Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2011, 23:39   #1
BHPian

Fozzie gets new ICE!

It all started with a innocuous visit to Driven to get some Dynamat/Roadkill to damp out some of the road noise coming from the hatch area in my Forester.
I was also in the middle of my CarPC project and was looking for a cheap|nice| 4 channel amplifier to power the speakers.
I bought some Stinger Roadkill and enquired about the various options available with them. Mentioned the CarPC and was told that I should be speaking to Gunbir to get better advice.

Met Gunbir the very next day and discussed the carpc and various amplifier options. However, one thing led to another and before I knew it I was looking at upgrading the whole ICE in my car.

Although my shopping list kept changing almost everyday for the next month, my requirements were simple and static.
I needed a couple of sweet sounding components up front, a sub or two in the hatch area and a good amp to drive them all.
The only pre requisite was that I did not want to lose any storage space in the hatch and the sub/amp/speakers should not be in open view.

This is how the spec sheet looks currently:

1) Source: CarPC | Asus Xonar D2X
2) Front: Dynaudio Esotec 242GT
2) Sub: ID8V3 D2
5) Amp: Mosconi AS 100.4
6) RCA: Gladen Interconnects | Neutric 3.5mm Connector
7) Damping: Stnger Extreme Roadkill | Dynaliner | Dynamat Extreme
8) Power Cable: Rockford Fosgate 4AWG
9) SpeakerCable: Van den Hul - The Twin

Some pics of the goodies going in:

Fozzie gets new ICE!-_mg_9368.jpg
Fozzie gets new ICE!-_mg_9369.jpg
Fozzie gets new ICE!-_mg_9375.jpg
Fozzie gets new ICE!-_mg_9379.jpg
Fozzie gets new ICE!-_mg_9819.jpg
Fozzie gets new ICE!-img_0382a.jpg
Name:  IMG_0622a.jpg
Views: 1930
Size:  54.7 KB
Fozzie gets new ICE!-img_0386a.jpg

Last edited by gotzuk : 8th November 2011 at 00:09.
gotzuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 06:44   #2
TOR
BHPian

Re: Fozzie gets new ICE!

Congrats on the built. Are the ID subs the new variant(from the look of the magnet). Could you also highlight on the cost-TIA.
Old 8th November 2011, 10:17   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR View Post
Congrats on the built. Are the ID subs the new variant(from the look of the magnet). Could you also highlight on the cost-TIA.
Thanks TOR. These subs are not the new variant, they the Eric Stevens/Image Dynamics units. I got them from BBW and they retail for 9500.
Cheers
Old 10th November 2011, 10:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is a fantastic install. Driven has put up the install pics on their FB page, and I was thoroughly impressed by the attention to detail. Congrats!!!!

Just 2 questions:

1. The sub is enclosed in a sunk compartment on one side of the vehicle, and has an odd, trapezium shaped grille with an ID logo. Is this a custom built enclosure, and did Driven cut out the grille themselves?

2. Has the amp been installed below the floor board?
Old 10th November 2011, 11:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

How much for the Dyns and amp if you don't mind sharing and has the install been completed yet ?
Old 10th November 2011, 11:43   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
This is a fantastic install. Driven has put up the install pics on their FB page, and I was thoroughly impressed by the attention to detail. Congrats!!!!
Can i get the link to the fb page of Driven,
Old 10th November 2011, 11:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygeetee View Post
Can i get the link to the fb page of Driven,
Can provide it if I have Gotzuk's permission. Or maybe he would prefer to disclose the photo's himself. In a slowwww, phased manner, keeping the suspense alive!
Old 10th November 2011, 12:11   #8
BHPian

Some install pics:

Subwoofer installed in the rear hatch area. A cubbly hole was present in the left side and it was removed and a sealed enclosure built in the cavity. The cubbly hole box's trim ring was used covered with speaker cloth.
Fozzie gets new ICE!-subinstall20.jpg
Fozzie gets new ICE!-subinstall21.jpg
Fozzie gets new ICE!-subinstall23.jpg
Fozzie gets new ICE!-subinstall28.jpg
Fozzie gets new ICE!-dscn0373.jpg
Fozzie gets new ICE!-dscn0376.jpg
Fozzie gets new ICE!-subinstall4.jpg
Fozzie gets new ICE!-dscn0383.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post

Just 2 questions:

1. The sub is enclosed in a sunk compartment on one side of the vehicle, and has an odd, trapezium shaped grille with an ID logo. Is this a custom built enclosure, and did Driven cut out the grille themselves?

2. Has the amp been installed below the floor board?
I hope the sub question gets asnwered with the pics above. The grille was made from the cubble hole's trim ring. Will be posting rest of the install pics soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
How much for the Dyns and amp if you don't mind sharing and has the install been completed yet ?
The Dyn's retail for 54990 and the AS100.4 (silver) for 43990 when I got them a month or so back.
Old 10th November 2011, 12:13   #9
BHPian

Wow!! Looks like an explosive setup!!
Hey gotzuk if you dont mind please share the cost also as I also contemplating some ICE upgrade for myself. It will be very helpful.

Also how your experience at Driven. I might pay them a visit some time soon..
Old 11th November 2011, 11:02   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
Subwoofer installed in the rear hatch area. A cubbly hole was present in the left side and it was removed and a sealed enclosure built in the cavity. The cubbly hole box's trim ring was used covered with speaker cloth.
So where did the second subwoofer go? I see 2 subwoofers in the earlier pics.
Old 11th November 2011, 11:34   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
So where did the second subwoofer go? I see 2 subwoofers in the earlier pics.
The original idea was to install two subs, one on each side but it was later decided to install one first and see how it sounds before pulling the trigger on the second one.
There were also space constraints on the right side which dissuaded us further. So, its either one sub concealed away or two in a sealed enclosure. Will be taking a call on that soon.

Now, updating on the rest of the install:

The oem front speakers in the forester are full range units with no tweeters even though the wiring is present.
The tweeter panel on the door is also a blanked out unit although the US/JDM version come with a tweeter panel.
Fozzie gets new ICE!-img_0641.jpg

Got a pair of tweeter panels off eBay complete with tweeters inside them.
Name:  IMAG0135.jpg
Views: 1292
Size:  22.7 KB
Fozzie gets new ICE!-imag0136.jpg

These were modified to accept the bigger Dynaudio tweets.
Fozzie gets new ICE!-_mg_9360a.jpg
Fozzie gets new ICE!-subinstall56.jpg
Fozzie gets new ICE!-subinstall1.jpg

The midbasses went on nicely with their custom mdf rings.
The doors/doorpads were damped with Stinger Roadkill (still incomplete as the front windows need some servicing)
Fozzie gets new ICE!-subinstall49.jpg
Fozzie gets new ICE!-subinstall52.jpg
Fozzie gets new ICE!-subinstall6.jpg

For the amp we took out the panel which housed the car's jack and modified it a bit to accommodate the amplifier.
The amplifier is mounted on the trunk floor itself over a sheet of Dynaliner which covers the whole trunk floor (installed earlier for road sound damping)
The panel is actually just a dummy cover for the amplifier.
Fozzie gets new ICE!-subinstall03.jpg
Fozzie gets new ICE!-subinstall04.jpg
Fozzie gets new ICE!-subinstall01.jpg
Fozzie gets new ICE!-subinstall09.jpg
Fozzie gets new ICE!-subinstall05.jpg

The crossovers are placed in another panel designed for storing umbrellas, etc.
Fozzie gets new ICE!-subinstall48.jpg
Fozzie gets new ICE!-subinstall06.jpg
Fozzie gets new ICE!-subinstall08.jpg

Rounding off the install pics with a couple of pics of the dash with the screen and PC/HU in place.
The hollow place to the left of the HU is where a cup holder used to live, now removed to accommodate the PC.
I am planning to use the cup holder cover to install USB and Aux in ports.
Fozzie gets new ICE!-img_0638a.jpg
Fozzie gets new ICE!-302970_301044133241926_164351833577824_1220040_1127553924_n.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Wow!! Looks like an explosive setup!!
Hey gotzuk if you dont mind please share the cost also as I also contemplating some ICE upgrade for myself. It will be very helpful.

Also how your experience at Driven. I might pay them a visit some time soon..
Rachit.K.Dogra, I already mentioned the prices earlier in the thread, let me know if you need price of any other component. My experience with Driven has been a great one so far. They have been very supportive. Recommended!

Cheers
Old 11th November 2011, 11:57   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The original idea was to install two subs, one on each side but it was later decided to install one first and see how it sounds before pulling the trigger on the second one.
There were also space constraints on the right side which dissuaded us further. So, its either one sub concealed away or two in a sealed enclosure. Will be taking a call on that soon.

The amplifier is mounted on the trunk floor itself over a sheet of Dynaliner which covers the whole trunk floor (installed earlier for road sound damping)
The panel is actually just a dummy cover for the amplifier.
Subs: The other option if you are using 2 subwoofers is to go isobarik. yes you loose 3db in sensitivity but you need only about 1/2 the box size. However I do like the stealth nature of your current install.

Does the amplifier have enough breathing room aka ventillation?
Old 11th November 2011, 12:39   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Subs: The other option if you are using 2 subwoofers is to go isobarik. yes you loose 3db in sensitivity but you need only about 1/2 the box size. However I do like the stealth nature of your current install.

Does the amplifier have enough breathing room aka ventillation?
Thanks Navin.
A couple of questions. What would be the benefit of using isobaric over a regular sealed enclosure apart from the space saving?
What would be the best enclosure type for tight controlled bass for these subs, space no constraint?

The amp does have some room on the sides for ventilation.
I haven't had any thermal cutoff so far and the amp seems to be running quite cool with the cooling fan coming on intermittently. I run the amp with the top cover

Cheers
Old 11th November 2011, 23:17   #14
BHPian

@gotzuk

Awsome setup and its super sleeper and stealth setup, specially liked the installation of sub factory integrated looks it gives.

And the car PC the way its installed by removing the components behind the stock HU and just an screen visible is a total stealth look.
One question though does the stock volume and cd eject controls on the stock hu operate the Carputer?
If so then how?
Old 12th November 2011, 13:09   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Navin.
A couple of questions. What would be the benefit of using isobaric over a regular sealed enclosure apart from the space saving?
What would be the best enclosure type for tight controlled bass for these subs, space no constraint?
Practically the space saving seems to be the biggest advantage. Some talk about cancellation of harmonics etc.. but to be honest I when it comes to sub 100Hz I dont see much advantage there. The human ear is just not THAT sensitive below 100Hz.

Most Viewed