Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2011, 12:35   #1
BHPian

ICE upgrade : Mahindra XUV500

I am getting delivery of w8 XUV5OO on monday.
I want to keep the stock head unit as it displays array range of information.
I wanted to change all the speakers to a good quality speakers.(budget is not a problem.Please advice which brand should I go for?Also I dont want to install any amplifier ,just good set of speakers,tweeters.

Regs

Kedar
Old 29th October 2011, 13:29   #2
BHPian

Re: ice for XUV 500

Dear Kedar ,

1 . First find out what is the size of speakers we have in XUV ?
2. As XUV is still a brand new car entering the ICE Market , not many will be aware of the size on components in front, back door and the room available say for a Sub Woofers .
3. Without this piece of info , it would be very difficult when u go to a ICE Installation area .
4. The area as seen in photographs for mounting speakers as seen in the door does not have room .
5. One has to create room for mounting the speakers .
6. Some expensive components will have large magnet and need space for installation
7. Be careful while changing any of the connectivity as the current ICE is also to be used for other purposes .
8. With Head unit being permanent and not much scope to replace , suggest you to look at iPad integration on the HU , with necessary speaker changes in the relevant space
Ranga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2011, 14:30   #3
BHPian

Re: ice for XUV 500

I think first you need to find out Speaker Outputs, Most head units have outputs that are designed for driving 2 to 4 speakers. These outputs provide the audio output power to drive the speakers. The power output from a high power head unit is limited (by battery voltage) to approximately 20 watts per 4 ohm speaker. hence its recommended to check how much output HU can produce hence Amps require... for high end speakers. (Guru Correct me if i am wrong here)

Disclosure :- i have booked XUV 500 too and planning to upgrade stock speakers.
Old 29th October 2011, 20:00   #4
BHPian

re: ICE upgrade : Mahindra XUV 500

Disclaimer : Checked one of my friends W6 , and assuming only the head unit is different in W8

1) Virtually no space to install subwoofers , not sure if expert installers would be able to find enough real estate to put any enclosed sub . To me it seems , only if the third row seats are removed , you can get enough real estate for subwoofers.

2) If I remember correctly , XUV doesn't comes fitted with front component. So , changing speakers won't be a plug & play activity.
worldcrawler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2011, 23:07   #5
BHPian

I have seen people install subwoofers into the backside of rear seat so maybe its possible to install the subwoofer into the seatback of the 3rd row in the xuv
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcrawler View Post
Disclaimer : Checked one of my friends W6 , and assuming only the head unit is different in W8

1) Virtually no space to install subwoofers , not sure if expert installers would be able to find enough real estate to put any enclosed sub . To me it seems , only if the third row seats are removed , you can get enough real estate for subwoofers.
Old 29th October 2011, 23:16   #6
MAS
Senior - BHPian

One could also try to install the speakers onto the rear door (hatch door?) bottom half. This will not compromise the small boot.
Old 29th October 2011, 23:43   #7
BHPian

Do be aware that the electronics in the XUV 500 are interlinked including the system so be very careful in making any changes/ additions from outside as it may void the warranty given that M&M folks would not like to take any chances....
Old 30th October 2011, 01:10   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
I have seen people install subwoofers into the backside of rear seat so maybe its possible to install the subwoofer into the seatback of the 3rd row in the xuv
I agree , have seen couple of these type of woofers , ARC and infiniti basslink T with dual radiators . As they are flat , they can be fitted behind the backseat. But the options are really limited and very expensive.
Old 30th October 2011, 02:05   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I have seen people install subwoofers
i don't think xuv has any space if the last row seats are up for any subwoofer box. as the budget is not constraint get a active under-seat sub [something like Focal BUS 20]

and components can go in the door pads.. ofcourse some amount of cutting would be required [but without an amp 'm not sure of the effectiveness of aftermarket components]

all the best
Old 30th October 2011, 20:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

IMO you first experience the stock system setup for some time and then think about it. I got to experience some in my friend's XUV and it is not GREAT but definitely can live with it. Better not spoil the fitments as they seem to be done pretty to the fitting. Plus XUV500 does not have any space left to really make it an entertainment box. For better SQL you may look at JBL, Morel Maximo, Rockford Fosgate but only after you personally experience the default setup and auditioning these components and checking their feasibility.
Old 31st October 2011, 00:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

XUV 500 is pre-installed with 2 tweetwers and 4 speakers attached to its infotainment integrated system.

You may attach a MX-1 or LC7 OEM audio Integration add up a SQ 4channel amplifier and install Components in both doors.Stock location for the front can be done,whereas the Tweeter placement needs to be custom fitted in the rear doors.They are quite easy to install without tampering the electrical system/wires of the vehicle only needs a hands on experience installers who do OEM integration and processor setups

Yess a Subwoofer also can be installed easily,just needs a custom made enclosure.

Ramie
Old 1st November 2011, 17:27   #12
BHPian

I guess the option for subwoofer is either under the middle row seat or installing something like a bass tube... which might just fit when placed horizontally behind the last row of seats when they are up and when they are down, it shouldn't be a problem at all. and I think it can also be removed when you require more luggage space as its mostly plug and play device i think as I remember one of my friend had put it in his accent and he use to remove it when the luggage was more. so better check that option too.

but I think that you will require to install amps for the sub as well as some good quality speakers.

you can check out Rockford Fosgate or Bose for speakers.

looking forward to your final setup as I am also waiting for the bookings to re-open to book an XUV myself and my priority will be a great sounding ICE.
Old 3rd November 2011, 21:29   #13
BHPian

Had been to a local installer and he said that this oem converter connects to speaker wire and the rc out to the amplifier and sub.

I am extremely happy with the oem hu,but the audio output is pathetic.
Attached Images

Old 4th November 2011, 21:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Sound processor for XUV w6

Hi Guys,

I would be getting my W6 XUV this coming week and would like to know which would be the best sound processor as i don't want to change the stock HU. Reason for not changing HU is due to the car being new in the market and i don't want to fiddle with the warranty as you guys already know that Mahindra is not well known for there electronics hence wanna stay out of it. Also would like to have the audio controls on the steering, hence changing HU would make them useless (even though would have loved to change it as W6 HU does not play video's)

As for the choice, I have a Alpine PXE-H660, Alpine PXE-H650, RF 3sixty.2 and the top of the line JBL MS-8.

Now JBL would be the best but the price is a killer in comparison to Alpine and RF.

So the first question is: What does JBL offer more than rest of the competition to charge this price?

If i take out JBL (due to the price), then out of the 3, which would be the best one?

Request ICE guru's to please advice. If there are other better processor's that you can think of, then you are more than welcome to advice.

FYI: I already have Alpine SPX 17PRO comps, Morel Tempo comps, DLS RA20 amp, JBL 1004 amp, IDV3 12' sub and Kicker Dual amp wiring all lying with me looking forward for a new home

@Mods: I know there's already a thread recently open by a member for XUV but the reason i am opening a new thread is due to different requirements of mine. If you still think its duplicate, then please merge.
Old 4th November 2011, 21:35   #15
Team-BHP Support

Re: Sound processor for XUV w6

Some 2 years ago I checked out the 650 and 360.2. THe version of the 360.2 I got has a little hiss (but I am told RF has fixed that since) so I took the 650.

However all 4 processors you have mentioned limit the control you have over the sound both with respect to Time Alignment as well as the tonal balance. To get the sound I like I had to trick the 650.

One way is to position the mic about 6-12" in front of where your ears are going to be so the TAQ pushes the the bass more to the front. Another trick is to set the tweeterXO to say +3db and then post processor drop it back to 0db or -3db to reduce the HF content. Lastly I pushed the gain on my rear channels of the amp up a little bit as the processsor had set the rear chanel levels way too low and my son was complaining he could not hear much in the rear.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed