Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2012, 12:07   #61
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: ICE upgrade : Mahindra XUV 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
This is an idea i thought about too. But on long distance travel, it will be really painful to hold the tab and sit. Headrest display would be easy for elders.
I was thinking more like the following (image picked from the net. Copyright with original creator)
ICE upgrade : Mahindra XUV500-carheadrestholderforipadipad2tabletpc.jpg

Quote:
And the build quality of the unit is on the down side by looking at the pictures. I don’t think I will go in for this option.
Somehow I was pretty sure that you will come to that conclusion. Accessories -even the so called OEM once- stick out like a sore thumb in most cases, especially on the quality and fit&finish front.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 22:33   #62

hi folks,

I will be taking delivery of my XUV W8 next week. Am really very excited about buying it. It's my first car and there is this sense of excitement I cannot explain!

I listened to the output of the speakers during the longish test drive I had and also at the Mahindra service centre and decided that I must change the speakers (plus add on a sub + amp).

My reading & research took me to meet Vijay from Hi Def (old TMC Electronics) and he mentioned that there is this hissing sound from the speakers (once upgraded from stock ones) when the music is at low volume and it is not possible to prevent that from happening.

I've read this thread but cannot seem to find an answer and hence would like to know if any of you folks who upgraded your speakers have faced similar issues once you have upgraded from the original speakers that came with the XUV?.

@sheelapratosh, @Digitalsoul - both of you seem to have done fantastic upgrades - your inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Is there a hissing sound when you upgrade speakers and if yes, is there a solution?

Thank you.
Old 18th August 2012, 11:16   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand Govind
My reading & research took me to meet Vijay from Hi Def (old TMC Electronics) and he mentioned that there is this hissing sound from the speakers (once upgraded from stock ones) when the music is at low volume and it is not possible to prevent that from happening.

I've read this thread but cannot seem to find an answer and hence would like to know if any of you folks who upgraded your speakers have faced similar issues once you have upgraded from the original speakers that came with the XUV?.
Correct me if I am wrong, you have retained your stock HU and upgraded the speakers without adding an amplifier and are getting a hiss?

Have you tried other speakers?
Old 18th August 2012, 12:40   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand Govind View Post
Is there a hissing sound when you upgrade speakers and if yes, is there a solution?
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, you have retained your stock HU and upgraded the speakers without adding an amplifier and are getting a hiss?
Have you tried other speakers?
Navin -I think your assumption is corect. He has just replaced the speakers and the new speakes produce a hissing sound.

Anand- As suggestedPlease try other speakers (Different piece and different models too). The seller cannot deny another speaker as your would be under warranty. Not able to cure the "hissing" is definetly an attempt to try to make a fool of people. I got hissing and some weird noises on my Santro too, where the speakers were replaced under warranty and now hissing is history.
Old 18th August 2012, 17:46   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... you have retained your stock HU and upgraded the speakers without adding an amplifier and are getting a hiss? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Navin -I think your assumption is corect. He has just replaced the speakers and the new speakes produce a hissing sound. ...
He is yet to get the vehicle!!!

He said "... Vijay from Hi Def (old TMC Electronics) and he mentioned that there is this hissing sound from the speakers (once upgraded from stock ones) when the music is at low volume and it is not possible to prevent that from happening". Nice subtle way of a salesman to get the prospect to replace the stock HU and the speakers, and possibly add an amp and sub.

@anand_govind, it is better that you ask at other shops. You are not far away from Koramangala, where you have 3 possibilities - Thouqeer (Auto Fusion), Anwar (Top Gear) and Sachin (Sachin's Autoshop). Check in the Bangalore installers directory for their location.
Old 19th August 2012, 10:36   #66

@Navin - as mentioned by DerAlte, am yet to take delivery of my car and hence have not tried other speakers. The plan is to add an amplifier - mostly a Hertz HE 4 or a Focal Solid 4.

@Scorpiobharath - the hissing sound is apparently a problem if the original speakers from Mahindra are replaced. Possibly the new wiring with the upgrades speakers are causing interference somewhere. Apparently the amplifier amplifies the hissing sound!. I'm leaning towards the Focal Intergration series comps for the front and co-ax for the rear.

@DerAlte - thanks, I will visit the 3 folks you've mentioned and seek their advise. I won't fall of the salesmans trick of getting me to change the stock HU since I think there is a bunch of electronics tied to the stock HU.
Old 19th August 2012, 12:15   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand Govind
the hissing sound is apparently a problem if the original speakers from Mahindra are replaced.
This should NOT cause hissing

If the replacement speakers are standard car audio speakers they would have about the same impedance as the stock speakers. I don't see any reason why the replacement speakers hiss unless the stock speaker's HF response is rolled off. If this is true then the stock speakers would sound rather dull.
Old 19th August 2012, 15:20   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand Govind View Post
@Scorpiobharath - the hissing sound is apparently a problem if the original speakers from Mahindra are replaced.
Quote:
This should NOT cause hissing

If the replacement speakers are standard car audio speakers they would have about the same impedance as the stock speakers. I don't see any reason why the replacement speakers hiss unless the stock speaker's HF response is rolled off. If this is true then the stock speakers would sound rather dull.
I agree to Navin - Just changing speakers and wiring will no proice hissing sounds. There are threads on tbhp where custom ICE has been succesfully installed on XUV. Check other dealers too. I am sure someone will help you out.
Old 10th September 2012, 17:24   #69
BHPian

Quote:
I checked the details of head rest screens and it is not a simple setup as i thought. The one's M&M calling as Genuine accessory is a standalone 7 inches unit having its own DVD tray beneath the screen and a USB port for USB devices. The audio is transferred through FM transmitter to the main head unit. Power will be taken from tapping some wires around B pillar. Price including both screens would be around 15K.

And the build quality of the unit is on the down side by looking at the pictures. I don’t think I will go in for this option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I was thinking more like the following (image picked from the net. Copyright with original creator)

Somehow I was pretty sure that you will come to that conclusion. Accessories -even the so called OEM once- stick out like a sore thumb in most cases, especially on the quality and fit&finish front.
Thanks HCP and SDP for sharing your thoughts. May I ask which options you guys finally went with?
As you guys mentioned, I am planning a similar set up once I get my XUV (I know this is like counting chicken before the eggs have hatched . My wife was insisting on getting the genuine accessory of the head rest screens from the showroom, but I somehow don't want to go with that option as I had similar views as HCP.
I was thinking about getting a couple of Nexus 7 tabs from the US, which would cost me about 12K per pop and getting it mounted to the front seats like SDP's image. I think this option would work nicely. I am slightly worried about other consequences tough. Will need to be wary of leaving the vehicle with the valet and stuff like that. Maybe we should remove the devices and use them only on long drives. Anyways, your thoughts please!

Finally, i heard from one of the other recent owners that the new lot of XUV's have better speakers. Can someone confirm this?

Last edited by DoneAndDusted : 10th September 2012 at 17:30.
Old 10th September 2012, 17:43   #70
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
I was thinking about getting a couple of Nexus 7 tabs from the US, which would cost me about 12K per pop and getting it mounted to the front seats like SDP's image. I think this option would work nicely. ...
I have reached a similar conclusion. I will go with an iPad-3 when I can afford one.
Old 10th September 2012, 18:42   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Finally, i heard from one of the other recent owners that the new lot of XUV's have better speakers. Can someone confirm this?

I really do not know this for sure and don't want to ask about this to the RM (they will give the standard "Oh Yes" reply to that). However, when I was taking the delivery I had very little expectations from the stock setup considering the reviews and the initial feedbacks. However, I was surprised that the sound quality while may not be something exemplary it is also not that bad as to be of abject dispair. I guess i can easily live with it for now.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 19:07   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I have reached a similar conclusion. I will go with an iPad-3 when I can afford one.
Thanks SDP! I was favoring the Android tabs as it will be easier to play any sort of media, especially since this is going to be used for the road. iPad will need iTunes and will not play some of the common media formats unless we convert them (mkv, avi etc). Hence getting the pad loaded is going to be a bit tricky. To top it all I will get 2 Nexus's for less than the price of 1 iPad . the iPad3 screen can't be beat though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I really do not know this for sure and don't want to ask about this to the RM (they will give the standard "Oh Yes" reply to that). However, when I was taking the delivery I had very little expectations from the stock setup considering the reviews and the initial feedbacks. However, I was surprised that the sound quality while may not be something exemplary it is also not that bad as to be of abject dispair. I guess i can easily live with it for now.
Thanks Zappo! I can also live with a decent stock set up. I hope mahindra has taken feedback on the audio and put in better speakers. I guess we might be able to check with one of the technicians on the mahindra shop floor to get a confirmation. As you mentioned, the RM will not provide anything worthwhile.
btw: a bit off topic, but since you are from Hyd, can you help with this question I posted on the other thread?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2898584
Old 11th September 2012, 08:21   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks HCP and SDP for sharing your thoughts. May I ask which options you guys finally went with?
I have ruled out the genuine head rest option for sure. They are really cheap with WQVGA (480x240) display resolution. So buying a proper ipad dock for the head rest would be the best option. You can also buy the cheaper tabs with 10.1 inches display from eBay, that will be safe to leave inside the car while parked. But one should buy tabs with Bluetooth A2DP so that you can connect it wireless to the XUV audio.

HCP.
HotChillyPepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 10:00   #74
BHPian

Quote:
I have ruled out the genuine head rest option for sure. They are really cheap with WQVGA (480x240) display resolution. So buying a proper ipad dock for the head rest would be the best option. You can also buy the cheaper tabs with 10.1 inches display from eBay, that will be safe to leave inside the car while parked. But one should buy tabs with Bluetooth A2DP so that you can connect it wireless to the XUV audio.

HCP.
Thanks HCP! Most of the cheaper tabs have bad screens, the nexus 7 with its feature list and reasonable pricing is the best bet IMO .
On the bluetooth front, I agree with you to help with connectivity, but since these will be used by the rear passenger (read my kid and parents/in-laws), I am not sure if I would like the sound to be connected to the HU. Won't this mean we will only hear whats being played on these devices? I would rather have the rear passengers use the devices speakers or use head phones rather than make me hear cartoons or boring serials while I am driving
DoneAndDusted is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 17:03   #75

hi folks - so I finally got my XUV last Friday and it's been absolutely exhilarating driving it!

Further to my prior post, I made the following additions/modifications

- Front - Hertz - Energy Series Components - ESK 165
- Rear - Focal - Coaxial - Access Series
- Sub Woofer - Polk Audio - 12" - db Series + enclosure + grille
- Amp 1 - to run speakers - Hertz HE 4
- Amp 2 - to run sub - Cerwin Vega - HED Series - 500.1
- RCA - Monster cables
- Power - Ghost cables
- Hi Lo Convertor - Stinger
- Damping for speakers
- Reverse Camera

The set up installation was complete only last night at 2am!! and so I haven't had the time to open the volume and tune up the amps to perfection...but I plan to do so later today.

The effect so far, is simply put...disturbing the neighbours!! I love it!!

I had originally wanted to buy the Focal Polyglass components, but the thing has not been available in Bangalore for the last 10 days. Infact, I went looking for it and ended up in Car Shringar on JC Road. I had spoken with someone named Akshay (Mission Road outlet) at Car Shringar and he asked to come over as he had stock of the same, I have very surprised he had stock!. I went to JC Road outlet and they said they will bring it from the Mission Road outlet. I waited 30 minutes and they bring me...the Integra Series..not the Polyglass!!..was so irritated that I wasted my tine, the guy also tried to sell me the Solid 4 amp, but I said I didn't want it..the guy said that the Polyglass series is being discontinued and hence no stock anywhere in Bangalore...I hadn't heard the Integra series so was unsure about its performance

I have also left the original tweeters in the dashboard since there are very small and there is no space to fit any other tweeter.

While I'm thrilled to bits with the set up, I seem to have lost the full functionality of the parking assist and the bluetooth. The parking assist beeps can be heard only in the tweeters...really low volume with the music on you cant hear the beep. And when I connect the phone via bluetooth to the system, I can hear the other persons voice only on the tweeters again. Im sure it will be a similar problem with the GPS too.

Could I request those who have done after market mods to kindly advise how they have sorted this problem?. Was another speaker fitted elsewhere or something?

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks