Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2012, 12:46   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jabra FREEWAY Car Kit (In-car BT speakerphone) : User Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts to solve my dilemma??
go for Freeway Drive, it costs 3600 and is a perfect handsfree care device as quoted in my post above.
Old 30th January 2012, 12:52   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
go for Freeway Drive, it costs 3600 and is a perfect handsfree care device as quoted in my post above.
thanks Ruchir, one thing worries me about these car bluetooth speakers. Will they be able to handle Delhi heat? My office parking is uncovered and in peak summers the temp inside the car probably hits 53-55c degrees.

It will be a little pointless if I need to keep taking the gadget out of the car to protect it. And in that case I'd rather go for a earpiece that will always be on my person.
Old 30th January 2012, 13:09   #63
Senior - BHPian

I do not think temperature soaring will be an issue, since it is inside your car and its ergonomics is as good as any fine plastic product, so there would not be any issue and secondly comparing it with earpiece is not wise since they are two different things for two different purposes,
Bluetooth earpiece will act as your personalized call/ answering device but not that clear, Jabra is more of in car bluetooth device wherein others too will listen to conversation but the voice is crystal clear.
Old 30th January 2012, 13:14   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...these car bluetooth speakers. Will they be able to handle Delhi heat?
You're probably right about not wanting to leave the speakerphone inside the car parked in the open, on a summer afternoon in Delhi. In-cabin temperatures rise to 60+ degrees C, and I wouldn't be sure about the device withstanding such heat on a daily basis. However, I do tend to take the device off from the sunshade and leave it in the glove box when I leave the car in a not-so-secure parking area (just to prevent temptations for someone looking to break in and pinch something from parked cars), and I guess I'll do the same on a regular basis through the summer, just so the Freeway doesn't get a sunstroke!

As to your query about choosing between an earpiece and an in-car speakerphone, my choice was based on the degree of discomfort I suffered when wearing a BT earpiece all the time. If I took it off, trying to find it and put it on when a call came (while driving) was a huge distraction.
Old 30th January 2012, 13:17   #65
BHPian

Quote:
.. one thing worries me about these car bluetooth speakers. Will they be able to handle Delhi heat? My office parking is uncovered and in peak summers the temp inside the car probably hits 53-55c degrees...
I agree by what you mean. I've had few plastic things melted kept on dasboard in my car parked throughout day in open in May/June Delhi. Lets see what happens to Jabra this summer.
Old 30th January 2012, 13:43   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
they are two different things for two different purposes, Bluetooth earpiece will act as your personalized call/ answering device but not that clear, Jabra is more of in car bluetooth device wherein others too will listen to conversation but the voice is crystal clear.
True but my use is more for just making calls while driving alone. I don't really need a speaker that can be heard throughout the car. Loud volume? yes, and that is true for both devices. The car kit maybe better at that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
You're probably right about not wanting to leave the speakerphone inside the car parked in the open, on a summer afternoon in Delhi. In-cabin temperatures rise to 60+ degrees C, and I wouldn't be sure about the device withstanding such heat on a daily basis. However, I do tend to take the device off from the sunshade and leave it in the glove box when I leave the car in a not-so-secure parking area (just to prevent temptations for someone looking to break in and pinch something from parked cars), and I guess I'll do the same on a regular basis through the summer, just so the Freeway doesn't get a sunstroke!

As to your query about choosing between an earpiece and an in-car speakerphone, my choice was based on the degree of discomfort I suffered when wearing a BT earpiece all the time. If I took it off, trying to find it and put it on when a call came (while driving) was a huge distraction.
Yup SS, the heat is a concern. The Jabra units top out at 45 degrees max operating temp. The Plantronics goes to 50 degrees. I actually read about this in an Amazon review where a buyer was wondering about the same thing.

As for the earpieces. The good ones are really comfortable - the Voyager is one of the best, albeit a little nerdy. Plus, with my crappy Jabra, I wear it before getting into the car. I just want something that works better - noise cancellation and loud volume.

And I have to buy this from Flipkart because they have some leftover balance with them.
Old 4th February 2012, 14:29   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
....The unit doesn't understand the voice command easily and you have to use neutral accent .

So my first impression is , if anyone is looking to buy it because of the voice commands option,then it might not be right device for you .
I will completely agree with this after using it for 3 days now. Voice commands are completely useless for indian accents especially the "Answer" command. The "Ignore" command has no problems with any accent.

Voice dialing is fraught with high inaccuracies, it even called one of my contact in Dubai instead of "Home"

Except for voice commands, the unit performance is excellent.
Old 9th February 2012, 18:08   #68
Senior - BHPian

Folks, after much thought and deliberation I decided against a car bluetooth gadget and bought a high quality headset instead:

http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-Vo...8790473&sr=8-1

And I'm quite happy with my decision. It is loud and I can hear people clearly. Noise-canceling really works - people on the other side of the line can't tell if my car windows are rolled up or open. The sensor tech (knows when its on you ear or not) is cool and nice to have. For the first time the voice-dialing feature on my Bold 9900 actually works with a high degree of accuracy. All in all for in-car use it works really well.

The only drawbacks are that it looks nerdy and it can get a little loud and jarring.
Old 9th February 2012, 22:34   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala View Post
Voice commands are completely useless for indian accents especially the "Answer" command. The "Ignore" command has no problems with any accent.
Actually mine works fine for 'Answer', 'Ignore', 'Redial', 'Call back' and 'Battery' commands - which is pretty much all I need while driving. I don't try to call a fresh number by voice dialing from the phone book while driving. The trick in getting the unit to recognize the commands is to have the windows rolled up (which is always the case with me anyway), and turn the ICE volume right down before speaking the command.
Quote:
You mean the Jabra Drive, as opposed to the Jabra Freeway, don't you?

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 9th February 2012 at 22:37.
Old 10th February 2012, 08:52   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
You mean the Jabra Drive, as opposed to the Jabra Freeway, don't you?
Yes, what I meant is that the Jabra Drive has more voice clarity, even I own a Freeway but I too like Drive because of voice clarity, VFM factor and size which is very much pocket-able
Old 14th February 2012, 08:35   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, after much thought and deliberation I decided against a car bluetooth gadget and bought a high quality headset instead...

...The only drawbacks are that it looks nerdy and it can get a little loud and jarring.
AFAIK, using a Bluetooth headset (of even a speakerphone) is illegal in India. In BLR when cops are trying hard to meet their month-end targets, i have seen cops target people talking on BT headsets. Anyone driving with a BT headset is flagged (though you may not be using it at that moment). Tracking BT Speakerphones on the other hand is not so simple.

source - Mumbai Traffic Police
read the section - FAQ REGARDING USE OF MOBILE PHONE WHILE DRIVING

Quote:
Q) Can I keep my mobile phone switch on while driving?
If you are alone in the car, you shall switch off your mobile phone while driving any motor vehicle.(Section 250 (A)(2) of M.M.V.R.1989)
Q) Can I use hands-free or any other accessories of mobile phone while driving?
No. (As per rule mentioned above.)
Q) After receiving call or sms on mobile phone, Can I park my vehicle and use mobile phone?
No. As per rule mentioned above, mobile phone should be in switched off mode while driving.
Old 14th February 2012, 13:43   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
AFAIK, using a Bluetooth headset (of even a speakerphone) is illegal in India. In BLR when cops are trying hard to meet their month-end targets, i have seen cops target people talking on BT headsets. Anyone driving with a BT headset is flagged (though you may not be using it at that moment). Tracking BT Speakerphones on the other hand is not so simple.

source - Mumbai Traffic Police
read the section - FAQ REGARDING USE OF MOBILE PHONE WHILE DRIVING
I've never seen or heard that in Delhi/NCR. According to the FAQ you posted even keeping your phone switched on is illegal .

Anyways, as far I'm concerned, all the better that I bought the on-ear handsfree because I don't just use it in the car - it is my default device for talking on my phone as the sound quality is so good, both for me and the person on the other end of the line.
Old 12th March 2012, 19:02   #73
BHPian

Quick information: I see the Jabra Freeway on amazon.com goldbox deal for about 75$ and is available for shipping to India too. The landing cost including import duty and shipping is 104$. Sounds like a good deal!
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 11:24   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Quick information: I see the Jabra Freeway on amazon.com goldbox deal for about 75$...
Deal says it's going to be over in an hour from now.
Old 20th March 2012, 13:33   #75
BHPian

hey,

I own a jabra drive which I bought from ebay for 3500 about 2 months ago.
The device qulaity is good and very easy to operate,but.....
I really dont like the voice quality, now I am not sure whether I got a bad piece or its a device problem. Sometime its really difficult to comprehend what the other person is saying and lots of time you get an echo of what you are saying (it has built echo cancellation ). A few reviews on Amazon also had the same issues btw.

On battery life its amazing.. i have only charged it once in 2 months and at an avg. i talk about 6 hrs in a week.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks