Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2011, 09:03   #1
BHPian

Is a tablet compatible for Rear Cam feed + GPS

I want to use a low end tab something like ubislate 7 to configure

a) Rear reverse cam
b) GPS for Navigation / maps . Am looking for a cost effective solution for my requirements . will this tab be of any use . pls advice with suggestion .

Configuration | Aakash Tablet | UbiSlate Netbook | Datawind ubislate
Old 11th November 2011, 10:09   #2
BHPian

Re: Is a tablet compatible for Rear Cam feed + GPS

I was also looking around for some such solution, but I want an elegant solution.
As for the tablet in your link, it doesn't seem to have a GPS receiver, and so I don't think you will be able to use it for navigation.
Old 11th November 2011, 11:41   #3
BHPian

Can use a usb GPS dongle for conectivity , however am not technically aware on the interface .
Old 11th November 2011, 12:17   #4
BHPian

Answers In Bold .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
I want to use a low end tab something like ubislate 7 to configure

a) Rear reverse cam - No (It does not take video input)
b) GPS for Navigation / maps . Am looking for a cost effective solution for my requirements . will this tab be of any use . pls advice with suggestion .
- Does Not Support GPS.Although tablets north of 10k support it.

Configuration | Aakash Tablet | UbiSlate Netbook | Datawind ubislate
You can use this for watching movies.VFM.
Old 11th April 2012, 17:43   #5
BHPian

I have a similar question.

Can I use a IPad 1/2 or any other tablet for configure it as a GPS device. My primary requirement is a navigation device which can work without internet a la Tom Tom/ MMI.
Secondary requirement would be, movies, reverse cam and as a music player (however I doubt the quality of output).

Can't a tablet subsitute a carputer?
Old 12th April 2012, 11:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
... Can't a tablet subsitute a carputer?
Rhetorical question which can only have an ambiguous "Yes and No" answer.

1. Navigation with Stored Maps, yes. Such navigation software is available for both iOS and Android

2. Music player, yes - but, as you pointed out, the output quality is questionable with some of the tablets. iPad gives iPod quality, but most other tablets give rather pedestrian output

3. Movies - some can, some can't. Display quality in daylight is always suspect, and one can rule out the ones with 7" display (unless handheld by viewer). It also depends on processor, RAM and display chip - cheaper the worse

4. Reverse cam, no - none of the tablets accept external video input. With a carputer, it is almost standard because of the LCD monitor which has a (auto)switchable video input

5. Vehicle diagnostics - some can, some can't. There is a free app on Android which can interface to Bluetooth based OBD2 dongles like ELM327. Not seen any for iOS

6. Internet connectivity, yes - via 3G. Limited use though - I have used the 'net to listen to Internet Radio, as well as occasionally do emails and Skype calls (parked by the roadside). Both with my carputer and my iPad2

7. FM radio, no - a carputer can manage to do with a USB device

8. Sound processor, no - can be done on a carputer with add-ons to the music player

Any other applications that come to your mind for comparing?
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 12:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

2. Music player, yes - but, as you pointed out, the output quality is questionable with some of the tablets. iPad gives iPod quality, but most other tablets give rather pedestrian output

Any other applications that come to your mind for comparing?
Thanks for the detailed reply. You have covered more points than my requirement.

My primary requirement is for Navigation with stored maps. I feel money can be well spent on a nice looking Ipad2 or a Samsung Tab than a small MMI device. If the tablet does a little more than the MMI device, I think it would justify the expenditure for me.

Can the output of a tablet be routed via the amp? If yes, that would suffice my music needs. If the tab is ineffective as a music player then my current HU should take care of music needs.

Can't internet be routed through phone to a tablet? Or is it necessary to take up a dedicated connection for the tablet.

Reverse cam would have been a nice advantage but I can live without it. Vehicle diagnostics is not a need, hence can do without it too.
Old 15th August 2012, 05:37   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Can the output of a tablet be routed via the amp? If yes, that would suffice my music needs. If the tab is ineffective as a music player then my current HU should take care of music needs.
Yes. What i am currently doing is using RCA splitters to turn 2-ch output to 4 channel which serves as input to amp.

Since my Galaxy tab supports 4 channel out using the HDMI, looking for a more elegant solution.

Quote:
Can't internet be routed through phone to a tablet? Or is it necessary to take up a dedicated connection for the tablet.
yes. i earlier had a dedicated pre-paid SIM card for the tablet (the free ones given out at Big Bazaar). However now i have switched to using my phone's internet. Configure the Phone to enable "Wifi Hotspot" and connect your tab to the phone.

Works well in most cases. But apps like Google Earth are painfully slow. But works.

For navigation using MMI so not too much of an issue really.

Quote:
Reverse cam would have been a nice advantage but I can live without it.
I am not sure there is a practical way yet to do this.

Quote:
Vehicle diagnostics is not a need, hence can do without it too.
OBD diagnostics works like a charm. Use a Bluetooth based EML327 adapter and an app like Torque. Works superbly, and speaking for myself, terribly addictive too!

Specifically on the MPFI gypsy, values for many parameters show up as "N/A", however works just fine on Santro etc.

Last edited by COUGAR : 15th August 2012 at 05:41.
Old 15th August 2012, 10:07   #9
BHPian

Use an entry level android tablet (7") only for the following:
1. Navigation (Sygic is one of the better ones)
2. Torque PRO for OBD-II streaming (with ELM 327 bluetooth dongle)

A entry level 800 X 480 does not feel premium and has poor visibility (Mine is Micromax funbook) in bright conditions, but should be good for running #1 and #2. Buy a galaxy tab (or similar) because its resolution, brightness and contrast is superb (and you can use at home too - dont make it a full timer in your car). However, it still does not qualify to be a carputer as you miss on lots of functionalities. You can invest in a good gooseneck mount in your car, where you can mount your tablet gracefully.

Do not buy a SIM enabled tablet to take calls. The more elegant approach will be to buy a FM modulator with bluetooth support and a steering remote.

If you have a android phone, make it a hotspot and use wi-fi on your tablet. There's no point in having a SIM enabled tablet as a full time carputer, as the only use you can make of it will be streaming maps data. (Which you will not need if you have offline maps like sygic).
Old 15th August 2012, 18:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
... Do not buy a SIM enabled tablet to take calls. The more elegant approach will be to buy a FM modulator with bluetooth support and a steering remote. ...
Errr... How does the FM modulator relate to presence or absence of SIM?
Old 15th August 2012, 18:53   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Errr... How does the FM modulator relate to presence or absence of SIM?
1.0" LCD Bluetooth Car MP3 Player FM Transmitter with SD/USB/3.5mm Jack & Remote Controller - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX

The above gadget plugins into 12v car outlet, pairs with bluetooth, has steering remote to pickup calls. So you do not have to invest in a SIM enabled android tablet for the sake of taking calls. The above gadget is way cheaper.
Old 16th August 2012, 10:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
... So you do not have to invest in a SIM enabled android tablet for the sake of taking calls. The above gadget is way cheaper.
Ah, well. One doesn't get a SIM for taking calls from a tablet (most tablets don't have the Phone section at all; the sub-15K ones definitely don't) - it is for accessing Internet. When we buy a tablet, we still continue with our cellphones for calling.

What one can do is buy a tablet which doesn't have the 3G data section, just the WiFi section. Most Android, iOS and Symbian smartphones permit one to share the phone's 'net connection - over the WiFi hotspot that the phone provides.

For using handsfree, there are dedicated Bluetooth-based hands-free solutions from Nokia, Parrot etc. (contains a microphone), but these require at least an HU to amplify the sound of the call. However, the most elegant solution is actually a BT-enabled HU.

The unit you have indicated will *also* require an HU, tuned to the frequency set at the unit to receive the sound from it over FM. A steering mounted remote is good, but not essential - one can configure the hands-free unit / HU to automatically pick up the call after 3 rings. This gives one enough time to drop the call if one doesn't want to take that call. The FM transmitter is a not a good solution - the sound is worse than FM radio. The preferred method is to connect the sound output of the tablet directly to the Aux-in of the HU.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks