Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2011, 20:10   #1
BHPian

ICE for the Toyota Liva

Please suggest Stereo for my Toyota Liva with the following features?
Double Din, USB, Bluetooth, DVD playback. Touch feature is not madatory.

The Liva comes with 4 speakers factory fitted (Two on the dash and two fitted to front doors). Hence I do not require speakers and I hope the stereo fitting should be easy. The Toyota OEM stereo costs around 18,000 (with fitting charges) that has double din and DVD playback. No USB and no blue tooth. And that stereo does not look good as well. Hence thought of going for other makes.

I have considered the below:
Poineer 3350BT and JVC 846. But not sure about the prices and features. Any suggestions
Old 4th November 2011, 21:41   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: ICE suggestion for Toyota Liva

The 3350 probably has better SQ, the JVC should have more features.

I'd seriously upgrade the OEM speakers. Most OEM speakers aren't great.
navin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 11:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICE suggestion for Toyota Liva

3350BT would be good if you do not want to go for higher touchscreen 4390 with larger LCD. It seems to have better SQL comparatively than the competition. We have earlier version 4250 in our Innova and it works charmingly. As per my experience with Etios, you will need better speakers, Front Door Speakers and Rear parcel Tray/Rear Door Speakers, check out JBL, Morel, RF especially with the DVD HU.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 17:45   #4
BHPian

Re: ICE for the Toyota Liva

Hey guys,
any suggestions for the rear speakers of the Liva?
Which brand to go in? and how much will it cost?
The speakers in the front are of no use, the sound doesn't reach the rear!
Also, there is no provision for fixing the speakers in the rear, so will have to change the parcel tray in order to fix the speakers!
Old 25th July 2012, 21:04   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
Hey guys,
any suggestions for the rear speakers of the Liva?
Which brand to go in? and how much will it cost?
The speakers in the front are of no use, the sound doesn't reach the rear!
Also, there is no provision for fixing the speakers in the rear, so will have to change the parcel tray in order to fix the speakers!
The stock speakers given in the car is nothing but crap. You can get the Ovals on an MDF plate in the place of parcel tray and get the wiring done. Ensure that the door beading are put back in place when removed.

You can refer to my thread for the ICE Installation photos here
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 21:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

The entry level Pioneers have low resolution screens compared to JVC or Sony. If you're not using an amp then Sony/JVC have little more RMS output from the headunit compared to entry level Pioneer, but I don't know if it matters much.

I have used Kenwood Excelon x7016 and Alpine CDA117 previously, both of these are SQ oriented sets, and with regard to sound quality i would say that entry level Sony 2 DIN DVD set the Sony XAV63 is not bad at all! I have one in my car connected directly to Morel Tempo components, no amp. The HU has got basic sound tuning features, TA and a 24 bit DAC. It is not the best but it is definitely not bad either and is pretty good with the sound and the display is very clear. I paid 18.4k for XAV63, it doesn't have BT but if you need BT then you can look at Sony XAV64BT.
Old 23rd August 2012, 14:25   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The entry level Pioneers have low resolution screens compared to JVC or Sony. If you're not using an amp then Sony/JVC have little more RMS output from the headunit compared to entry level Pioneer, but I don't know if it matters much.

I have used Kenwood Excelon x7016 and Alpine CDA117 previously, both of these are SQ oriented sets, and with regard to sound quality i would say that entry level Sony 2 DIN DVD set the Sony XAV63 is not bad at all! I have one in my car connected directly to Morel Tempo components, no amp. The HU has got basic sound tuning features, TA and a 24 bit DAC. It is not the best but it is definitely not bad either and is pretty good with the sound and the display is very clear. I paid 18.4k for XAV63, it doesn't have BT but if you need BT then you can look at Sony XAV64BT.
Sankar,
I am planning to buy XAV63 for my swift. How is your exp with this HU so far? Though I wanted bluetooth, the price quoted for BT systems are beyond my budget. Would like to know how XAV63 performs, w.r.t video playback, sound quality etc and Aux in feature for taking calls.
Old 23rd August 2012, 15:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Sankar,
I am planning to buy XAV63 for my swift. How is your exp with this HU so far? Though I wanted bluetooth, the price quoted for BT systems are beyond my budget. Would like to know how XAV63 performs, w.r.t video playback, sound quality etc and Aux in feature for taking calls.
XAV63 has exceeded my expectations from Sony wrt audio quality, and video is good too no complaints wrt quality. I have paired the set without any amp to Morel tempo 6 components and the output is really good. While selecting speakers go for high sensitivity speakers if you don't plan to install amps, speakers with high sensitivity plays well from HU. Morel Tempo is one and Focal Polyglass is another and there are others just that i haven't heard them.

When it comes to video playback the format supported is .mp4 as per the manual, but it can play .avi and .mp4 files. It doesn't play .mkv.

Audio quality is good, RMS output is strong and it doesn't clip even at 30 while playing some infected mushroom songs. The time alignment works and can be adjusted eventhough it comes with some some presets. The Front R preset is just right for the New Swift with tweeters in the sail panel.

USB reading is quick too, my Alpine CDA117 used to take a long time to bank the tracks.

It doesn't have a detachable faceplate, that is one minus. But otherwise its a VFM set for 18.5k.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 15:10   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
XAV63 has exceeded my expectations from Sony wrt audio quality, and video is good too no complaints wrt quality. I have paired the set without any amp to Morel tempo 6 components and the output is really good. While selecting speakers go for high sensitivity speakers if you don't plan to install amps, speakers with high sensitivity plays well from HU. Morel Tempo is one and Focal Polyglass is another and there are others just that i haven't heard them.

When it comes to video playback the format supported is .mp4 as per the manual, but it can play .avi and .mp4 files. It doesn't play .mkv.

Audio quality is good, RMS output is strong and it doesn't clip even at 30 while playing some infected mushroom songs. The time alignment works and can be adjusted eventhough it comes with some some presets. The Front R preset is just right for the New Swift with tweeters in the sail panel.

USB reading is quick too, my Alpine CDA117 used to take a long time to bank the tracks.

It doesn't have a detachable faceplate, that is one minus. But otherwise its a VFM set for 18.5k.
Thanks for the detailed response. Mine is an old swift(2009) with sony components installed on front doors and pioneer co-axials in the back (no amps). My current HU is some single din pioneer model (dont remember the make). I am only changing the HU as of now. I want something to keep my son entertained during long drives hence quality of video/dvd playback is important.
Noticed that it doesn't have detachable faceplate which is a bit of a worry. Price quoted is 17.5K @ Kochi.
Old 24th March 2013, 17:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post

The stock speakers given in the car is nothing but crap. You can get the Ovals on an MDF plate in the place of parcel tray and get the wiring done. Ensure that the door beading are put back in place when removed.

You can refer to my thread for the ICE Installation photos here

Sir, I am also planning to buy music system for my Liva. I was thinking the factory speakers would be sufficient but from this thread it appears that I have to upgrade and buy additional speakers for the rear as well. I would not prefer fixing speakers on the parcel tray since I would not be able to remove it incase I want to load some big items in the boot. Instead can the speakers be fixed on the C pillar so that the parcel tray is not disturbed? Also I am not much of music connoisseur and not looking for the top notch sound quality. Most of the time it will be the FM channels.
Waiting for suggestions to pour in. Thanks.
Old 24th March 2013, 22:23   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612

Sir, I am also planning to buy music system for my Liva. I was thinking the factory speakers would be sufficient but from this thread it appears that I have to upgrade and buy additional speakers for the rear as well. I would not prefer fixing speakers on the parcel tray since I would not be able to remove it incase I want to load some big items in the boot. Instead can the speakers be fixed on the C pillar so that the parcel tray is not disturbed? Also I am not much of music connoisseur and not looking for the top notch sound quality. Most of the time it will be the FM channels.
Waiting for suggestions to pour in. Thanks.
You will be shocked when you remove the original speakers fitted by Toyota! Its nothing but a 20w output speakers which came out when I changed the front door speakers to JBL. Install components it will give you a decent sound.
Old 25th March 2013, 14:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
... I was thinking the factory speakers would be sufficient but from this thread it appears that I have to upgrade and buy additional speakers for the rear as well. I would not prefer fixing speakers on the parcel tray since I would not be able to remove it incase I want to load some big items in the boot. Instead can the speakers be fixed on the C pillar so that the parcel tray is not disturbed? ...
Noooo, not on the C-pillar - that is a thin FRP moulding that can't take any weight!

1. If you want to do with a very low budget, buy co-axial speakers for the front and back (OE door location). Buy a decent brand like JBL, Infinity, Polk, Boston, even Pioneer (Sony is not in the same league). These will cost you ~2K for a pair. One would definitely recommend oval coaxials (6x9) on parcel shelf (instead of round coaxes in rear doors) for the feeling of bass it brings in

2. The replacement MDF parcel shelf to fix oval coaxials is not screwed in place - it is left free to swing out. That should solve the problem of big items in the boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwift1819 View Post
... original speakers fitted by Toyota! Its nothing but a 20w output speakers ... Install components it will give you a decent sound.
The 20W is not the problem, since most Head Units supply much less than that. It is the poor sound that comes out of those bad quality speakers that is the problem.
Old 7th April 2014, 09:30   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Noooo, not on the C-pillar - that is a thin FRP moulding that can't take any weight!

1. If you want to do with a very low budget, buy co-axial speakers for the front and back (OE door location). Buy a decent brand like JBL, Infinity, Polk, Boston, even Pioneer (Sony is not in the same league). These will cost you ~2K for a pair. One would definitely recommend oval coaxials (6x9) on parcel shelf (instead of round coaxes in rear doors) for the feeling of bass it brings in

2. The replacement MDF parcel shelf to fix oval coaxials is not screwed in place - it is left free to swing out. That should solve the problem of big items in the boot

The 20W is not the problem, since most Head Units supply much less than that. It is the poor sound that comes out of those bad quality speakers that is the problem.
Reviving an old thread simply due to the dearth of similar threads.

The requirements are for a Liva GD (comes with factory fitted HU and a set of front speakers):

1) Add a pair of rear speakers on a MDF parcel tray. Suggested models and locations in B'lore where I may source them please?

2) Replacements for the front pair of speakers - Again suggestions please. This may be optional, hence listing it as another line item.

3) Does Liva come with wiring for the rear, by default? Also any mechanism to reduce the volume for the rear without playing around with the HU?

Focus is SQ within minimal cost 80% of the drive is with just one occupant (the driver).

Any help/ pointers appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by vinjosep : 7th April 2014 at 09:35.
Old 7th April 2014, 14:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
... 1) Add a pair of rear speakers on a MDF I parcel tray. ...
6x9" coaxial speakers. JBL, Infinity, Polk, Pioneer, etc. would cost 3-5K for pair. Listen to the speakers before deciding.

Quote:
... 2) Replacements for the front pair of speakers - ...
This should be your first action instead of being an optional item. This creates the maximum impact in the front seats -the front sound image. Get a pair of components - Infinity, JBL, Boston, Polk, Morel, etc. would cost 5-6K.

Quote:
... 3) Does Liva come with wiring for the rear, by default? ...
Not sure. Probably for rear door OE locations. Shouldn't be a problem to pull a pair of wires from HU rear output to the ovals on parcel tray. Installers know how to do that.

Quote:
... Also any mechanism to reduce the volume for the rear without playing around with the HU? ...
The standard, and perhaps the only way, is the Fader control on the HU.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2014, 21:23   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
6x9" coaxial speakers. JBL, Infinity, Polk, Pioneer, etc. would cost 3-5K for pair. Listen to the speakers before deciding.

This should be your first action instead of being an optional item. This creates the maximum impact in the front seats -the front sound image. Get a pair of components - Infinity, JBL, Boston, Polk, Morel, etc. would cost 5-6K.

Not sure. Probably for rear door OE locations. Shouldn't be a problem to pull a pair of wires from HU rear output to the ovals on parcel tray. Installers know how to do that.

The standard, and perhaps the only way, is the Fader control on the HU.
Thank you. Will audition a few and then decide on the speakers, as suggested.

Liva does not have provision for rear speakers. So current priority is to get an equal amount of the sound to the rear passengers. For the moment the front ones are ok for normal duty at moderate volume levels.

If money permits, will go ahead with changing the front speakers as well since we can do with better SQ

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks