Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2012, 11:19   #121
BHPian

Re: MapMyIndia Navigation - Review

I have a Kenwood DDX4038BT Head Unit in my Vento. The Head Unit has an RGB navigation interface built in.

I am interested in getting MMI's maps for it.

Will the MMI BX100 navi box fit this Head Unit (even though it is not listed)?
Old 25th March 2012, 12:15   #122
BHPian

Has any one downloaded and used MMI maps on their windows mobile? I have a windows mobile from Samsung and am planning to use MMI maps on that...Thus any input / suggestions for experience with MMI on windows mobille would be helpful.
Old 9th April 2012, 11:14   #123

Used a PND MMI Road Pilot II on my recent trip to Mysore and it was great buy, I found it accurate to about 5 meters and so I never missed a turn.
Old 12th April 2012, 23:56   #124
BHPian

just bought a mmi zx250 yet to install the reverse camera. the maps still dont have the door adresses as claimed by the salesperson.
Old 16th April 2012, 10:01   #125
BHPian

Sorry if I sound utterly lost here, but exactly where do I buy just the MapmyIndia software?

In its STORE page Buy GPS Navigation products for your car, Travel Guides, Map Updates, Tracking Devices and Navigation Accessories online at the MapmyIndia Store I can't see any link which will enable me to buy only the map software. I can see updates for maps but that assumes one already has the older version of the said map.

I want to use the MapmyIndia software with a GPS device (not a smartphone) bought from another vendor. Is it possible?

TIA.
Old 16th April 2012, 12:49   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_factor View Post
I want to use the MapmyIndia software with a GPS device (not a smartphone) bought from another vendor. Is it possible?
You can buy the MapmyIndia Maps for the Garmin device for a costly Rs.7,000/-.
Old 1st May 2012, 08:35   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docaxe View Post
just bought a mmi zx250 yet to install the reverse camera. the maps still dont have the door adresses as claimed by the salesperson.
Can you please post an elaborate review on the zx250?
Old 3rd May 2012, 00:33   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_factor
Sorry if I sound utterly lost here, but exactly where do I buy just the MapmyIndia software?

In its STORE page Buy GPS Navigation products for your car, Travel Guides, Map Updates, Tracking Devices and Navigation Accessories online at the MapmyIndia Store I can't see any link which will enable me to buy only the map software. I can see updates for maps but that assumes one already has the older version of the said map.

TIA.
You can use Mapmyindia only with their units or Garmin's - I am using it with Garmin device . There is a link on their website which takes you to buying maps and in that there is a link to Garmin maps too . Once you have made the payment , you would get a call from MMI within 48 hours to ask you about the device that you use - this is required so that they send the correct card ( micro SD or otherwise )
I don't think MMI provides support to other products like TomTom , etc - which unit do you have ?
Old 3rd May 2012, 22:25   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
I don't think MMI provides support to other products like TomTom , etc - which unit do you have ?
Thanks.

I had this unit in mind 6" LCD Windows CE 6.0 Core 500MHz GPS Navigator w/FM Transmitter + Built-in 4GB Memory USA Map - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Pretty discouraging if MMI restricts its map comparability. Is there a way around this?
Old 5th May 2012, 14:18   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.

I had this unit in mind 6" LCD Windows CE 6.0 Core 500MHz GPS Navigator w/FM Transmitter + Built-in 4GB Memory USA Map - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Pretty discouraging if MMI restricts its map comparability. Is there a way around this?
I am not aware of any way around . From whatever little research I did , I thought that Garmin was the best GPS unit available - its hardy , connects to sat the pretty fast , battery life is good, has very useful features and last but not the least had MMI map support ( Navteq maps are no match for MMI, have used both). Don't you think 6" inch display would be too big , my 4.3" garmin feels quite big when attached to the windscreen . That aside would this unit have support in India ?

Maybe I will share my experience with you if that helps .. I researched on Garmin devices and the features that I wanted , then started bidding for company refurbished devices on ebay ( the ones with warranty) , got one 855 that I liked for USD 33 . Invested in MMI map and am pretty happy with it . You can try out that route .
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 18:42   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Don't you think 6" inch display would be too big , my 4.3" garmin feels quite big when attached to the windscreen . That aside would this unit have support in India ?
Thanks.
I've ordered the said PND. A primary reason I liked this unit was the size - 6". MMI had nothing comparable in the same price bracket. I am now researching non-MMI software options. This looks affordable and doable. http://www.satguide.in/product/satgu...o_sd_card.aspx.

Comments pls.
Old 14th May 2012, 09:55   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.
I've ordered the said PND. A primary reason I liked this unit was the size - 6". MMI had nothing comparable in the same price bracket. I am now researching non-MMI software options. This looks affordable and doable. http://www.satguide.in/product/satgu...o_sd_card.aspx.

Comments pls.
Unfortunately, I could not open the link. You can also drop in a mail to MMI with your set , they may have certain insight to share and if you are lucky the MMI map maybe compatible with the unit.
All the best with your GPS setup .
Old 14th May 2012, 10:55   #133
BHPian

In addition to my Satnav maps,I use the following link to create my own openstreet maps.

Free worldwide routable Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap

Following contents taken from the website for BHPians to understand how easy it is and of course Free !!

How to use this website:
  1. The easiest way is to select the country from the drop down box and proceed with step 5 or change your selection with step 2. If your country is not listed then proceed with step 2. Using unchanged predefined country selections will often produce your map faster then making your own selection!
  2. Zoom and scroll until you see the tile(s) you want to add or remove from the selection.
  3. Tick the 'Enable manual tile selection' box at the top of this page.
  4. Select or remove tile(s) by clicking on the map with the mouse
  5. Enter your email address and click 'Build my maps' or download each tile separately by clicking it's link.
You will receive an email with the download location when the server has finished building the maps if you entered a valid e-mail address.

It has some CONS however works wonderfullly well who do not want to pay hefty amount for commercial map providers.
Also,no complicated conversions are required.

Also,I use the required maps when I travel Europe and copy it on my SD card which are fairly accurate.Try it once !!
Old 14th May 2012, 12:54   #134
BHPian

Quote:
All the best with your GPS setup .
Thanks

Last night I ordered a TomTom device as well.
Via 100 - Car navigation - TomTom

I don’t know how accurate the TomTom maps are. Hoping to give it a good try next month when I plan to take 5000km north India driving vacation.

Ordered it from www.letsbuy.com . So far so good. One smart johnny called up this morning to inform me that the package will be delivered in next 5 to 7 days. All for Rs. 9,799.00 COD.

Will update soon thereafter.
Old 14th May 2012, 16:56   #135
Senior - BHPian

@drive_factor - TomTom's are well known devices, very popular in US and I read somewhere that MMI's work with TomTom's too . Use the TomTom map for a while, if you don't like it you can always change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthp View Post
In addition to my Satnav maps,I use the following link to create my own openstreet maps.

Free worldwide routable Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap

Following contents taken from the website for BHPians to understand how easy it is and of course Free !!

\
\

It has some CONS however works wonderfullly well who do not want to pay hefty amount for commercial map providers.
Also,no complicated conversions are required.

Also,I use the required maps when I travel Europe and copy it on my SD card which are fairly accurate.Try it once !!
Good suggestion but the maps are not necessarily accurate and often lack details - in cities of US, Europe , Australia and New Zealand they should be adequate but they flounder the moment one gets out of the city. I have found them to be fairly inadquate in Asia especially in places where names can get twisty for westerners. I am just back from Thailand where I tried using it but it was a very trying experience - so much so that I gave up after a few hours and hired a garmin from Avis
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks