Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2011, 07:08   #31
BHPian

Re: MapMyIndia enters tablet market with CarPad : Hit or Miss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
And yes you can get navigation + voice directions on any Android device that has GPS hardware.

It would cost approx 2k.
I have a Nokia E71 and a (currently malfunctioning) E75. I don't own an Android device yet.

I was in the US last year, and during a 4 hour bus journey along the East Coast, I got excellent maps and GPS coverage on my E75 via the Nokia Maps. I did not get a chance to test my E71 as it was in India.

However, back in India, both E71 as well as E75 keep displaying a 'weak GPS signal' error message whenever I try to use Nokia/Ovi Maps or even Google Maps. If I have access to wifi or GPRS or 3G, Google Maps is able to download the maps over the internet, but is unable to pinpoint my location precisely in the absence of a GPS signal.

When I take my E71 to Nokia Care, they insist that GPS works very well throughout Kanpur, and cannot explain the reasons why my phone is unable to catch the signal. For the past few days, I have toured virtually the entire city trying to get a reliable GPS fix, and I am only able to get my location through Google Maps (and a very weak GPS signal) within an uncertainty circle of radius ~1100 meters.

So I am wondering whether this is a problem with the E71 itself, or my particular phone. I was tempted to buy the MMI application on the E71 and test it for a few weeks before deciding whether I should buy a PND or a tablet.
Old 7th September 2011, 08:44   #32
Senior - BHPian

That is a common problem. Turn on GPS and leave phone on terrace for 15- 20 minutes (should have a clear view of the sky on all directions).

Once it gets a lock, this problem should go away. If it still does not, then its an issue with GPS chipset on phone.

Unless GPS hardware works, no App (E.g. Google maps /Nokia maps or MMI) is going to work.
Old 8th September 2011, 00:30   #33
BHPian

I tried this extensively today, on my Nokia E71 with a BSNL 3G connection, running Google Maps with GPS enabled. Google Maps worked rather well, but Nokia/Ovi Maps kept flashing 'waiting for GPS' and did not progress further.
Old 9th September 2011, 12:37   #34
BHPian

First you go to GPS option in the Menu of E71. There you get current loaction option . here you can check the satellite status. There you find 3-4 satellite status with bar like status against them It takes around 10-15 minutes to lock the current location in clear surrounding. If it fails to loack itself then there is someting wrong in chipset.
Old 10th September 2011, 06:42   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman18 View Post
First you go to GPS option in the Menu of E71. There you get current loaction option . here you can check the satellite status. There you find 3-4 satellite status with bar like status against them It takes around 10-15 minutes to lock the current location in clear surrounding. If it fails to loack itself then there is someting wrong in chipset.
Does it always take a long time to lock on?
Old 10th September 2011, 13:20   #36
Senior - BHPian

It should not, once it acquires a lock for the first time.
Old 11th September 2011, 07:52   #37
BHPian

Even as I was successfully using the GPS feature of Google Maps, Nokia (OVI) maps still would not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
It should not, once it acquires a lock for the first time.
But now, even Google Maps is unable to get a GPS fix, so I think the sensitivity of the GPS on the E71 is very poor.

By the way, on page 7 of the latest BBC Knowledge India magazine, the following Garmin PND has been advertised:

Garmin | nüvi® 2565

This is way more impressive than the currently available PNDs from MapmyIndia and even Garmin, and it costs roughly USD 315. It will be launched in India within the next 2-4 weeks. When I contacted the dealers for information, only Brightpoint India seemed to be aware of this device. The other dealers said this device is not for India.
Old 12th September 2011, 18:23   #38
BHPian

I bought the Reliance Tab - just for kicks because it is only 13k. It does the navigation job admirably using Google Maps. I will check on the Android market if MapmyIndia software can be loaded on it. I am pretty sure it can.
Old 13th September 2011, 05:34   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
I bought the Reliance Tab - just for kicks because it is only 13k. It does the navigation job admirably using Google Maps. I will check on the Android market if MapmyIndia software can be loaded on it. I am pretty sure it can.
Do keep us posted. MMI software will more easily be available from MMI themselves. Here's the link: Mobile Phone GPS With All India Maps For Windows, Blackberry, Symbian, Iphone
Old 13th September 2011, 06:15   #40
BHPian

On a different note, I am now looking for an inexpensive Android tablet which I can play around with -- to experiment with Android programming and hacking.

So, if I buy an OEM Android version, I want to be able to restore it back to factory settings if I mess it up during the course of my adventures (which is very likely). I know I can do a custom Android install and get rid of all the factory stuff, but I want to be able to go back.

Someone suggested that I look into the cheap Chinese tablets (sub 10 k anyone??). I couldn't find any on Flipkart (Android tablet : Buy in India @ Flipkart.com).

But curiously, something really cool popped up:

Flipkart: Creative ZII10: Tablet

This is a 10.1 inch tablet with a 1 GHz ARM Cortex processor, and it costs Rs. 14,000/-. It also comes with a stylus (which I hope can be used to take notes). I would love to hear opinions from others on this thread about Creative tablets, as I've never used one. As it would mostly be a test bed, I am still skeptical about the cost.

Here's the processor: ZiiLABS ZMS-08 ARM Cortex A8 Media Processor
Old 14th September 2011, 12:31   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
On a different note, I am now looking for an inexpensive Android tablet which I can play around with -- to experiment with Android programming and hacking.

So, if I buy an OEM Android version, I want to be able to restore it back to factory settings if I mess it up during the course of my adventures (which is very likely). I know I can do a custom Android install and get rid of all the factory stuff, but I want to be able to go back.

Someone suggested that I look into the cheap Chinese tablets (sub 10 k anyone??). I couldn't find any on Flipkart (Android tablet : Buy in India @ Flipkart.com).

But curiously, something really cool popped up:

Flipkart: Creative ZII10: Tablet

This is a 10.1 inch tablet with a 1 GHz ARM Cortex processor, and it costs Rs. 14,000/-. It also comes with a stylus (which I hope can be used to take notes). I would love to hear opinions from others on this thread about Creative tablets, as I've never used one. As it would mostly be a test bed, I am still skeptical about the cost.

Here's the processor: ZiiLABS ZMS-08 ARM Cortex A8 Media Processor
The Creative uses a Resistive Touchscreen not a Capacititive one; hence the stylus. This is because Resistive screens are not as easy to type on. A place where you can find ridiculously cheap Chinese Android Tablets is seventymm.com -

Seventymm.com - Buy Wespro 8 Inches PC Tablet 886 with 3G - For Grown Ups - Electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
Do keep us posted. MMI software will more easily be available from MMI themselves. Here's the link: Mobile Phone GPS With All India Maps For Windows, Blackberry, Symbian, Iphone
It is available as an e-download for about INR 2000. I am happy with Google Maps as of now. I used to use Nokia Maps on the N97 mini earlier and while the maps of Nokia were pretty darn good; it seemed to slow down the phone a tad.

Last edited by GTO : 20th October 2011 at 16:52. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 4th October 2011, 17:52   #42
BHPian

I decided in favor of the Garmin NUVI 2565 LM PND device (it is available in India now), as I wanted to have a device dedicated to navigation. Perhaps in future when finances permit and I feel a stronger need, I'll get an Android phone/tablet. For the time being, I'll use the good old Android emulator to code, as I had been doing :-)
Old 5th October 2011, 12:00   #43
BHPian

How much does it cost?
Old 5th October 2011, 12:07   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
How much does it cost?
About Rs. 18,500 I think.
Old 19th October 2011, 07:26   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
Does the Reliance Tab have a A-GPS chip in it or it navigates on GPRS?

Most Viewed