Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2011, 20:56   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

AvaniTV - Live Indian Television in your car

High Points

- AvaniTV uses high speed mobile internet to deliver a live TV feed to your car.

- Partnered with Reliance for their data network.

- Live TV Channels, including the likes of CNBC-TV18, Star Group, MTV etc.

- Movies on Demand.

- Internet Video (Youtube).

- Internet Radio.

- The package comprises of a set top box, Reliance 3G data card, remote control and input cables.

- Cost = Rs. 20,000 & monthly Rs. 700 (data charges). LCD sold separately.

- Concern : Installation of LCD screen will inevitably make you lose your car's warranty coverage.

AvaniTV - Live Indian Television in your car-gallery_img3.jpg

AvaniTV - Live Indian Television in your car-gallery_img4.jpg

AvaniTV - Live Indian Television in your car-gallery_img5.jpg

AvaniTV - Live Indian Television in your car-gallery_img1.jpg

AvaniTV - Live Indian Television in your car-gallery_img2.jpg
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 22:51   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: AvaniTV - Live Indian Television in your car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Cost = Rs. 20,000 & monthly Rs. 700 (data charges). LCD sold separately.
Isn't the set up (excluding the LCD) charges a bit steep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Concern : Installation of LCD screen will inevitably make you lose your car's warranty coverage.
If in most cases (down here, in Calicut) hi-power ICE's go well with SA's, wont this LCD too? Or am I missing something?
Old 24th August 2011, 23:50   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Isn't the set up (excluding the LCD) charges a bit steep?
Sure is. You could do the same (and more) with a laptop, though it won't give you the integrated experience.

Quote:
If in most cases (down here, in Calicut) hi-power ICE's go well with SA's, wont this LCD too? Or am I missing something?
Difference here is, you are cutting through the seat. In the end, it all depends on your service advisor.
Old 25th August 2011, 00:05   #4
Team-BHP Support

There's only one problem. What about places that don't have good reliance 3G coverage?

In bangalore Reliance 3G is spotty at best.
Old 25th August 2011, 00:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

the reliance stuff with will ensure that the service and streaming is worst. i have it and use it with my laptop and it sucks. the speeds are slow and inconsistent.

this is the scenario in pune
Old 29th April 2013, 19:44   #6
BHPian

Hey Guys.

Does anyone have any recent update/ feedback on the Avani Tv? I was planning to get this installed on my fathers Innova as his daily commute to work and back makes him spend at least 3.5 to 4hrs everyday. I asked the accessories guy at the toyota dealership and he suggested me to not go in for this, he mentioned that since this runs on a reliance 3G dongle type setup, the reception is pretty patchy as while on the move it keeps getting disconnected due to low network coverage.

If anyone is using this setup or knows of anyone using this setup please do let me know or if someone can suggest any other alternative to this.

VVB

Last edited by vvb8530 : 29th April 2013 at 19:46.
Old 1st May 2013, 17:13   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Hey Guys.

Does anyone have any recent update/ feedback on the Avani Tv? I was planning to get this installed on my fathers Innova as his daily commute to work and ..........

VVB
I would suggest a Decent display android phone with MunduTV app loaded and 3G connection. It works good . Free channel are also there but limited to couple of music and news channel over 3G/Internet.
Old 1st May 2013, 17:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wouldn't a good 9" Tab with a data card of your choice be a better option ? There are apps like DTV, nexGTV that stream most of the Indian Channels including live cricket matches.
Old 21st January 2014, 07:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

And now one won't need to have a data connection, probably not even a cable connection.
With Chet Kanojia's invention , the set top box can sit in the coin holder, and provide live TV to the HU and to your smartphone
Old 21st January 2014, 08:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

@ GTO: How different is this from what dish tv is offering? The pictures shows this STB in a Skoda, how are we to integrate with the existing ICE so that we may get the audio through the speakers, using the AUX? Not trying to cut-in a bad way, but I feel the tatasky app on a tablet would be better off - just my thoughts.

@ joybhowmik: I did read through the link but it only mentions about the lawsuits but little on the technology, we may have to wait a little more.

Last edited by nitinbose : 21st January 2014 at 08:44.
Old 21st January 2014, 09:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
@ joybhowmik: I did read through the link but it only mentions about the lawsuits but little on the technology, we may have to wait a little more.
Source: www.nytimes.com
Quote:
For a monthly subscription that starts at $8, Aereo allows subscribers to watch or record broadcast television through the Internet on any device, small or large, no wires or cable boxes required. It does this by assigning each consumer a remote antenna and a DVR.
AvaniTV - Live Indian Television in your car-aereojumpsuperjumbo.jpg
The point is , the device grabs the TV signals off the airwaves, and makes them available through a DVR. Now as most DVR has a TV-Out, one can hook it up to the HU, and better still if the DVR has a wifi AP built in, one can watch live tv by tethering to this AP using tablet/phone etc.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 21st January 2014 at 09:12.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 09:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

This is ridiculous high price they are asking however it is welcome solution in India for "first of its kind" for car. I believe this is most missing feature in car and my family misses it a lot, while on long drives. Almost, all of us get bored of movies. Also, I am little skeptical about "High Speed Data" claim ove 3G and I had many bad experience with 2 - 3 3G data providers on phone. Unless it is full fledged 4G(LTE), it is very difficult to have seamless solution for this.

Sometimes, I feel there should be DMB in our country. In Korea everywhere there is DMB(Digital Media Broadcast) and it is free. Almost all phone here are DMB complaint so we find DMB devices in cars, buses etc. With this they enjoy almost all TV channels anywhere and it has nothing to do anything with 3G or LTE. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital...a_Broadcasting
Old 21st January 2014, 12:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Source: www.nytimes.com

The point is , the device grabs the TV signals off the airwaves, and makes them available through a DVR. ...
Not much fun watching Doordarshan live in the car, no? I don't think they are talking of catching DTH signals.

Nice invention, though it may be more appropriate for the US market.
Old 21st January 2014, 14:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Not much fun watching Doordarshan live in the car, no? I don't think they are talking of catching DTH signals.
I feel the same too. Its more like an antenna to "catch" the terrestrial signals.

One would require a decoder (receiving and decrypting) as well as subscription options.

Last edited by nitinbose : 21st January 2014 at 15:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks