I went in for the following setup in my Optra one week back:
a> Infinity components at the front
b> Infinity co-axials at the back in the parcel tray
c> JBL four channel amp. for the speakers
d> JBL Monoblock amp for the BassTubes
e> Original JBL Wiring
f> Pioneer 8650 Head Unit
g> 2 JBL Basstubes of 1200 Watts each

The total setup cost me about Rs. 65,000.

I have had THREE problems since I got the setup. They are:

a> The boot of my car vibrates a lot and instead of a thumping sound outside, the vibrating sound from the boot reigns supreme. This is very annoying as I want the people outside to listen to the solid thumping sound and not the vibrating boot. I've done a lot of things for the boot personally. Filled in the gaps with thick thermocol, sealed the gaps with silicon gel and made the numberplace tight with double tapes all under it. Still the problem remains and I am not satisfied at all.

b> The Pioneer 8650 has a lot of settings and the dealer wasn't able to configure them properly. I want a solid sharp punch from the basstubes, thats why I went in for two of them and ran them through a Monoblock amp. Could you please provide me with the settings which works in perfect harmony with the components in the front, co-axials in the rear and the subwoofers and I get the awesome crystal clear sound along with the sharp punch and deep bass I am looking for.

c> Since a couple of days now, the amps have suddenly started tripping. When I play music for long, then switch off my car and switch on again, I just hear the thumping of the Basstubes, no speakers playing. Then gradually, they start playing or if they don't, I have to switch off the system/car for a few minutes and then start it back again, the speakers start playing. It's as if the amps trip or something. When I went to the shop where I installed it from, the said it was from the fuse and that the fuse was leaving the connction or something. "Fuse connection chor de raha hai, phir thanda hokar chalta hai", thats what he said. Also, there is some stray current which comes back once I start my car and this is also causing problems. After staying there for three hours, the problem could not be rectified. He tried changing the fuse (30A) with some other 30 ampere ones but to no avail. Increasin gain/ Reducing gain but no effect at all. The same thing with my basstubes. When both were attached to the Monoblock, the amp used to trip and the bass stopped coming with only the speakers playing. But after disconnecting one of the bassstubes, it seems fine now. I have to go there again on Wednesday to get it checked as it was getting late today. I don't think I need a capacitor as there is no dimming of the headunit or of the interior lights ec.

Please do help me out guys. It's all so harrowing and I feel so pathetic. After spending a large amount on the whole setup, compromising nowhere, I have not been satisfied since day 1. My dreams of getting that perfect sound has become so elusive that I dont know what to do. I am totally at a loss here and the only last resort I had was to turn to Team-Bhp for support. All the gurus here Navin, Sam, Gunbir, Karthik, SoundManiac and all of them who I don't know....... please help me out getting the sound that I always wanted in the first place, but was always plagued by these three problems. I am also contemplating removing one basstube so that the amp does not trip and I guess even one basstube would be enough? Or should I stick with two? All of team bhp's suggestions and instructions would be very welcome and awaited. When I go there, I want to be very clear and sure about what changes need to be applied and to what extent, and Team- Bhp is my only hope.
Old 20th March 2006, 23:54   #2
BHPian

Hello

A buddy of mine had a similar kinda setup in his ikon.... and similar problems too for about a week or 2 when he bought the setup.... it cost him roughly 80k or so.... in the end he had to shell out some more dough and got himself a crossover and a 2nd battery in the corner of the boot..... incredible clarity was what i noticed immediately after installing the crossover and his setup didnt trip after installing the 2nd battery.... ofcourse he also bought some high quality wires and fuses too... try out khan market.... thats where his problem was solved. goodluck
Old 21st March 2006, 00:40   #3
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Xtreme_torque : I have a Pio 8650 too its got xovers and the pre-out voltage is bout 6.5V. I'll tell u wat you must have got the "MIC" along with the head unit. Put in this mic and setup the AUTO-EQ. Read up the manual on how to setup the Time Alignment and AUTO-EQ. I've setup the Time alignment to the "Front-Right" side (driver side). Stick the MIC to ur Driver side headrest facing forward. Once ur AUTO-EQ is done u shud hear a proper sound, this is not the best setup but taking the AUTO-EQ as a refernce u can improve on the EQ and get the kinda sound u want.

Secondly try and find out if all the three pre-outs on 8650 have been used. Check the balance and fader to check all connections. And after u make sure all connections are right switch of the subwoofer and start playing with the XOVERS (FHPF/FLPF and RLPF/RHPF). This shud be a considerable difference to SQ.

Now bout the boot vibrations. Double tape, foam, dynamat etc are ur choices. I just got foam put around the sides and the boot lid in my santro result = less vibration = tighter bass feeling.

And one more thing try to check whether both the amps have been wired separatly to the Battery. My mono amp would also trip if'd run it without the engine on but then i got it wired separatly to the battery and now its purrfecto.

I think u have enuff stuff in ur car lil bit of tweaking here n there is needed.
Old 21st March 2006, 00:55   #4
BHPian

thanks bling, i've already done the auto-eq thing alomg with time adjustment three-four days back and the results were good. but not upto the mark. and plus the vibration problems and the tripping thing..... man its so bugging.
Old 21st March 2006, 02:50   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

for sound setup in poineer head units keep the audio setup button pressed for 3 seconds and select 80 2w,1k 2w,12k 1w.this setting sounds best for most setups.
Old 21st March 2006, 03:31   #6
BHPian

nopes anshuman, the fowwing setting that you mentioned is not in the 8650. In the 7750 yeas, but neither in 8650 nor in 9650.
Old 21st March 2006, 11:32   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme Torque
a> Infinity components at the front
b> Infinity co-axials at the back in the parcel tray
c> JBL four channel amp. for the speakers
d> JBL Monoblock amp for the BassTubes
e> Original JBL Wiring
f> Pioneer 8650 Head Unit
g> 2 JBL Basstubes of 1200 Watts each

a> ...I've done a lot of things for the boot personally. Filled in the gaps with thick thermocol, sealed the gaps with silicon gel and made the numberplace tight with double tapes all under it. Still the problem remains and I am not satisfied at all.

b> The Pioneer 8650 has a lot of settings ...I get the awesome crystal clear sound along with the sharp punch and deep bass I am looking for.

c> ...the amps have suddenly started tripping....The same thing with my basstubes. When both were attached to the Monoblock....
1. Thermocol will not do anything. and silicon gel will at best seal up the air gaps.

1. Use sponge rubber or stuff like Dynamat to damp vibrations. I'd suggest lead sheet too but it is carcenogic and must be only used inside boxes not where it has contact with the outside world.

2. THis requires you to take you car to someone who knows what he is doing. start here...

keep all amps gain between 50 and 70%. not more or less.
turn off all EQ. Set all EQ to flat. lower Subwoofer level as slow as it will go. and set Fader and Balance to center.
Now set Fader to the front and just work on the front speakers. Once you are satisfied with the sound in the front. move to the back. then add the sub to taste.
I think you are trying too many things at one time. Take it one step at a time.

3. amp tripping: check all your cables. Make sure none of them have been pinched or damaged during installtion.
Old 21st March 2006, 11:52   #8
BHPian

sorry to ask but what is ICE...
Old 21st March 2006, 12:08   #9
BHPian

ICE means In Car Entertainment.
Old 21st March 2006, 12:25   #10
BHPian

xtreme_torque, i feel you would have been better off with A JBL GTO 1200B (box) because it has a very tight effect of bass compared to the Bass Tubes which are renowned and famous for being bone jarring and for being very high on vibrations. It also boils down to taste at the end of the day. Bur IMHO, you would have been better of with a boxed sub maybe two rather than 2 bass tubes

Cheers
Old 21st March 2006, 13:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

I'm surprised to hear that your speaker amp trips. It should be cool driving 4 speakers. There must be a bungle-up somewhere in the wiring. And if that installer can't wire 4 speakers right, I wonder what he's done with the monoblock and the subs and the HU settings. Full disaster scenario.

Adding an out board crossover is just going to add to the confusion of your installer...and your woes. And I am certainly not of the belief that an external crossover adds 'clarity'. And you also don't need one cos the 8650s got more in-built crossover possibilites than most commonly available aftermarket active X-overs.

There's no such thing as 'Fuse chor de raha hai'. Lol, that is funny. It's a fuse, not a thermostat.

I suggest you go to a better installer.
Old 21st March 2006, 15:02   #12
BHPian

Hi dude,
The tripping is due to lack of power in your battery. There is a rated minimum current required for your amp to switch on the circuits. But when heavy load (High bass) plays, the current consumption will increse and your battery is not able to handle the surge. The best solution is to connect a capacitor accross your battery. So during the power surge, the capacitor will discharge and give a smooth power transmission. Most of the guys here would be using it. But i didnt see anyone giving you this solution.. Or do you have it in your setup ?

So to solve your issue the first step is to solve the probs with auto tripping. To do that rewire the entire system with good quality capacitors ( Seperate for each amp) using good quality wire and fuse. Once this is done, swich on your car for a while or charge the battery fully using a car charger. Tune the system only when your battery got full charge. And while tuning the system you should keep your engine running. Now adjust he faders to get a perfect balance. I dont know anything about the HU i got. But as it is a high end system, you will be having a Sub volume. Try to reduce it and see its affecting the Sub sound output or not. If it is not then there is some thing wrong in the wiring. Try to connect the dedicated subout of your HU to Monoblock. LPF cna also configured. Try it out.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 21st March 2006 at 15:14.
Old 21st March 2006, 15:18   #13
aZa
Senior - BHPian

As our mod Navin rightly pointed out First set ur fader to all the way front and setup ur front stage (xovers) then move back setting up ur rear fill.

Yaar for the tripping part check up the Source level (SLA) in ur headunit keep it to ZERO and not +4 now check if ur amp trips.

Then check whether ur COMP/BMX is on or ...in functions

Btw... at what volume level does the amp trip ?
Old 21st March 2006, 15:35   #14
Team-BHP Support

HCP, He does not need a cap.

XT, check your wiring. It is a lot cheaper than buying a capacitor. :-)
Old 21st March 2006, 18:26   #15
BHPian

thank you so much for your advices. Navin, you were right the problem does lie with the cables. As for the vibration and all my other problems, i met up with the best guy I could in delhi, Gunbir.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks