Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2006, 13:06   #1
BHPian

Audio upgrade for Palio GTX

Hi
This is my first post in Team bhp's revered ICE section.
I have been wanting to do this for a long time.. here goes..

My existing setup..
Blaupunkt Daytona Beach C51 cassette player 4X50w Dolby NR
Front Speakers - Blaupunkt XL210 4" Component System 80w PMPO/30w rms
Rear Speakers - Blaupunkt 6x9" ovals TX369.1 Triaxial 150w PMPO/50w RMS
Near the front right speakers, a crossover is mounted, again "Blaupunkt 2 way passive 12db" with outs for Amp, woofer, tweeter.
I have a lead wire in the dash where I plug in my CDman or Ipod..

What I'm planning to do..
I'm looking at going for a good Single CD MP3 player or a 6cd changer mounted under the front seat.
Steering wheel mounted remote to control the Player and changer.
Bigger components at the front may be 6" or bigger. What's the biggest the original door mountings can take?
A pair of tweeters in the front mirror prod.
What's the function of the crossover, do I need it?
Do I need an amp to power my speakers?? or can I get away with the head units amplification? Will I be doing justice to my speakers?
Right now I'm satisfied with the bass produced by the ovals so no Sub as of now but may add it in future...

Experts need your advice, budget 10-15k

Solly
Old 17th March 2006, 14:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by solly
Hi
What I'm planning to do..
I'm looking at going for a good Single CD MP3 player or a 6cd changer mounted under the front seat.
Steering wheel mounted remote to control the Player and changer.
Bigger components at the front may be 6" or bigger. What's the biggest the original door mountings can take?
A pair of tweeters in the front mirror prod.
What's the function of the crossover, do I need it?
Do I need an amp to power my speakers?? or can I get away with the head units amplification? Will I be doing justice to my speakers?
Right now I'm satisfied with the bass produced by the ovals so no Sub as of now but may add it in future...

Experts need your advice, budget 10-15k

Solly
Get

1. Pioneer MP3 player 3850 (approx 5-6k) since you dont intend to have a sub.

2. You didnt mention which car, dude. So I dont know what largest speaker you can accomodate there.

3. Assuming you can fit a 6", get the JBL comp, Sam should help with prices. Audiobahn also has a 6" comp without outboard crossovers for 5k.

4. You need to use the crossovers if they came with the speakers or your midrange and tweeter wont get the correct band of frequencies they best operate in. If there weren't any crossovers it means that the filters are probably incorporated into the midrange/ tweeter.

5. If you're happy with the 6x9, stay with it. I dont see a vastly better replacement for that model around that price range.

6. An amp's always useful. I like the JBL 4-ch. Or maybe you can convince JK to organize a few more PA275s :P
Old 17th March 2006, 15:53   #3
BHPian

Hi

Thanks for the reply. The car in question is a Palio 1.6 GTX. I might go in for a sub later on so my Head unit upgrade will be keeping this in mind.

Sam whats the cost of JBL components and Amp? Can you give me the contact of a good hyderabad based installer?

Thanks,
Solly
Old 17th March 2006, 16:06   #4
Team-BHP Support

1. solly did mention his car. check his subject.
2. the 6" wont fit in the palio front unless he modifies the door
3. The cheapest reliable 4 ch. amp is the Sony 504 (Rs. 5K) which i find a bit grainy so I would recommend getting something better like the Pio 6100 or JBL 60.4 which sell for about 3K more.

I am not sure if Blau or Pio have a 6 CD changer - I know Alpine does but that is another budget. You might ahve to settle for a trunk mounted 12CD changer instead.
Old 17th March 2006, 16:36   #5
BHPian

Navin thanks for the reply.

I checked the speaker mounting on the Palio front door, looked like it could take 6". I might be wrong. How much will a 12cd changer cost me? What about the steering mounted remote?

Currently I have a problem with my unit, when my car hits a rough patch the volume goes very low and also the head unit starts restarting?? Some loose connection near the face plate. Any suggestions for this?

Solly
Old 17th March 2006, 16:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

solly....Palio front door can accomodate only a 5" speaker. Atleast thats what the fitter told me when installing the setup my car. I had to replace my 6" for 5"....
Old 17th March 2006, 16:51   #7
Team-BHP Support

maybe a 6" can fit by using a spacer ring.
Old 17th March 2006, 16:52   #8
BHPian

Ok thanks Satish. In that case do I go for 5" components or retain the current 4" components.

Navin I was checking out the prices for the amp in circuit city, do I need to buy a Tsunami Amplifier Power Kit (AMP350AGU -45$) and RCA Cable (RCA6.9-17 -40$) along with the amp??
Old 17th March 2006, 16:55   #9
BHPian

Let me do some measurments and come back on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
maybe a 6" can fit by using a spacer ring.
What about crossover, my front speakers have cross over, how about the rear?? How does this work in conjucture with the amp?
Old 17th March 2006, 17:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, I noticed everything in the message except the subject..duh! Apologies.

The only issue with getting a 6" in the door in a Palio is the plastic grill cum door pocket kinda thingy that comes with the door. I threw it away in mine, and got a 6" in there with a spacer. Matter of fact, i know several people who have 8" comps in the doors using the same 'technology'.

The Tsunami stuff is expensive considering the scale of your system's budget, look for something cheaper.

Keep the crossovers if they come with whatever speakers you buy. And dont fret over how they'll fit into the scheme of things, your installer should be able to figure that out
Old 5th June 2006, 15:55   #11
BHPian

Gurus!!

Finally went for the level one upgrade, I dumped the Blaupunkt Cassette player for a pioneer 6850 single CD player with a steering wheel mounted remote. The System sounds good but I'm not happy with my front 4" components. The rear Blaupunkt ovals sound decent. The sound staging is predominantly towards the rear, I did fiddle around with the fader controls but not happy. I'm planning to replace the front components with 5.25" components. Which brand components will sound better? I'm more of a Bass guy than metal. I'm looking at the clarity of the sound rather than loudness especially in conjecture with the rear ovals and head unit. What would be the approximate cost of the speakers and what can I expect for my old speakers.

Thanks,
Solly
Old 5th June 2006, 16:34   #12
Team-BHP Support

deepnding on budget try JBL, Blaupunkt, or Alpine Type S. All these 3 offer cheaper and more expensive lines of speakers. In Alpine's case the more expensive lines might be outside your budget.
Old 5th June 2006, 17:05   #13
BHPian

Ok im looking at Blaupunkt VPc132 ([COLOR=#0000ff]<http://www.blaupunkt.co.in/7606274003_main.asp>[/COLOR]) or JBL GTO 506Ce (http://www.jbl.com/car/products/prod...at=GTO&ser=GTO). How do they compare and which would be better considering my existing setup? Will they really improve sound quality compared to my existing 4" components? How much will they cost? And what exchange price will I get for my current components?
Old 5th June 2006, 17:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Solly, where did you buy the HU. Did you get the replacement offer?
Old 5th June 2006, 18:30   #15
BHPian

No Satish the guy you recommended didn't give me a replacement offer, I got the system installed from an accessory shop in Ameerpet, forgot the name It's the one opposite to the ICICI atm near green park! Got only Rs.1000 as exchange for my cassette player.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks