Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2006, 10:39   #1
BHPian

The best Subwoofer Enclosure design

Hi folks,
We have seen people spending lot of money and time in setting up the most hitech Sound systems in their car. But when it comes to Speaker enclosures ( The wooden boxes), do you think that we pay enough attension to it? Most of the people will only check the thickness of the wood and the total internal volume of it.

Shape of enclosure wont be a big issue for normal speakers(Coaxials) since it is designed to work without an enclosure. But in case of a Subwoofer, the dimension of the enclosure and porting in it make a lot of difference in its output. You may have noticed that the same set of HU, Amp and Subwoofer may sound totally different in two different cars. So acoustics of the car also affect the performance of the sound output of a subwoofer in that case???

Well, this thread is all about how to build a custom made Subwoofer enclosure, considering all he facts which may affect the sound output (lets forget about the boot space for the time being). What you guys say? I think most of the BHPians here will be having a word on it. Please share your experience in this matter so that every BHPians can avoid the hauling sound from their subwoofer and rock the road with heavy punches!!!!
HotChillyPepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2006, 10:46   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Well maybe this thread can be of some help to u ,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...subwoofer.html
Old 16th March 2006, 12:10   #3
BHPian

If you get the box right it is half the battle won. Porting is a very big issue. But sealed boxes are very forgiving to design flaws. And the b*** can be pretty good too.

Low frequencies are not directional, so it may not matter that much.
Old 16th March 2006, 13:15   #4
Team-BHP Support

sealed boxes are also very forgiving of T/S errors. given that T/S parameters can be off by more than 10% i think sealed and aperiodic boxes should be tried before ported/TL/Horn etc...

HCP if you do a search there is a post in the archives regarding boxes.
Old 16th March 2006, 15:29   #5
BHPian

i think when we buy any subwoofer, we also get some sort of advice of recommended box, whether sealed or ported. We just can't make any subwoofer box without any parameters/guidelines.

e.g. i bought my subwoofer from Crutchfield. These guys do give advice about dimensions/volume of box whether sealed or ported. They also recommend different boxes for different types of cars like sedan/hatchback.

I got my box built by local guy using Crutchfield advice.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd October 2016 at 08:00. Reason: Abbreviations, typos
Old 16th March 2006, 15:33   #6
Team-BHP Support

well said doc. this is the best non techical description i've heard. i was wondering how to word an answer without including the words Qts and Vas! :-)
Old 16th March 2006, 16:00   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
well said doc. this is the best non techical description i've heard. i was wondering how to word an answer without including the words Qts and Vas! :-)

thanx navin........afterall who is our Guru? No guessing!!!
Old 16th March 2006, 22:52   #8
Team-BHP Support

Sam, B&T, JB or Gunbir would be my choices.
Old 16th March 2006, 23:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Crutchfield does not stock ImageDyna / JBL subs. Of course can get the best of info regarding both these from the concerned men right here on the forum

BTW, does the JBLGTO1000 or 1200 come mounted in a box ?
Old 16th March 2006, 23:14   #10
Team-BHP Support

JBL gives you a 10" and 12" sub in a box, tube or bare. choose your poison.
Old 18th March 2006, 07:50   #11
BHPian

Guys,
Last year I had designed an enclosure for my brother's indica after learning all those stupid equations and blogs . It contains a 12" eXplode on Xplod 504 amp. But amazingly the sound was really great. As soon as i reach India I will post the diagrams and cross-sections of that. Lot of people asked me for it after hearing the sound. May be you guys can have a look. It cost me only 1000 bucks to build it.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd October 2016 at 08:02. Reason: Typo
Old 18th March 2006, 09:54   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah
Crutchfield does not stock ImageDyna / JBL subs. Of course can get the best of info regarding both these from the concerned men right here on the forum
yeah.....for ID & JBL u have help here but still u can use crutchfield.They do mention box's volume along with its dimensions.So if u know the volume of subw box,u can go to crutchfield and look for subw box with same volume and use its dimensions to build box.

My box cost me 750 [though initially he asked for 450 only]plus 1000 for terminal plug and banana plug from audison.
Old 20th March 2006, 13:30   #13
BHPian

Capacitor for Amps

By the way can anyone tell me which capacitor I sould go for a 504 amp? How do you guys calculate the capacitance ? Which brand is the best for performance?
Old 20th March 2006, 14:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Sam, B&T, JB or Gunbir would be my choices.
And should we call you Mr. Modest
Old 20th March 2006, 14:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper
By the way can anyone tell me which capacitor I sould go for a 504 amp? How do you guys calculate the capacitance ? Which brand is the best for performance?
Don't bother. A good cap will cost more than that amp. And if you do have the extra money, consider the following options.

1. Buy a better amp.
2. Buy a better amp and a cap to go with it.
3. Donate money to me via pay-pal.

I think the third option is the best. It's already music to my ears.

Anyway, the thumb rule for capacitance is approximately 1F per 1000w rms of amplifier power. So you're in like the 0.2 Farad league.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks