Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2011, 18:48   #31
BHPian

Re: MapMyIndia Navigation - Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
I think that problem is only with the versions where MMI uses a different software to Sygic. I have MMI with Sygic and it is really great. The places are shown as soon as we start typing the name, so we dont need to enter the whole name of the place to start searching.
Friends, Glad to note that most of you liked the thread and thanks for keeping it rolling.

I agree with Newpunter here as I am not facing any issues with the search. The MMI on my CASKA HU pops up a list of destinations after keying in a few characters so that we can go over the list and select the same.
Old 19th August 2011, 00:06   #32
BHPian

I have been using MMI Mobile Maps for the last 4 months on my HTC Incredible S phone. It uses Sygic software and the interface is good though takes a little getting used to. Updates are not supported for mobile maps. I enquired with MMI and they said that when a new version of mobile maps comes out I will have to purchase it again for Rs 2K.

The mobile maps is not as comprehensive as in the dedicated device version as well. It is missing some major landmarks. For example recently I visited Hogenakkal along with a few colleagues and MMI was listing only till Pennagaram town.

When it works, it works nicely. The phone can take upto 10 mins to get a good GPS lock. Once done lock is retained unless I go under a flyover. Once when going from ITPL, Whitefield to Sarjapur road MMI avoided the main left turn at Hoodi junction and took me on a nondescript road through Mahadevapura and in a short time I was on Outer Ring Road saving a good 30 mins in the process.

When paired with the car audio's Bluetooth there is a small quirk which could be because of the phone or the car audio hardware. When a voice announcement happens from MMI and music is also playing, the music gets muted of course but there is a few of seconds delay before MMI audio comes through. So I end up missing the first word/s of the announcement. Finally I keep the phone on a windscreen mounted holder and it tends to heat up with continuous GPS usage. The heating can be reduced by keeping a small rubber piece to create a gap between the holder and the phone's back surface.

However given the smaller map database, no update plan and a few of the issues mentioned above I am planning to buy the device after some time.
moinakg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 16:01   #33
BHPian

@kirantp,

Mate sorry for being late in reading your thread.
Very nice review. My version is 6.0- I may upgrade,what do you suggest?

The Caska guy here has promised to help me with the update.

I have to still try out many features on the map.

Please post more revelations.

Best of luck.

charthom.
Old 19th August 2011, 18:01   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
@kirantp,

Mate sorry for being late in reading your thread.
Very nice review. My version is 6.0- I may upgrade,what do you suggest?

The Caska guy here has promised to help me with the update.

I have to still try out many features on the map.

Please post more revelations.

Best of luck.

charthom.
Thanks for your feedback dude. I would definitely suggest you go for the V6.1 as the current maps show lots of places including the names of small roadside tea shops and I think they would definitely be of great help during our long drives to less traversed routes.

Will surely keep you all posted as and when I come across any new findings with the MMI.

Cheers, Kiran
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:05   #35
BHPian

Got my MMI VX-140 yesterday. I am absolutely in love with this. However, it showed me wrong directions to Kemps Corner from Bombay Central twice. Dunno why!
Old 22nd August 2011, 20:13   #36
BHPian

I have a Pioneer 4390 touch screen in my car and I so want to buy MMI maps for it. But they are soo expensive considering that Satguide has it for 10.5k! (Albeit lacking the detail of the MMI)

I am from Bangalore and thought i don't really need the maps for now and can manage with a 2g connection and google maps. So put the MMI plan on hold. Maybe when the need arises to goto a different city, I will buy it. I even called them up and asked them if they can give me any discount They simply refused to budge.
Old 22nd August 2011, 20:20   #37
Senior - BHPian

@Kimified, check out Garmin maps if your device supports it. They are quite good - https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=253&pID=65217
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 20:34   #38
BHPian

I use Nokia 5800 Xpress music with OVI Maps 3.6
It also have almost all the features mentioned including OWN Voice guidence.The recent update of map data provided me with many more routes which was missing in older version.The drawbacks I found was it eats up the battery like anything.Also sometimes maps application says 'memmory too low' and stops.Then again I have to feed in the destination.
But I am happy with this functionality as it is in a Mobile phone.I even use it when I travel on Bike(To mention,I use earphones).
white-rabbit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 22:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
I have a Pioneer 4390 touch screen in my car and I so want to buy MMI maps for it. But they are soo expensive considering that Satguide has it for 10.5k! (Albeit lacking the detail of the MMI)
Do you want only the map, or do you need the whole setup with a GPS Antenna?
the one on the MMI website for 19,990/- Is for the whole set.
A GPS Receiver, wires to hook up to your existing HU, and the current version of maps.
Still as i posted earlier, you may be better of buying the VX 140S.
its a PND which will cost you half of this upgrade, priced at 10K
plus you can use it in any of your cars, or even while walking or traveling without your car.
Think about it.

Last edited by mdsaab : 22nd August 2011 at 22:19.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 22:42   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

I use a PND as well. Fits neatly in the passenger seat, is voice-activated & touch-sensitive and I absolutely love her. Only drawback: she's a little high-maintenance and always complaining that she has to ask people for directions only because I steadfastly refuse to.

Seriously, though- I intend to get a GPS device in my car because it's really helpful to find those quick shortcuts that save you being stuck in traffic etc. Especially when I'm headed to the Eastern side of Pune, it's a big relief not to keep pulling over and have the missus ask random people "Dhanori Road kasa jaayche?" every 10 minutes.

Nice review!
noopster is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 22:45   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
@Kimified, check out Garmin maps if your device supports it. They are quite good - https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=253&pID=65217
Hey. Thanks for the link. Garmin just provides maps right ? I don't think they will work on the Pioneer HU. The Pioneer HU does not come with a GPS antenna. I have to get that separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Do you want only the map, or do you need the whole setup with a GPS Antenna?
the one on the MMI website for 19,990/- Is for the whole set.
A GPS Receiver, wires to hook up to your existing HU, and the current version of maps.
Still as i posted earlier, you may be better of buying the VX 140S.
its a PND which will cost you half of this upgrade, priced at 10K
plus you can use it in any of your cars, or even while walking or traveling without your car.
Think about it.
I need the whole setup with the Antenna. Yeah. I had thought about buying the VX140S (or a similar device)and a 2-din non touch screen music player before upgrading the music system. However, I just went ahead and got the touch screen one since i thought it could well be a all in one device instead of cluttering it with 2 different screens. (Reverse cam / Bluetooth / Maps and Music). I also thought that Voice navigation would be better integrated with the HU if i have the maps in it. It will pause the music automatically when there is a voice command unlike the case where i have 2 separate devices. I know it sounds lame Sorry for going OT.

But again i thought. hmm. Why can't i just get it on the phone and hook it up in the car just like VX140S. I have a phone which has a 3.7 inch screen, So i think its sufficiently big. I would end up saving 80% of the cost. All confused, I ended up buying nothing and putting the plan on hold
Old 23rd August 2011, 09:09   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I use a PND as well. Fits neatly in the passenger seat, is voice-activated & touch-sensitive and I absolutely love her. Only drawback: she's a little high-maintenance and always complaining that she has to ask people for directions only because I steadfastly refuse to.

Seriously, though- I intend to get a GPS device in my car because it's really helpful to find those quick shortcuts that save you being stuck in traffic etc. Especially when I'm headed to the Eastern side of Pune, it's a big relief not to keep pulling over and have the missus ask random people "Dhanori Road kasa jaayche?" every 10 minutes.

Nice review!
LOL Noops!
Come on now take the plunge already. You took a look at my device quite a while ago, it's about time Fraulein gets her own.
BTW VX 140S is a really good way to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
But again i thought. hmm. Why can't i just get it on the phone and hook it up in the car just like VX140S. I have a phone which has a 3.7 inch screen, So i think its sufficiently big. I would end up saving 80% of the cost. All confused, I ended up buying nothing and putting the plan on hold
That's a pretty good idea. if you have an android phone or such, then you can even do a free trial of the maps on your phone. If satisfied with the experience you can order it. I think it costs 2K or so.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 12:43   #43
BHPian

Sorry guys, I've two silly questions. Road Pilot or VX140 S which one is better? Though prices are nearer for these two. Secondly, updates for maps are how much required?
Regards.
Old 24th August 2011, 21:45   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasuray View Post
Sorry guys, I've two silly questions. Road Pilot or VX140 S which one is better? Though prices are nearer for these two. Secondly, updates for maps are how much required?
Regards.
The road pilot has a 3.5 inch screen.
Whereas the Vx 140 S has a 4.3 inch screen.
Along with the added convenience of a media player and bluetooth it's quite a simple decision in the end.
Since the price difference is not too much either.
Go for the VX 140S you will not be disappointed.

The update for maps cost 1K for a single update.
I recommend sticking to single update.
As it is not necessary to get each and every update.
What i do is update at every alternate update by MMI.
Or just before heading out on a long journey.
Since it is not compulsory to update you can do it as per your requirement.
You can also skip 3-4 updates or even do it annually.
Old 24th August 2011, 22:25   #45
BHPian

Thank you mdsaab. I got the point.Iwill do as you advised.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks