Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2006, 07:28   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Its time to ICE my baleno ...

Hey guys , im back .. So all of u might have read my thread regarding the accident i had with my zen .. Yes i am thankful to god and all my wellwishers that we got out alive without any injury scares ..

Now coming back to ICE .. As u all know the zen had the following running :

1. Pioneer 7750 HU with 3 preouts ..
2. Alpine 450 - 5ch amp ..
3. Hertz ESK 130 ( 5.25") components ..
4. Hertz ECX 165 (6.5") coaxials ..
5. Hertz ES 250 D DVC sub ..
6. Audison cabling ..

As u all know with the accident im very lucky that my ICE setup didnt suffer much .. But yes i did pay a price for it .. Only the right coaxial grill broke .. And the speaker got damaged and has been deformed .. So that leaves me with no choice but to replace the coax set .. Since i needed to take the amp off immediately , i had once again but no choice than cut the RCAs mid way so that i could take off the seat .. I wasnt carrying the allen key to the amps face plate and hence had to do this .. Which eventually means :

1. Need to replace the coaxials ..
2. Need to replace the RCAs , speaker wires seem to be long enough for the use on the baleno im thinking ..

Now the main question being reagarding the sub.. As u all know i have 10'' and im totally spoilt by the SQ that this system gave in the zen , that punchy bass etc etc .. As im sure the 10'' wont do justice on a baleno even if put as free air , what i would like to know is :

1. Would a 12'' in a sealed enclosure do a good job , im spoilt by the tight punchy bass ..
2. Or should i go in for the 15'' in a ported enclosure .. I have a strange feeling that this would be overkill .. Anyways navin , JB , gunbir , sam fire ur thoughts out on this ..
3. Preferably now that i might be going in for a 12'' or a 15'' i think i might need a monoblock or a 2ch amp to run the sub .. I dont think the 5th ch of the 450 can drive the sub ?? Can it ?? If not what would be the ideal choices for the amp ..

The rest of the system is up for an upgrade in due time but for the time being plan to use the HU , amp and the compos from the previous setup, my 1st priority is speedrun for which il be spending quite a lot on my car .. So right now on a tight budget .. So ur valuable inputs regarding the sub/amp combo required ..

Feel free to point out anything that i might have left out .. Now over to navin , JB , gunbir & Mr. sameerji ( if he is around somewhere here ?! ) ..
Old 3rd March 2006, 08:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

You have seen the set up in my car right.. two 12" with monoblock amps.. go for it baby..
also i dont understand the point is that why are you planning on increasing the body weight of the car? no street racing??
Old 3rd March 2006, 08:15   #3
BHPian

mclaren1885,
One 15 inch sub for your baleno will not be an overkill if you are going in for the ported enclosure in your boot. The 5th channel on your alpine may not be sufficient for the 15 incher though. Like Godfather has suggested, go in for a monoblock just for the sub.

On another note, read your thread about the accident, I am glad you are safe and lived to tell the tale. Take Care Mate.

Cheers
Santhosh
Old 3rd March 2006, 10:01   #4
Team-BHP Support

1. why do you feel that the 10" wont do justice. I figure in teh right box it can be quite adequate. I would ask JB/Gun bir to post the recomended box volumes (sealed/ported) on this sub.

2. a 15" sub will not be overkill either. It will reall rock. I have played with 15" subs in the car (Kicker Solobaric etc..) and they can rock.

Now before you sat that the above to statements sound like they contradict each other. What I mean to say is the 10" sub might be adequate givne that you already have it but a 15" sub would really rock.

From wht I know the 5th channel of the 450 puts out 100W/4ohms. while it may not drive a larger sub as well as say a JBL 600.1 would it could also do a reasonable job if the 15" sub is efficient enough.

So I would first try the 450 with the 10" Hertz woofer in a box and only if I felt I needed more SPL would upgrade the sub and/or amp.

a) try the existing sub and amp if you want more SPL then
b) upgrade sub and see if you like it but ifyou want more SPL then
c) add monoblock using the 450 as a 4 ch. amp. as resale value on the 450 will at best only buy you a 4 ch. amp of equal quality.

The cabling could still be audison and the coax could still be Hertz. You were happy with these right?
Old 3rd March 2006, 11:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi McL

Congrats on the new car... has it arrived already?
Old 3rd March 2006, 13:11   #6
BHPian

Hi McLaren,

Congrats for your Baleno...

As far as you ICE is concerned there are lot of options. All depends on what you are looking for.

15" subwoofer is not an overkill it is all about tuning and installation .

Baleno is much bigger car than zen so I suggest you go for 2 X 10's or 1 X 12's in IB or 1 X 15" in ported box in the boot.

The only issue with 15" in boot is that it will wreck the baleno's boot lid with vibrations. If you damp the boot & boot lid well with damping material then there is no issue.

450's sub channel supports 4 ohm load. Hence adding another 10" will give you 4 ohm final load. And the 15 is 4 ohm SVC. So it can be either two 10's or one 15.

In cabin subs will give you immediacy where as 15 in ported box will play loud & low. Choice is yours .

You can use 5" components at the back and go for 6.5" in the front.
Old 3rd March 2006, 14:11   #7
BANNED

Guys thanks a lot for the response .. Navin , got ur point and yes it does make sense .. Spoke to gunman too a while back about the setup ..

From all this what i have inferred is :

1. Get a 15'' and try and run it on the 5th ch and see if its good enough ..
2. If not get a 2ch or a mono ..
3. Bloody damp the boot well .. I pity my spoilers condition for all the bouncing it will be doing .. Not to mention the passengers ...
4. Move the 5.25 '' compos to the rear and get the 6.5 '' for the front ..
5. The usual audison cabling as well ..

From what i was told there arent any 15'' available as of now , so i think i will have to wait for a month at the most .. For now , i think i will do with the sound of my engine , freeflow etc etc (which should be in by sometime next week after returning from track day) .. Anyways with speedrun coming up i would have to once again strip the entire setup again .. So i guess i better install the setup once thats done .. What say guys ??

As far as the tuning is concerned , we will be meeting up at the goa meet .. So JB and gunman can have a look at it then ??? Btw navin arent u coming to goa ?? I think we ought to meet .. The other ICE gurus are coming as well ..
Old 3rd March 2006, 14:18   #8
BHPian

You guys talk such high tech stuff; leave alone my car, even my home stereo is much simpler than what Mclaren has in his car!
Old 3rd March 2006, 17:35   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
1. Get a 15'' and try and run it on the 5th ch and see if its good enough ..
2. If not get a 2ch or a mono ..
3. Bloody damp the boot well .. I pity my spoilers condition for all the bouncing it will be doing .. Not to mention the passengers ...
4. Move the 5.25 '' compos to the rear and get the 6.5 '' for the front ..
5. The usual audison cabling as well ..

From what i was told there arent any 15'' available as of now
Btw navin arent u coming to goa ?? I think we ought to meet .. The other ICE gurus are coming as well ..
a) no I am not going to goa. I have a son to keep me busy. very busy.

b) JBL has some 15" (GT4-15 for example) available from what i hear. but if you are looking for Hertz, JB/Gunbir would be your guide.
Old 4th March 2006, 05:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

One question bro.. even in your wildest imagination / dream do you think we will let you drive the car after the "works" has been done....
if you think so then you are mistaken..so ummm i guess we dont come under the passengers list... YOU DO bro..
Old 4th March 2006, 08:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

i had a 15" solobaric in a sealed enclosure and it was sweeet..go for a 15"..but get a good monoblock or if you really want to go loud get two monoblocks one for each coil
Old 4th March 2006, 11:13   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
One question bro.. even in your wildest imagination / dream do you think we will let you drive the car after the "works" has been done....
if you think so then you are mistaken..so ummm i guess we dont come under the passengers list... YOU DO bro..
Hello , what makes u think that anyway ? I bought the car to DRIVE not to sit passenger .. Im sure since the last incident not many are comfy driving my car .. Anyway lets get back to topic ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 4th March 2006 at 11:15.
Old 4th March 2006, 13:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hi there McClaren,

Lots cooking for you eh Enjoy your new ride and sure your going to have a blast with Baleno on the track!!!

Quick question, where are you planning to get all your ICE installed?
Old 4th March 2006, 14:41   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah
Quick question, where are you planning to get all your ICE installed?
Well now that i have lots of time at hand plannning to do the install myself .. DIY zindabad ..
Old 4th March 2006, 23:56   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Well now that i have lots of time at hand plannning to do the install myself .. DIY zindabad ..
Now that is the spirit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks