Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2012, 09:12   #1
BHPian

BMW Apps - How can i get em on my 530d ?

I always thought it would be cool to have your calendar read out to you in your car or your Facebook/Twitter updates available for viewing. Guess what, it's available as BMW Apps on our iDrive!! The killer app is internet radio. Think about this - now you have access to hundreds of radio networks across the globe with several populating any genre you can think of - all playing out of your car stereo. So if you like electronic music there are like 30 audio channels playing the latest tracks throughout the day. Kind of makes satellite radio redundant doesn't it?

Here's my issue though. This time at the auto show it was available on the 640d, the M5 and the Steinway 7 series but not in the 530d. I bought mine (the new one with the full black cluster etc) two months ago and mine DOESN'T have it. I was pretty upset about this so I started doing some research. I found that if you have a professional navigation( the indian 530d has it) then all it requires is a software download. I also researched on the web that there are companies that have retro-fitted the software on previous gen 530d as well. Question is where to get the software? Does anyone here know if this can be done in India?
Zkalra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 10:54   #2

My suggestion, get a smartphone, download tune-it(or some other internet radio), hook it up through AUX, sit back and enjoy. Much easier than going through all the hurdles of upgrading.
itspb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 14:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW Apps - How can i get em on my 530d ?

There is a connected drive dock or something which fits in your centre console. better contact Deutsche Motoren for the same. A friend of mine is using the same from his iphone onto his BMW 530d.
Old 21st January 2012, 00:58   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
There is a connected drive dock or something which fits in your centre console. better contact Deutsche Motoren for the same. A friend of mine is using the same from his iphone onto his BMW 530d.
Ok will call them. I guess what I have to find out if it will give full connected drive functionality.
Old 21st January 2012, 08:20   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

How do these apps like internet radio work? Is there a 3g Sim card slot? This certainly is the next-gen of ICE, something I have eagerly been waiting for.
I hope car makers like BMW adopt third party softwares like Android to maximize the potential of these system, not to forget it would give access to a lot more apps when in an open source.
Old 21st January 2012, 08:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

You will need to update the option 6NR through your dealer via a software download. This should be available somewhere by March 2012.
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2012, 11:18   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
You will need to update the option 6NR through your dealer via a software download. This should be available somewhere by March 2012.
Will this be only for the 5 or even for the 3?
Old 21st January 2012, 11:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

It should be possible on the 3 Series, not yet confirmed. Will let you know once the official bulletin is out.
Old 21st January 2012, 11:36   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Will this be only for the 5 or even for the 3?
I think it should be available for the 3 provided you have the professional navigation i.e. 10.2 inch screen.
Right now I have seen it only on the 640d and Steinway 7 series at the auto show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
How do these apps like internet radio work? Is there a 3g Sim card slot? This certainly is the next-gen of ICE, something I have eagerly been waiting for.
I hope car makers like BMW adopt third party softwares like Android to maximize the potential of these system, not to forget it would give access to a lot more apps when in an open source.
Pretty simple if you have an iPhone 4 (currently the only phone supported). You simply plug the device into the cradle or via a USB in the central dash. Download an app called BMW Connected from the App store (free) and then provided you have the software installed along with the professional navigation (currently only on the 530d and the 7) you should be ready to go. I have seen numerous YouTube videos on this and the Internet radio is by far and away he killer app.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 21st January 2012 at 12:24. Reason: back to back posts
Old 21st January 2012, 12:00   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
It should be possible on the 3 Series, not yet confirmed. Will let you know once the official bulletin is out.
Just did a bit of research, so its only iphone compatible. What a bummer!. Hey mav, if you could check when the cradle for the Bold 9900 will be out it will be great.
Old 21st January 2012, 12:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just did a bit of research, so its only iphone compatible. What a bummer!. Hey mav, if you could check when the cradle for the Bold 9900 will be out it will be great.
The adapter for the BOLD 9000 and 9700 can be ordered for approx Rs.8500. Adapter for the 9900 is not yet available.
Maverick5490 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2012, 21:41   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW Apps - How can i get em on my 530d ?

Quote:
I find the cradle rather useless when you have bluetooth. Let the phone be in your pocket or wherever.

I dont see why the iDrive apps need to connect through a phone, they should provide an additional utility of a 3g simcard slot. I rather keep a separate sim in at all times than connect my phone in everytime. The functioning of the apps would be disrupted or slowed down everytime I talk on the phone simultaneously.
I am sure a person that can afford a BMW can afford to pay less 700 odd rupees a month for unlimited 3g data to keep the apps alive. As is, only the tech savvy ones would use these apps anyways hence they would indeed appreciate a dedicated 3g sim slot.
Old 22nd January 2012, 07:54   #13
BHPian

I just want my Internet radio out of this whole thing. Don't understand why these foreign companies keep short changing Indian customers. I mean let's face it, due to duty or whatever, we are paying double what the Europeans pay for their Bimmers. Why then do they not put in certain features that don't cost extra? Just like this one. I mean the hardware exists just give us the darn software.
Old 16th February 2012, 15:04   #14
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I have got the navigation enabled on my BMW E60 530d Highline by Bird Auto in Gurgaon.Anyone interested in the same can get it done now provided you have the new idrive CIC & the 8.8 inch screen.Mine was the first e60 to get it as I've been after them for a while for the same.I have a blackberry bold 9000 & 9700/9780 snap in adapter which fits the 3 & 5 series in the centre armrest for sale if someone is interested.I have also shot off an email to BMW for retrofit of the 6NR & 6NF options ie smartphone integration & BMW apps for the E60.Lets see if that's possible.

Cheers.
Old 4th March 2012, 15:57   #15
BHPian

Any updates on this guys?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks