Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2006, 20:24   #16
BHPian

polk audio, velocity, MTX, illusion audio, venon (not so sure about this), Nakamichi could also be added to the list
Old 6th May 2006, 20:32   #17
BHPian

i had been waiting for such a thread since a long time. Because of number of brands avaliable, it seems rating them with each other could be a tedious task. Moreover many of us at times get confused about the qualtiy of the brands

It is my sincere request to senior-BHpians like Navin, Sam, jkdas, gunbir etc.. to take some timeout for us and classify them into categories like:

1. Best Brands (considering performance):
2. Value for money Brands :
3. Low end brands (Desent stuff):
4. Crap brands (ones to look out for):

I feel that such classification will be of great help to junior members and soon help us too, to become senior-Bhipans...lol.

Kindly do the needfull guru log!!!
Old 6th May 2006, 23:02   #18
BHPian

recently Xenos speakers! from Pricol makers of Xenos car security systems. displayed at coimbatore auto show
Old 6th May 2006, 23:39   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316
PEOPLE FORGOT ROCKFORD FOSGATE< ONE OF THE BEST AMPS ARE MADE BY THEM IN THE WORLD, SOME OF THE MOST POWER EFFICENT

read the technologies Tab abt this amp

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...9&locale=en_US

This is not a Daily use thing, but RF can run such a mammoth on 12 V DC, then u can imagine how efficient their amps are.
I am sorry to disagree... They used to really good at one point in time when they were MADE IN USA... but since they have shifted to China the whole SQ thing has disappeared.. They may be making amps with Huge numbers but do they actually perform as well.. is the BIG question...
Cheerssss
Old 7th May 2006, 00:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard
recently Xenos speakers! from Pricol makers of Xenos car security systems. displayed at coimbatore auto show
Yup... The ONLY ppl to have a demo vehicle there...Crowd favourite...

Blau had a wall... but sad... Static displays are soooooooo boring!
Old 7th May 2006, 02:37   #21
BHPian

oo dammit how did i forget the recently advertised new brand by the name of " DHOOM " ... no jokes..
Old 7th May 2006, 07:52   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO6
I am sorry to disagree... They used to really good at one point in time when they were MADE IN USA... but since they have shifted to China the whole SQ thing has disappeared.. They may be making amps with Huge numbers but do they actually perform as well.. is the BIG question...
Cheerssss
And i am happy to agree with evo6. These used to be good few yrs back but not any more.Though not sure why this china factor will have so much influence over quality factor.

Recently many brands are being dubbed as having gone down with quality as mnfctring base have been shifted to china,soundstream amplifiers being another example.

I have seen people raelly going after old soundsstream amplifier on ebay.

Quote:
It is my sincere request to senior-BHpians like Navin, Sam, jkdas, gunbir etc.. to take some timeout for us and classify them into categories like:

1. Best Brands (considering performance):
2. Value for money Brands :
3. Low end brands (Desent stuff):
4. Crap brands (ones to look out for):
I had posted a link and a list from some other site about ratings of different brands.though not sure where i posted it.Try searching it.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 7th May 2006 at 07:55.
Old 7th May 2006, 14:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

Its electronics... Design/layout/and specifications are all drawn up in the parent countries... ... All china is doing is assembling... I can understand if one says the physical quality of the finished product is low etc... but things like SQ.. how can that change just becasue its made in China? - ... Is that not an extention of the engineering??
Old 7th May 2006, 15:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
Its electronics... Design/layout/and specifications are all drawn up in the parent countries... ... All china is doing is assembling... I can understand if one says the physical quality of the finished product is low etc... but things like SQ.. how can that change just becasue its made in China? - ... Is that not an extention of the engineering??
The GREAT car amp designers of the yester years like Stephen Mantz, John Fairchild, Rogert Zeff used to work for companies like these, the original American car audio brands.

Then things moved east. The Asians could design cheaper products and build them too. These brands now get their products mass produced by suppliers in China and Korea who build then in accordance to the final price/specifications.

The GREATs I mentioned above have however moved into their own brands like Zapco, Tru etc. They have smaller margins, but great passion and love for car audio. They are doing what they love. So in their case 50% of the products price doesnt go to to the marketing and advertising budget. They spend the money on their product. For example, The TRU amps are built 100% in USA (unlike others cuz you only need 55% local component to call it made in USA) in their own factory by their own people. All parts, heat sinks, packaging, connectors are made in USA. Similarly Audison builds their amps entirely in Italy. Brands like Zapco, Genesis also build their own amps though via subsidiaries in Korea etc.

Now compare this to any major brands and know that while they use great manufacturing techniques and quality control, they can manufacture reliable products, but not necessarily the best sounding ones. Amp design is an art and very few engineers can create magic out of the exact same set of parts. Yes. Even the PCB layout of an amp effects the sound.

To drive home this point, I invite you folks to a casual ABX listening session. Lets compare a 35K Alpine / RF / Kicker amp to a 35K Tru. Seriously, it would be fun...

Last edited by gunbir : 7th May 2006 at 15:21.
Old 7th May 2006, 17:59   #25
BHPian

glyder.and lightning audio also......
Old 7th May 2006, 19:07   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Twister, Dhoom, Dapic also. Yay!
Old 8th May 2006, 02:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO6
Cheerssss
Bro everything is not shifted to China, its just the speakers, the amps are still hand built in Arizona, and if you do follow how the world trade works, China produces all bad products is a myth, how many RF amps have you seen ?
I have used more than 5 different RF Amps and Installed more than 60 in last 2 years, Trust me when i say, IT ROCKS most brand's pants off !!!!
The brand whose quality has actually gone bad is Soundstream, speakers sound worse than base model pioneers at times, Only their capacitors and few amps are still good,
Even The 2004 Product line for Lightning Audio was all ****, the Subs had major relaibility issues.
Since you are in pune why dont u go to see Zareer's car at Tardeo A/C market, Rf demo car, thos speakers are 2005, and as you said they are made in china, see for yourself, Then draw your conclusions.

Last edited by blueraven316 : 8th May 2006 at 02:39.
Old 8th May 2006, 03:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

RF India Car

thought since I spoke abt it, lemme give you guys a preview too, here is what the RF Car looks like inside, pics were taken on the last day when Anwar was finishing the setup, the dent in the middle is for a NOS tank.

Old 8th May 2006, 08:36   #29
BHPian

now that is some neat stuf bother..
Old 8th May 2006, 11:02   #30
Team-BHP Support

This is not related to this install but to almost all these show installs (which have stopped impressing me a long time ago)...

There is no question about the installer technical capabilities but i would really question the installer's taste. Poor Corsa!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks