. Etios carres 2 speaker in front door as well 2 in dash board hence I suggested 6x9 oval on rear plank. Installer just played a game with my friend by powering this 6x9 by blaupunkt amplifier though I striclkly warned my friend before installation.

Now, front fadar - all 4 speakres sings a low note (10% volume) while balance loudness(90%) goes to 6x9 in rear. Music improvement not at all satisfactory i.e. polk sings like radio quality - absent of low & mid notes. Music in front 4 speakers literally not audible. To add upon, 6x9 polk also rings when call coming to mobile.

pl advice. I want to make him a happy listener.

Last edited by GTO : 1st August 2011 at 11:45.
Dhams is offline   Received Infraction
Old 29th July 2011, 10:18   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: ICE for Toyoto Etios

1. The RCA wires used are allowing the amp to pick up mobile signals (not enough sheilding).

2. move the amp to the front speakers and let the HU power the rear.

The 6x9 are more efficient (and work in a larger enclosure) and need less power to produce the same sound pressure level (SPL).
navin is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 11:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Did he use a 2 channel amp or a four channel?

Dashboard speakers are 4inch? Would suggest powering front speakers from amp and rear from HU like navin said.

Last edited by jkdas : 29th July 2011 at 11:55.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 19:35   #4
BANNED

Talked to installer just now. He extended HU single o/p from front 5incher speaker to rear 6x9. I also asked to power front speaker but admitted its paper cone speaker would be teared out. Its 2 ch amplifier. What to do now?
Old 30th July 2011, 10:31   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhams View Post
Talked to installer just now. He extended HU single o/p from front 5incher speaker to rear 6x9. I also asked to power front speaker but admitted its paper cone speaker would be teared out. Its 2 ch amplifier. What to do now?
put a bass blocker on the front speaker.

a bass blocker can be fabricated using 2 470uf caps back to back. This has been discussed on TBHP. Please search.
navin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2011, 20:34   #6
BANNED

re: ICE upgrade : Toyota Etios

Thanks Navin & JK. sure search for bass blocker.

Having thoughts of two option, don't know how it would be.
1. Replacing stock HU to any good HU like pioneer or kenny.
2. Putting componenet in front door and to run by 2 ch blaupunkt amplifier. Let 6x9 to attach with current stock HU. Confused on the facts that this stock HU have single channel output.

Is anybody Etios owner here who has done good ICE?
Old 31st July 2011, 21:17   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhams View Post
Having thoughts of two option, don't know how it would be.
1. Replacing stock HU to any good HU like pioneer or kenny.
2. Putting componenet in front door and to run by 2 ch blaupunkt amplifier. Let 6x9 to attach with current stock HU. Confused on the facts that this stock HU have single channel output.
  1. It appears the installer has no clear idea about audio ; please search for a good one first
  2. You can use the Etios HU - badhalvana nathi
  3. get a pair of component speakers -please check the size of speakers in the Etios front doors - use the 2 channel blaupunkt amplifier to run the front speakers - so front channel of HU to be connected to amp using RCA cables ; amp output to go to the component speaker crossovers
  4. rear channel of the HU to directly power the 6x9s
Old 1st August 2011, 02:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Etios ICE : the stock location in the door is 5.25"inch whereas you can mod it up a little and install upto 6.5"inch components.The Etios stock Headunit cannot power up a 2-way 6"inch coaxial properly as mentioned it will sound like a radio.

The best you can upgrade the HU add a Front comps + Rear 6 x 9 coaxial and your done.The amplifier is not even needed in this kind of setup.Keep the Headunit to Flat mode,Loud-OFF play around with Lows + Mids + Highs and your done all this you can get in a budget of Rs.12-15k.

Ramie
Old 19th October 2011, 10:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

ICE for Etios is crap. I'm planning to upgrade my Audio System on Etios Diesel ( which will be delivered in a week's time )

Priorities
  • The best quality sound with a budget of around 30 to 35k.
  • Extra Utilities - Bluetooth Handsfree, USB and Ipod
  • Bass is important, but I'm not a fan of glass shattering Bass that comes out of the woofers. So, good bass from component and Ovals is adequate for me.
  • Reduce modifications to the car plastics and metal as much as possible
Head Unit - Alpine CDE-103BT Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

Cost - 12k ( approx )
Reasons which made me go for this
  • Alpine's crisp sound quality and sound adjustment features.
  • Built quality of Alpine
  • Handsfree, USB, and Ipod compatibility.
  • Video and touch less important to me than sound quality.
Front Component Speakers - Alpine SPR-13S Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

Cost - 11k ( approx )
Reasons which made me go for this
  • Need for a good front speaker combination that would not spoil the good work done by the ovals at rear
  • High frequency notes should be crisp and isolated and should not be mixed with the mids.
  • 'Adequate' Bass from the front speakers.
Rear Speakers - Alpine SPR-69c Oval Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

Cost - 9k ( approx )
Reasons which made me go for this.
  • Need for big sound without compromise on quality
  • Good response for the lows, mids and adequate response for highs.
Damping for front 2 - doors

Budget - 5k ( approx )
Reasons
  • Front speakers are powerful and could cause vibrations on the metal which affects sound quality
I've no idea on the best option here. I just want to ensure that the front speakers doesn't cause noise due to high power.

Future upgrade Plans - Alpine Head Unit Power Pack KTP-445 Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

Cost - 10k ( approx, costs around $120 on online stores in US )
Reasons which made me think about this upgrade
  • Do not want to waste space for amplifiers
  • Avoid complexity of the additional wiring for the external amps
  • Get good quality Bass without the help of sub-woofers
  • Head unit RMS Output is only 18w per channel. This addon makes it 45w rms per channel
  • Since this product is made for Alpine headunits, it should work well with the sound config tweaking of Alpine headunits.
  • Good reviews about the product in the internet
Based on my requirements, I've decided on the above configuration for now. Anyone else have better ideas ?

Last edited by amalji : 19th October 2011 at 11:03.
Old 28th October 2013, 17:50   #10
BHPian

Round or Oval Speakers for Etios

I am planning to attach rear speakers for my Etios for reasonable sound distribution coupled with the stock front speakers in the door and tweeters in the dash. Before going into the speaker details, I want to be clear about the installation process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
The best you can upgrade the HU add a Front comps + Rear 6 x 9 coaxial and your done.The amplifier is not even needed in this kind of setup.Keep the Headunit to Flat mode,Loud-OFF play around with Lows + Mids + Highs and your done all this you can get in a budget of Rs.12-15k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Rear Speakers - Alpine SPR-69c Oval Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.
I have heard that Etios has round marking to cut and fix speakers.So what should be size of the rear speakers? As it has round marking, logically round speakers should fit easily. However since most of you are preferring 6x9 ovals, after metal cutting would I need spacers. More generally, how did you guys install the ovals in the parcel shelf.

Also is the wiring for rear speakers already in place, or I do need to put that in?
Apple Master is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 10:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Round or Oval Speakers for Etios

Quote:
ICE for Etios is crap.
It was crap on the 2011 model. But, not so on the 2013 facelift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Master View Post
I am planning to attach rear speakers for my Etios for reasonable sound distribution coupled with the stock front speakers in the door and tweeters in the dash. Before going into the speaker details, I want to be clear about the installation process.
Etios already have tweeters on the dash. ( I had it when I bought my Etios VD in 2011 )
At that time, even the GD variant had it installed.

Quote:
I have heard that Etios has round marking to cut and fix speakers.So what should be size of the rear speakers? As it has round marking, logically round speakers should fit easily. However since most of you are preferring 6x9 ovals, after metal cutting would I need spacers. More generally, how did you guys install the ovals in the parcel shelf.
A spacer made of chip wood was used. But, I'm not 100% sure as to whether it was a necessity or not. The reason why I asked for chipwood was to prevent vibrations/rattles when I hear music loudly with bass.

Quote:
Also is the wiring for rear speakers already in place, or I do need to put that in?
My guess is that wiring is not in place because the fitters removed the rear seats for fitting the speakers. And they removed it incorrectly breaking one of the locks that holds it in place properly. :( That's the reason why I specifically asked you on another thread to get it done without compromising on the warranty. Try writing to Toyota. If it doesn't fetch results, try calling their toll free number as well.

Last edited by amalji : 29th October 2013 at 10:34.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 10:43   #12
BHPian

Thank you amalji for the explanation.

Quote:
That's the reason why I specifically asked you on another thread to get it done without compromising on the warranty. Try writing to Toyota. If it doesn't fetch results, try calling their toll free number as well.
Yup, have already sent a mail to them this morning seeking clarification on this matter.

After listening to what everyone here has to say, have decided not go ahead with the speaker installation. I agree there is no point in voiding warranty by doing the job elsewhere. :(
Old 10th January 2014, 09:59   #13
BHPian

Howdy.. I got my Etios on the 8th of December 2013 (ownership + first & second trip review which would include highway manners coming up shortly). Well, in trip one, we put on music.. and the back benchers (family) wailed that there's no sound.

So - I wanted to get better sound from the car stereo - understandably, this includes speakers.

I am getting the following options:
1.pioneer Speakers Oval with spacer rings 250w TS-G923
2.Sony speakers oval with spacer rings 550W X3-GT69422
3.Infinity speakers with spacer rings 360w PR-9603is primus

With my limited knowledge, I gleaned that the Infinity ones are better across the range. Something to do with complex stuff like crossover, 3 way something, and control something..

But here is the question - that I have not asked the accessories chaps, but am asking here so I understand better. With the 2013 head unit, do I need an amplifier also tucked in there somewhere? the infinity is rated at 100 watt RMS - would an amplifier help it along or is the HU enough to let it deliver a decent performance?
Old 10th January 2014, 11:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridutt View Post
Howdy.. I got my Etios on the 8th of December 2013 (ownership + first & second trip review which would include highway manners coming up shortly). Well, in trip one, we put on music.. and the back benchers (family) wailed that there's no sound.

So - I wanted to get better sound from the car stereo - understandably, this includes speakers.

I am getting the following options:
1.pioneer Speakers Oval with spacer rings 250w TS-G923
2.Sony speakers oval with spacer rings 550W X3-GT69422
3.Infinity speakers with spacer rings 360w PR-9603is primus

With my limited knowledge, I gleaned that the Infinity ones are better across the range. Something to do with complex stuff like crossover, 3 way something, and control something..

But here is the question - that I have not asked the accessories chaps, but am asking here so I understand better. With the 2013 head unit, do I need an amplifier also tucked in there somewhere? the infinity is rated at 100 watt RMS - would an amplifier help it along or is the HU enough to let it deliver a decent performance?
1) We use the infinity Oval speakers on my mother's Liva. Do not remember the exact model number. But, I can vouch for their performance. Crisp quality.
2) I would highly recommend checking out PolkAudio oval speakers as well. I used to have this on my old Esteem, and it's my all time favourite.
3) I wouldn't recommend an amplifier. You will get more than enough sound with your stock unit. Even with the old model Etios head unit, the Infinity sounded really cool. The ICU on the new Etios is much better. I would instead recommend that you use the amount to get good speakers.

PS: On my Etios, I have Alpine ovals. But, Polk Audio is still my all time favorite speakers in that price bracket ( 5k - 10k ).

Last edited by amalji : 10th January 2014 at 11:50.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 17:33   #15

Hello ICH Experts

I have recently booked a 2014 Etios VD SP, I had a look at the ICH available in the 2013 Etios which was OK but lacked the PUNCH. I assume it would be the same that would be coming in the 2014 model as well.

I had a Wagon R which was having Blaupunkt SanDeigo MP27 with front round speakers and rear ovals attached on a wooden plank and believe me it was rocking but lacked advanced features like USB support etc . While selling my WagonR I have retained the rear ovals which were 55W RMS.

Following is the help I need from you experts
1) How to we fit ovals in Etios, should it be behind the rear seat or should it be in the back luggage compartment ?
2) The vehicle I booked would come with front and rear round speakers, should I add additional amplifier to get the ovals fixed ?
3) I understand that Etios comes with Panasonic ICH, is there a generic amplifier system that can support universally all head units ?
4) Read in team-bhp forums that attaching additional speakers will void warranty, is this true ? The dealer from whom I am buying this had denied tweaking the internals. Any suggestions ?

Would be helpful if you can share some pics to understand better.

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks