Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2011, 01:01   #1
BHPian

Use my Accent ICE in the i20?

Hi Team,
I have recently purchased an I20 Magna and it came with an OEM setup. As explained by the sales person , its an Kenwood HU with 4 Kenwood Speakers and 2 tweeters. Though I dont dislike the sound the quality there are many things missing , Like Bass , treble (a lot if it missing) and clarity.
I have sold my accent and kept the following things from that setup:
1. Boston 6*9 Oval speakers.
2. Xenos Active Subwoofer
3. 4 channel Amp
4. Pioneer 5250SD HU
5. All the wiring included the fuse.
GURUS please help me and let me know if Any of the above can be used in my new car or should I use any of this in teh new car or not.
DO explain if the I20 OEM HU will support the rest of the things or do i need to change the HU too.
In case I have to change the HU , Can i use the single din PIO from the prev car or I have to upgrade to a double din.
Old 2nd November 2011, 18:18   #2
BHPian

Re: Use my Accent ICE in the i20?

Note from Team-BHP Support : We do NOT permit bumping up your own query. Such posts are classified as SPAM. Please do NOT inconvenience other users by bumping up your own posts.

Last edited by GTO : 4th November 2011 at 15:44.
garry.brant is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd November 2011, 22:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

If you just transpose all that equipment to the i20, the 6x9 and the active sub will give you a very bass-heavy sound. You are missing a set of good components up front (especially if you say the OE Kenwoods are not satisfactory) and perhaps an amp to balance the rest of the system with the active sub.

First, put in the 6x9 (connected to the rear speaker channels of the Kenwood HU, replacing the round coaxes in the rear doors). Adjust the OE Kenwood HU to get a feeling of what improved and what didn't. Add the active sub, connecting , setting the gain so that at normal volume you can just hear the sub. Increase the gain if you want more thump.

See if replacing the HU makes any difference in the sound. IMHO, the most difference would be made by a set of good components replacing the OE Kenwood components. Beyond that, only an amp powering the components and the 6x9s will make the ultimate difference.
Old 2nd November 2011, 23:14   #4
BHPian

Thanks for replying Deralte,
Here is the plan i have in my mind,
Get a line level adapter and add a four channel amp to the HU to power the front KU speakers with tweeters and the rest 2 Chanells will be given to the Oval Boston speakers (they have amazing Highs).
Add another Line level adapter and power the Active sub with that.
As of now i believe you have 4 cables going from the HU to the front and Rear door speakers and tweeters are sharing the same cable from the front door. ( Thats just my assumption). More clear picture will be visible tomorrow morning when I go the installer. You never know I may go front Components in case I get a good buck for OEM speakers.
Old 3rd November 2011, 11:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good plan, @garry.brant!

1. You don't need another Line Level Adapter for the sub - just a pair of Y cables off the front channel will do
2. The tweeters would be (most likely) connected to a tap-off from the mid-bass in the door with a capacitor in series
3. If you are adding an amp to start with, retain the OE speakers first, increase the high-frequencies just a tad at the equalizer on the HU and see if you like the speakers
4. The OE speakers are unlikely to fetch you a good price but definitely a new pair of good components in the OE location will do wonders
Old 7th November 2011, 22:16   #6
BHPian

Went to chandigarh sec 26, 27 , 28 , unable to find a good installer , who can handle I20 ICE.
How did I decide ..?
Ans: I asked them if they know what brand HU is used in I20 , and they answered Its an Hyundai HU that Hyundai speacialy makes for I20. I insisted that its not the case , they insisted on opening the HU and show the Hyundai LOGO.
I know that its a KU Head unit but if they dont even know that , they better dont get the chance to work on my machine.
Next month going to delhi, wil get it dont there.
Old 10th December 2011, 19:18   #7
BHPian

My ICE is done,
Used the same OEM speakers in the front.
Added boston S96 in the rear parcel tray.
Same OEM speakers in the Rear doors.
Added 4 Ch Sound barrier Amp.
Added Xenos Active Sub, under the drivers seat.
The Amp is powering Rear tray Boston Speakers and Front OEM speakers , the Sub doesnt need AMP as it has one inbuilt. The Head unit remains the same as didnt want to get rid of the display.
Now using the front speakers for highes and Rear for HIgh and mIds , Satisfied with the performance.
Total money spent 2.5K
Old 4th August 2013, 11:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry.brant View Post
My ICE is done,
Used the same OEM speakers in the front.
Added boston S96 in the rear parcel tray.
Same OEM speakers in the Rear doors.
Added 4 Ch Sound barrier Amp.
Added Xenos Active Sub, under the drivers seat.
The Amp is powering Rear tray Boston Speakers and Front OEM speakers , the Sub doesnt need AMP as it has one inbuilt. The Head unit remains the same as didnt want to get rid of the display.
Now using the front speakers for highes and Rear for HIgh and mIds , Satisfied with the performance.
Total money spent 2.5K
How did you manage this without a converter ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks