Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2011, 11:43   #1
BHPian

ICE'd Honda City needs Help !!!

Hello Guru's

I had replaced my stock HU on my ANHC with an Alpine - IXA 407BT HU, during this swap i also happened to swap my speakers with Focal Polyglass 165VB components. I kind of liked the performance of the Focals they give me satisfying low's and good mids and highs. I almost dont feel the need to install a sub for the moment due to the low frequency output of the components. Recently i also replaced the rear door speakers with the same Focal 165vb components.

All this while these components were driven via the Kenwood Kac-8405 720-Watt 4/3/2-Channel Amplifier with Variable LPF/HPF. The sound quality was decent at low volumes but strictly ok at high volumes. Post my rear components installation the overall sound quality has dropped considerably after half volume, which means i can clearly notice the highs and mids getting chopped off as well as very distorted lows. I dont know why this happened as the amplifier has sufficient power to handle 2 pairs of components, i had similar issue with Kenwood in my Getz which was sorted after i switched to Focal Solid4 amp.

I am now thinking of doing the same in the ANHC, can you guys suggest any other amplifier in the same league which can give me better overall performance. I am also thinking of adding a Sound Processer Alpine PXA-100 to the HU. I need your Guidance for the same.

I would be grateful if you also let me know how much impact would using sound dampners on all 4 doors have on my setup.
Old 21st September 2011, 14:55   #2
BHPian

Re: ICE'd ANHC needs Help !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Freak View Post

I am now thinking of doing the same in the ANHC, can you guys suggest any other amplifier in the same league which can give me better overall performance.
Well I am no guru hear, but just my 2 cents.

May I recommend pioneer gm-6400f - Car Entertainment Systems and Pioneer GM6400F 4-Channel Bridgeable Amplifier Review – Bestcovery. This is actually a budget amp and not in the same league as Focals, but comparable to Kenwood.
It's a heavy amp compared to the Kenwood kac m846 - Kenwood - KAC-M846 and felt much more solid . I have upgraded my ice with this amp and is driven by a Pioneer HU. Listening to music is a more fuller experience now(note that I was driving the speakers straight from the HU earlier), with clear separation of lows, mids and highs. I dont have a sub and yet the lows are tight and well defined, without any roll of across the lower spectrum . The mids and the highs are well defined and balanced and doesn't bleed my ears, maybe it has something to do with the speakers too.

The only drawback i think is the lack of fine grained controls, for example, HPF and LPF are just switches and can't be configured for a frequency other than the factory set values.

Overall, I am happy with the performance of this one.

Last edited by glidealong : 21st September 2011 at 15:12.
glidealong is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 16:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nothing to worry about,just might be some wiring phase and tuning issues can be sorted quite easily to get that oomph you are missing
ramie2400 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 16:59   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
Nothing to worry about,just might be some wiring phase and tuning issues can be sorted quite easily to get that oomph you are missing
Thanks for your feedback, can you also throw some light on the sound dampning i was checking about.

Have sent you a PM for some details

Most Viewed