Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2012, 00:32   #1
PhX
BHPian

Which ICE for 2012 Honda City Corporate Edition (Budget: 40k)?

Hi,

I tried looking for a thread specifically for ICE in Honda City, but there were 2-3, of which the budgets were either too high for me, or the jargon was too difficult to understand.

Going by the format in the sticky/parked thread:

1. Your Car: 2012 Honda City Corporate Edition

2. Your current setup (If any): Nothing. I think it just comes with the wiring, I guess

3. Your Budget: 40k for everything

4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? Me. No chauffeur.

5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): Rock, Modern Rock, Alternative, Pop, Instrumental, etc. I like having high fidelity. I like bass, but I want clear bass rather than thumping hip-hop kind of bass. My favourite bands are Tool, Incubus, Iron Maiden, Wolfmother, Metallica, etc., but I also listen to stuff like Radiohead, Robbie Williams, Eminem, etc., so very varied taste in music.

Additional Information:

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : As long as it doesn't affect warranty

More additional information:

I'll be taking the car through a company loan, so I would prefer to have everything installed by the dealer, as it would be part of the final invoice which I would raise the loan amount against. I need to finalise by Thursday. I know it's rushed timelines.

Even more additional information:

Though I would love to call myself an audiophile, I'm not. I like to be able to hear all instruments, though. I like a good bass, but I don't want it to be annoyingly loud and cut out the other instruments.

I am not sure if a woofer/sub would be required, or even whether it would fit within my budget.

The dealer's accessories' guy is going to send me a list of options tomorrow to select from, but I would like to take your inputs because I trust your judgement more than his, obviously.

Thanks!

Last edited by GTO : 18th January 2012 at 15:05. Reason: Do NOT use acronyms when referring to cars
PhX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 01:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which ICE for 2012 ANHC Corporate Edition (Budget: 40k)?

Going by the kind of music that you listen to, i don't recommend a sub.

Sub-woofers coupled with amplifiers are good if you're into house, trance or hip-hop. After all, it's just a series of beats on loop, and a tune. Amplifying the beat makes it sound cooler.

But when you listen to a band like Tool, you'd rather listen to the lovely percussion instruments, the heavy guitar-riff and the drums. Subs muffle the intricate sounds of most instruments, IMO. And this is based on personal experience. All you get is the 'thump' in a sub. You'd rarely hear the lovely tom-toms, the snare and the floor-tom.

Get yourself a set of 4 JBL speakers and 2 tweeters. A nice HU, a touchscreen one perhaps, would improve the experience for you. You could look for Pioneer HUs. They should do the job pretty well.

If you're keen on a sub, do make sure you get an amp to compliment it.

All the best with your new ride!

EDIT: Since you're getting it done at the dealership, I don't think you should be too worried about the warranty being void. You should be fine! But since you're going through the dealer, your options may not be much. And the company-dealer is going to charge you a bit more than a regular accessory store would.

The speakers should set you back by 10k, and the HU could be anywhere from 15k-50k. Get something mid-range.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th January 2012 at 01:33.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 01:33   #3
PhX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Going by the kind of music that you listen to, i don't recommend a sub.

Sub-woofers coupled with amplifiers are good if you're into house, trance or hip-hop. After all, it's just a series of beats on loop, and a tune. Amplifying the beat makes it sound cooler.

But when you listen to a band like Tool, you'd rather listen to the lovely percussion instruments, the heavy guitar-riff and the drums. Subs muffle the intricate sounds of most instruments, IMO. And this is based on personal experience.
You've hit the nail on the head! I'm glad my rambling paragraph in the original post was understood by someone

Quote:
Get yourself a set of 4 JBL speakers and 2 tweeters. A nice HU, a touchscreen one perhaps, would improve the experience for you. You could look for Pioneer HUs. They should do the job pretty well.
I'll keep an eye out for touch-screen, but not necessarily keen on it. And 2 tweeters...should be in front, right?

Quote:
If you're keen on a sub, do make sure you get an amp to compliment it.
As you suggested, not extra keen on it unless it makes a lot of sense.

Quote:
All the best with your new ride!
Thanks, will post pictures and a long thread on new experience once I get the car in hand.

Quote:
EDIT: Since you're getting it done at the dealership, I don't think you should be too worried about the warranty being void. You should be fine! But since you're going through the dealer, your options may not be much. And the company-dealer is going to charge you a bit more than a regular accessory store might.
I am ok to pay a bit more to ensure warranty does not get touched. I am thinking that since company-dealer will charge more, I ought to not buy sub right now. Will wait on it and see if I need one later. Can then upgrade to a sub later (with amp) if required.

Btw, what are your thoughts on Bluetooth? And do you prefer front USB or back?
Old 18th January 2012, 01:43   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhX View Post
You've hit the nail on the head! I'm glad my rambling paragraph in the original post was understood by someone

Glad to be of help!

Quote:
I'll keep an eye out for touch-screen, but not necessarily keen on it. And 2 tweeters...should be in front, right?
Honestly, a touchscreen HU is just a fad. A regular HU would do the job quite well too. A good double-din HU would be anywhere from 15k-30k.

Quote:
I am ok to pay a bit more to ensure warranty does not get touched. I am thinking that since company-dealer will charge more, I ought to not buy sub right now. Will wait on it and see if I need one later. Can then upgrade to a sub later (with amp) if required.
That sounds like a good plan. However, if you're going to install a sub/amp later, wouldn't that be infringement of company-policy?

Quote:
Btw, what are your thoughts on Bluetooth? And do you prefer front USB or back?
Bluetooth is good for seamlessly transmitting music. You could answer calls on the go as well, which would make life easier (although, I highly DO NOT recommend this practice) USB sticks can hold a lot of music, and the advantage is you can shuffle your music easily. But, the quality just isn't as good as a proper CD. I will always be an advocate for CDs. Especially Audio-CDs. The moment a file is compressed, it would lose its flair, IMO.

The difference may not be that much to the untrained ear, and in such cases, it wouldn't matter what application you'd use.
Old 18th January 2012, 12:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But, the quality just isn't as good as a proper CD. I will always be an advocate for CDs. Especially Audio-CDs. The moment a file is compressed, it would lose its flair, IMO.
CD's any day is the best option to listen to good music.
One quick question, how do you rate the sound quality when we connect IPODs to the HU to play music compared to the CD or any other stuff.
The reason why i ask this is because my present HU is not IPOD ready, so was thinking about changing the HU to a IPOD ready HU .

Cheers.

Last edited by Schoudhury : 18th January 2012 at 12:30.
Old 18th January 2012, 13:15   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
CD's any day is the best option to listen to good music.
One quick question, how do you rate the sound quality when we connect IPODs to the HU to play music compared to the CD or any other stuff.
The reason why i ask this is because my present HU is not IPOD ready, so was thinking about changing the HU to a IPOD ready HU .

Cheers.
The quality of music in Apple products are top-notch. They deliver music wonderfully. However, a lot depends on the file that you play from your iPod. If it's a heavily compressed file, it's not going to be very good. FLAC files, although compressed, don't compromise on quality. I'm not sure if FLAC files can be played on iTunes. I think you can.

A mp3 CD and iPod should deliver similar quality of music. Like I said, it depends on the file you play. But an audio-CD will be superior in terms of quality. From personal experience, CD is better than even the aux-in cable that has become very popular over the years.

What HU does your Ritz have? If it is not iPod ready, why don't you get a HU which is? You could improvise and retro-fit the iPod adater, but I'm not sure how it is done.

You could get some nice HUs that are iPod ready for under 10k. They would most probably be single-din units, but I don't see how a double-din is 'better' than a single-din anyway.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th January 2012 at 13:17.
Old 18th January 2012, 13:30   #7
PhX
BHPian

Suhaas,

Are there any specific models and brands that you recommend for Honda City? Ideally, I would like the speakers to fit into doors neatly in the space where the OEM speakers would have fit.

And any HUs that come to your mind which are good/proven?

EDIT:
PS: I know that uncompressed audio is much better than compressed in most cases. But my entire mp3 collection has a bit-rate of at least 192 (CBR) or ~256 (VBR). I even have some FLAC, but I don't think any HUs right now play FLAC files.

Last edited by GTO : 18th January 2012 at 15:06. Reason: Do NOT use acronyms when referring to cars
Old 18th January 2012, 13:46   #8
BHPian

Since you are not too keen on a touchscreen HU you can get a decent double din HU around 8k/10k/12k .eg.JVC XR-416/616/816
or if going for single din,you can look at kenwood 7016 for 13k.Great SQ
A decent set of component speakers (6.5") for the front doors.7k
One pair coaxial speakers for the rear doors.3-4k
Total 22k
You can add a 4 Channel amp for around 7k.It would improve the listening experience.
Wiring For Amp 2.5k
Total 9.5k +22k = 31.5k

I guess JBL would be available at the dealership,so you can choose the speakers and amp from JBL. Stay away from Sony.
Prices mentioned are approx expected prices at the dealership.Open Market would be around 15-20% cheaper.

Last edited by k2max6 : 18th January 2012 at 13:48.
k2max6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 13:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The quality of music in Apple products are top-notch. They deliver music wonderfully. However, a lot depends on the file that you play from your iPod. If it's a heavily compressed file, it's not going to be very good. FLAC files, although compressed, don't compromise on quality. I'm not sure if FLAC files can be played on iTunes. I think you can.

A mp3 CD and iPod should deliver similar quality of music. Like I said, it depends on the file you play. But an audio-CD will be superior in terms of quality. From personal experience, CD is better than even the aux-in cable that has become very popular over the years.

What HU does your Ritz have? If it is not iPod ready, why don't you get a HU which is? You could improvise and retro-fit the iPod adater, but I'm not sure how it is done.

You could get some nice HUs that are iPod ready for under 10k. They would most probably be single-din units, but I don't see how a double-din is 'better' than a single-din anyway.
Ya , true the file type also plays a big role in the quality.
Now i have Kenwood U346 with component JBL in front and coaxial JBL speaker at the back, its a very basic setup.
Not sure if we can fit a ipod adapter to it. Ya planning to change the HU and also get a 4 channel amp, also might get some better quality coaxial for the rear.

Will visit Satya sometime next week and check with him to see what he suggests and also what will be costs, will take a call depending on that, otherwise will have a world war again @ home
lets see how it goes
Old 18th January 2012, 13:58   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Suhaas,

Are there any specific models and brands that you recommend for ANHC? Ideally, I would like the speakers to fit into doors neatly in the space where the OEM speakers would have fit.

And any HUs that come to your mind which are good/proven?
JBL makes some good speakers. You could get a simple set of 4 speakers and two tweeters. If you're a fan of bass, get a sub and an amp. For HUs, I've always been a fan of Pioneer HUs. They do the job wonderfully, and don't cost a bomb either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Ya , true the file type also plays...

...home
lets see how it goes

I think k2max6 has suggested the best setup for your car, and phx's car as well.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th January 2012 at 14:02.
Old 18th January 2012, 14:24   #11
PhX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Since you are not too keen on a touchscreen HU you can get a decent double din HU around 8k/10k/12k .eg.JVC XR-416/616/816
or if going for single din,you can look at kenwood 7016 for 13k.Great SQ
A decent set of component speakers (6.5") for the front doors.7k
One pair coaxial speakers for the rear doors.3-4k
Total 22k
You can add a 4 Channel amp for around 7k.It would improve the listening experience.
Wiring For Amp 2.5k
Total 9.5k +22k = 31.5k

I guess JBL would be available at the dealership,so you can choose the speakers and amp from JBL. Stay away from Sony.
Prices mentioned are approx expected prices at the dealership.Open Market would be around 15-20% cheaper.
Brilliant advice. You've given me a great platform to start my research!
I have decided that any HU I get should have 3 pre-outs in case I later decide to install a sub.

Also, what exactly does the amp do? And if I get an amp, will I not need a sub?

Any speakers or amps you recommend from JBL?

Btw, couldn't find Kenwood 7016 on the India website. They have 8016, which also includes Bluetooth, so I'm liking it. It also looks very elegant.

And finally, tell me something...the standard audio in ANHC is 2-DIN, so it has space for a 2-DIN. If I install a 1-DIN, will it look ok?
(probably a noob question)
Old 18th January 2012, 14:35   #12
BHPian

An amplifier basically amplifies the sound so that speakers can reproduce the sound properly, the internal amplifier of the HU is a little weak for the speakers if you by the input wattage required by the speakers.
For now the amp can power all the 4 speakers.Later when you add a Sub you can connect the front speakers and the sub to amp and power the rear speakers from the HU. Take the JBL GT6-X646 (7k Approx)
7016 is basically 8016BT without the bluetooth.Its an SQ oriented HU.
Although a touchscreen HU would look better and you can have the rear camera connected to it.Pioneer has some decent ones in the range of 15k-20k
As far as looks are concerned some people have installed single-din in their ANHC. Search for it in the forum & decide.
It would be better if you could confirm from the dealership,what brands are available with them.

Last edited by k2max6 : 18th January 2012 at 14:37.
k2max6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 17:56   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which ICE for 2012 Honda City Corporate Edition (Budget: 40k)?

I am doing the same research for my CE as well so here goes...

50K would be a solid budget for the sound system.

Get a good quality touchscreen player (preferably Pioneer, they make some super quality HUs) which should be anywhere near 22-25K,
some nice 6.5" components + tweeters for the front which should be around 8-9K,
a set of 6x9 coaxials for the rear doors which could be between 5-6K,
and a good powerful amp at around 8-9K.
Wiring should cost another 4K, and your setup is complete.
See if you can get Scosche wiring (should cost around 2.5-3K). That is some quality wiring.

I suggest skipping any subwoofers for now. They take up too much space and you will have to sacrifice a part of the boot for it (if it's an enclosed sub),
or you might have to take the rear seat out and get a pad specially made (or cut) in the rear tray, behind the rear seat, if it's an open one. Plus, if the wiring is not correctly done, subs usually tend to make a lot of annoying humming noise which can really get on your nerves. Most importantly, if you need rich and clear bass without the thumps and the "dhoom-dishums", a quality setup without any subs will do wonderfully well.

The 6x9ers at the rear will compensate more than enough for the sub, and they contain inbuilt tweeters.

See if you can get an all-JBL setup for the speakers and the Amp.
HU should ideally be Pioneer.
Tweeters perform the best when they are at the front (one on either side of the front windscreen), the right one (in front of driver) angled towards front passenger, and the left one (in front of front passenger) angled towards the driver, so ditch any plans of getting separate rear tweeters.

Recs -

HU - Pioneer AVH 4390 or 3350BT (if touchscreen),
Front - JBL GTO-609C,
Rear - JBL GTO 949, (with inbuilt tweeters)
Amp - JBL GT-X646,

and a USB interface cable (either the Pioneer CD-IU200V or the CD-IU50V).

Sent you a PM as well. All the best!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 18th January 2012 at 17:58.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 00:29   #14
PhX
BHPian

Quote:
That sounds like a good plan. However, if you're going to install a sub/amp later, wouldn't that be infringement of company-policy?
Just noticed this question. No, it won't be an infringement. Basically, whatever invoice I get from the dealer now, I can claim a loan against it. Later, if I want to add/subtract anything, I do so with my own cash. Car will be in my name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Recs -

HU - Pioneer AVH 4390 or 3350BT (if touchscreen),
Front - JBL GTO-609C,
Rear - JBL GTO 949, (with inbuilt tweeters)
Amp - JBL GT-X646,

and a USB interface cable (either the Pioneer CD-IU200V or the CD-IU50V).

Sent you a PM as well. All the best!
Thanks a million for your PM and for the detailed post. I tried, but it only lets me hit the "Thanks" button once :P

I'm going to stick to the recs you gave me for the Front, Rear and Amp. I'm still undecided on the HU. I'm considering the 3350BT, but I want to make sure. I tried finding some videos to see how it functions, but haven't been able to do so. Found some videos of the 4390, though, and it looks sweet.

The other option I'm thinking of is to have a 1-DIN system (in which case might go for the Kenwood 8016BT) and in the leftover space, have a tray installed where I can store pen drives and other such things...

BTW, should I stay away from Sony only for the speakers or even for the HU? Because the GT77UI looks quite decent, although it doesn't have Bluetooth. The dealer also suggested XAV-72BT, but I think that's just too much for what I want.

Last edited by PhX : 19th January 2012 at 00:30. Reason: typo
Old 19th January 2012, 12:33   #15
BHPian

If you get the GTO949 you'll have the get the rear tray cut.They are 6X9 speakers and can be installed on the tray only.I would suggest you installing a pair in the doors.If you don't have a chauffeur you can get any 6" coaxial speakers else you can get the component speakers installed in the rear doors.
I would Say ,Stay away from Sony be it anything in CarAudio!
k2max6 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks