Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2011, 17:33   #1
BHPian

Choosing between 3 ICE quotes for my Polo

I'm back to where it all started. Putting an ICE setup to my Polo. The process is getting delayed badly due to lot of reasons. Now, I've decided to get it done within the next 2 weeks. So, this is all the quotes and information I have after discussions with a few guys who are involved in providing ICE in Chennai.

A. Quote from Privelege Motomall:
1. HU: JBL GT-X555 - 8990 (MRP) and he's giving it 7K
2. Speakers (Front): Rockford R1652-S 2-Way Component System - 6490
3. Speakers (Rear): Rockford R1653- 3-Way Full Range - 3750
4. Rockford R300-4 [Large Chassis] 2,3,4 Amplifier - 12990

He's providing all these items at a 20% discount. So, that makes the price around: 7000+5000+3000+10300 = 25300 (Amplifiers are optional). Add another 3K for wiring and installations per his quote, it'll end up at 28K.

B. Discussion with Power Zone:
Saravana Prabhu of PZ very patiently listened to my needs & suggested the following setup. Instead of going for components at the front and coaxials at the back (like most of the guys here do), he suggested me to go for 3 way speakers both in the front and rear. He boldly challenged me (I appreciate his confidence) that his suggestion would be very nice & have an awesome sound quality.

1. HU: Kenwood U446 - Around 7K
2. Speakers: MTX 3 way speakers in front & rear - No idea about the cost breakup for speakers separately
3. Amps: Auditor (he said its a Focal brand) - No cost breakup
4. Sub: MTX - Again, no cost breakup

The setup, along with wiring and installation he said will cost 28K. A brownie point for this guy is his professionalism that folks on TBHP mention about time and again and he sounded very knowledgeable with the amount of information that he provided.

C. Chandru Auto Stores:
The last option, again a few here on the forum have done this way too i.e., procure the required stuff from Chandru Auto Stores and get them installed at PZ. This is what he offered:

1. HU: JBL GTX-555 - 4500
2. Speakers: Front Component (JL) - 5900
3. Speakers: Front Component (Infinity) - 5500
4. Speakers: Front Component (Helix) - 6500
5. Speakers: Rear Coaxial (Depending on the front components I choose) - 4500 app.

So, the total works out to 15500 (max assuming Helix). Then, add another 10K? for wiring and installation charges at PZ, it comes around 25-26K.

So, with these 3 options in hand, what should I go for? I'm somehow inclined toward option 2 only because of the vast knowledge that Saravana of PZ has & some very good feedback about him on the forum. But, does the installation that he's proposed sound good??
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICE suggestions for Polo

For a moment, ignore 'reputations'. First, audition the brands and models that you have mentioned. Since you are the one who is paying, trust only your ears and what is in between.

The last party seems to be giving reasonable prices. Ignore Helix, quite possibly something that should cost half that of the others (and max margin for the dealer). JL and Infinity are known good brands. The price for GTX555 seems a trifle low - check if he is giving prices with B&W. A decent JBL, Kenwood or Pio amp should cost you ~6K, and another 3K for wiring and cables. Don't expect installation for free.

One can understand why the 2nd person proposed coaxes everywhere and a sub. He assumed you want a 'super-duper boom-boom dhin-chak' system that you would drive around with windows down.

It is always more sensible to have components in front in the interest of a coherent stereo image and better clarity in front. Once you get used to what you have, you can add a sub later.
Old 24th August 2011, 09:59   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
For a moment, ignore 'reputations'. First, audition the brands and models that you have mentioned. Since you are the one who is paying, trust only your ears and what is in between.

The last party seems to be giving reasonable prices. Ignore Helix, quite possibly something that should cost half that of the others (and max margin for the dealer). JL and Infinity are known good brands. The price for GTX555 seems a trifle low - check if he is giving prices with B&W. A decent JBL, Kenwood or Pio amp should cost you ~6K, and another 3K for wiring and cables. Don't expect installation for free.

One can understand why the 2nd person proposed coaxes everywhere and a sub. He assumed you want a 'super-duper boom-boom dhin-chak' system that you would drive around with windows down.

It is always more sensible to have components in front in the interest of a coherent stereo image and better clarity in front. Once you get used to what you have, you can add a sub later.
DerAlte, indeed I'm going to audition a setup that one of my friends has put up very recently on his Polo. Not a hifi stuff, but something fr 20K and he says its good. Though the setup is totally different from what I've mentioned here, I'll visit him soon & then take a call.
Old 24th August 2011, 11:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Equipment is of importance so would be the expertise of the installer IMHO.
Old 26th August 2011, 14:17   #5
BHPian

Re: Choosing between 3 ICE quotes for my Polo

^^^ That's why the Chennai folks suggest to get installed from Power Zone. Each and every time I speak with him, he proves his deep expertise on the subject!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks