Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2013, 11:30   #61
BHPian

Re: ICEing my VW Polo 1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Lol!! Yeah I am glad I am satisfied too. I would kill myself if I wasn't

Price breakup is on page 3 but posting it again for your convenience. Prices are MRPs before discounts.

Headunit : Alpine ICS-X8 - 43k (purchased from Dubai. Costs 70k in India)
Fr Comps : Gladen Zero 165 - 28k
Rr Coaxials : Audio Systems CO 165 G Plus - 7k
4ch Amp : Mosconi One 120.4 - 33k
RCAs X 02 : Gladen Zero Cinch 5 - 2.4k
Speaker wires (15 AWG) : 2.5k for 25m
Monster Single Amp Power Cable - 16k
Xscorpion Distribution Block : 3.5k
Dynamat Xtreme : 7k
Focal BAM XL : 14k
Installation : 7k

The Focal BAM XL damping is meant specifically for door pads as they are spongy like acoustic foam but also have aluminium sheet in it. If used on the doors, they will probably absorb water.
Hi Epic,

The ICE install looks neat especially the HU looks well integrated.

I am planning on a similar setup for my polo and wanted to know your opinion. This is what i am planning for:

- HU either JVC KW-R900BT or KENWOOD DPX500BT (leaning towards the Kenwood) dont need a touch screen
- Front Components (undecided max 10k)
- Rear Coaxial (undecided)
- Amp (undecided max 10k) maybe under the seat, i need the boot space.

Do you find the need for a sub?
Any particular reason why not to locate the amp below the front passenger seat? and by how much does your amp intrude into the boot space, how do you find living with it?
Any opinions about the HU's that i have mentioned?

looking forward to your reply.
Thanks man.
Old 6th May 2013, 10:46   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankazoid!!! View Post
Hi Epic,

The ICE install looks neat especially the HU looks well integrated.

I am planning on a similar setup for my polo and wanted to know your opinion. This is what i am planning for:

- HU either JVC KW-R900BT or KENWOOD DPX500BT (leaning towards the Kenwood) dont need a touch screen
- Front Components (undecided max 10k)
- Rear Coaxial (undecided)
- Amp (undecided max 10k) maybe under the seat, i need the boot space.

Do you find the need for a sub?
Any particular reason why not to locate the amp below the front passenger seat? and by how much does your amp intrude into the boot space, how do you find living with it?
Any opinions about the HU's that i have mentioned?

looking forward to your reply.
Thanks man.
Hi Frankazoid.

You need to ask yourself what you require out of you ICE set up. Is it loudness, clarity, feature rich or just a regular set up of 04 speakers to give you basic sound?

Now, going by the HUs you have shortlisted, it seems to me that you are looking for clarity. This is more pronounced in the JVC HU. I looked through their specifications on their websites and the JVC is a better bet as it has a much better DAC, Time Correction and probably better tuning features in addition to other features like Bluetooth, Direct iPod control, USB, etc which is also available on the Kenwood. So I would recommend the JVC. However, you can also look at Pioneer HUs.

Components should always be chosen after listening to them so that you will know what to expect from them. You can look at JBL, Infinity, Morel, etc. Same goes for the rear coaxials.

It is always important to have your equipment compliment each other. So if you are looking at a good HU to send good signals to your amp, you must have an amp which can also send an equally good or better signal to the speakers in order to achieve the desired results. So I am not sure if you would get such an amp under 10k.
Install location of the amp is again a personal choice. I personally do not like them under the seat as they are difficult to access and probably get stamped on by passengers at the rear. In my previous car which was a Swift and had a much smaller boot, I had 02 amps which were installed on the rear of the back seat. I also had a sub in a box. But in that case I had to be very careful which putting in luggage as many time they used to bang against the amps leading to scratches. Now since the Polo has a much bigger boot and also has the 60:40 split seats so neither did I want to sacrifice the boot space with a sub nor did I want to fit the amp on the back of the seats and sacrifice the 60:40 split. So I just fitted it at the side and it was sorted. I have the entire boot to myself and happy with the decision. Am I missing the sub? No, I am not and this is not because I am getting the same effect as that of a sub but only because I like the way it is sounding currently. It is just right for me. The build quality of VW cars are superb which add to a better sounding sound system. I get pretty good mids and bass which I am happy with.

Hope I have been of help.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2016, 13:51   #63
Senior - BHPian

Need to Upgrade My HU

Hi guys,

So after a good couple of years with this system, I have decided that I need to improve it a bit. The sound is good and I am pretty content with it but I do believe I need a better HU. Now I had no plans on doing any more changes to this system and I had plans of selling the car (without the ICE of course - ICE would be sold separately) but have now decided to retain it for another 02 years max.

Why the HU and nothing else? Here are my reasons:

1. My current HU is the Alpine ICS-X8. This was probably the first HU with MirrorLink. Unfortunately, the DriveLink app isn't available in India and makes the 'MirrorLink' functionless! It has DVD (which I don't use) and Navigation (which I cannot use because of the lack of DriveLink app). So it is now just a 2DIN HU with good SQ.

My plan is to replace this with a Pioneer 2DIN with Navigation, MirrorLink and CarPlay.

2. The set up in my previous car (Swift) had the Pioneer P80RSII with Morel Tempos driven through a JBL 75.4 amp and an Infinity 12" sub driven through a JBL 301.1 mono block. This set up sounded better than my current set up and I truly believe the Pioneer HU had a lot to do with it. I have noticed that the sound signatures of the Pioneer suited my ears better than the Alpine. I also found the Morels to be better than my current Gladen Zero 165 speakers.

3. In the event I decide to sell off my car, I can always retain the new HU and probably change the speakers to Morel depending on the size required.

My current set up is as follows:

Headunit : Alpine ICS-X8
Fr Comps : Gladen Zero 165
Rr Coaxials : Audio Systems CO 165 G Plus
4ch Amp : Mosconi One 120.4
RCAs X 02 : Gladen Zero Cinch 5
Speaker wires (15 AWG)
Monster Single Amp Power Cable
Xscorpion Distribution Block
Dynamat Xtreme
Focal BAM XL

I have to choose between the Pioneer AVIC-F80BT , AVIC-F70BT , AVIC-F970BT and AVIC-F60BT.

By doing the comparison on the Pioneer website, it seems like the Pioneer AVIC-F970BT is the favourite. What it doesn't have as compared to the rest are SD, Android Auto and HDMI.

Need help with suggestions.
Old 17th April 2016, 08:17   #64
BHPian

Re: Need to Upgrade My HU

Quote:

I have to choose between the Pioneer AVIC-F80BT , AVIC-F70BT , AVIC-F970BT and AVIC-F60BT.

By doing the comparison on the Pioneer website, it seems like the Pioneer AVIC-F970BT is the favourite. What it doesn't have as compared to the rest are SD, Android Auto and HDMI.

Need help with suggestions.
I'm on the same boat as you, as I didn't want to fit the Android ones and almost shortlisted AVIC-F970BT. However there's a whole lot of NEX series announced by Pioneer for this year and already launched in US. I've decided to wait for them to arrive at our shore as well.
Features I'm after - Pioneer, Double din touch screen, Car Play, (optional - built-in Navigation)
Old 2nd May 2016, 10:57   #65
Senior - BHPian

Hello everyone,

Since I am in the process of replacing my Alpine ICS-X8 head unit; should I take the plunge with the Pioneer AVIC F80BT? Is anyone currently using it or has anyone had any experience with this unit?
Old 23rd May 2016, 00:25   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Since I am in the process of replacing my Alpine ICS-X8 head unit; should I take the plunge with the Pioneer AVIC F80BT? Is anyone currently using it or has anyone had any experience with this unit?
Hey, Me too looking forward to upgrade my HU, and since I love to have android auto the choices are F80, F70 and 8790bt. Ruled out the last one when I decided to go for a Nav unit.

There is a 3k price difference between F80 and F70. And the differences I was able to find (from their site) was, F80 has HDMI input which the 70 doesn't have and F80 doesn't support Mirrorlink which the F70 does. (Please correct me if I am wrong).

Me too confused between the 80 and 70
Old 13th June 2016, 15:31   #67
BHPian

Hi Experts,

Is it possible to fit a sub-woofer on the parcel tray on the Vento TSI ?
If yes, then is there are SQ degradation with this type of install ?

I have seen many cars, namely, OHC, Ikon, Accent where the sub is mounted on the parcel tray accompanied by 1 speaker on each side of the sub.

Your advise will greatly help.

Thanks.
Old 21st June 2016, 11:05   #68
BHPian

Quote:

I also found the Morels to be better than my current Gladen Zero 165 speakers.
Hi I am looking for 4 speakers and an amp for driving it. One audio shop suggested me Morel tempo component (20k) + Morel co-axial (7k) + Audisson amp(20k) + cables and damping. Do you believe that the prices are right or on higher side? Also do you have any other model to suggest for a good tight base and maximum clarity which is priced lower, but will offer the same sound quality? Or any other brands do you suggest?
Old 21st June 2016, 15:50   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Hi I am looking for 4 speakers and an amp for driving it. One audio shop suggested me Morel tempo component (20k) + Morel co-axial (7k) + Audisson amp(20k) + cables and damping. Do you believe that the prices are right or on higher side? Also do you have any other model to suggest for a good tight base and maximum clarity which is priced lower, but will offer the same sound quality? Or any other brands do you suggest?
I think the prices are just about alright. I remember paying a similar price for my equipment.

If you are on a budget, you can look at speakers from the JBL or Infinity stable or the Morel Maximos. But if you are going to use that Audison amp then I suggest better speakers to match them.
Old 21st June 2016, 17:18   #70
BHPian

Quote:
if you are going to use that Audison amp then I suggest better speakers to match them.
Thank you for the input. So does it mean that Morel Tempo can be driven with a less powerful amp? If so can you suggest some model or price range which can drive Tempo speakers satisfactorily?
Also just a basic question, we use higher priced amp to drive higher wattage speakers right, as watts per channel will be higher, so when we move from a 4k rs speaker to a 20k speaker, does the RMS watt also increase considerably?

Is there any thumb rule like amp shall be half/quarter the rate of speakers? Because eod we can even put amps more expensive than speakers, but what could be the cut off point.
Old 23rd June 2016, 12:17   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Thank you for the input. So does it mean that Morel Tempo can be driven with a less powerful amp? If so can you suggest some model or price range which can drive Tempo speakers satisfactorily?
Also just a basic question, we use higher priced amp to drive higher wattage speakers right, as watts per channel will be higher, so when we move from a 4k rs speaker to a 20k speaker, does the RMS watt also increase considerably?

Is there any thumb rule like amp shall be half/quarter the rate of speakers? Because eod we can even put amps more expensive than speakers, but what could be the cut off point.
Yes speaker can be driven by a less powerful amp. Even if you drive speakers through a more powerful amp (which is not really recommended), one needs to keep a check on the gains. In you case you mentioned your proposed amp to be Audison. A couple of questions:

1. Which model are you talking about? Is it a 4-channel or 2-channel amp
2. How many speakers do you plan to install. Ideally, it is 04 speakers or 04 speakers and a sub.
3. What about the wiring and cabling? This is a very important part of a set up as no matter how good or expensive your equipment is, if the quality and specification of wiring is not right then you will not get the desired output.
4. Are you looking for an SQ or SPL set up?
5. Importantly, what is your budget?

You can look at the following:

Amp:

1. Audison Prima AP 4.9 / AP 4D
70W X 4 and 260W X 2 @ 4 Ohms
130W X 4 @ 2 Ohms

2. Audison SR 4
65W X 4 / 60W X 2 + 109W X 1 / 175W X 2 @ 4 Ohms
90W X 4 @ 2 Ohms

Speakers:

Front : Morel Tempo 6 Two Way Components
120 W Max RMS
Rear : Morel Tempo 602 Coax
110 W Max RMS
Old 27th February 2017, 13:27   #72
Senior - BHPian

Which Speakers?

Hello everyone,

So looking to change my speakers to something with better clarity and mids.My current set up is:

Speaker wires (15 AWG)
Dynamat Xtreme
Focal BAM XL...

I will be probably looking at changing the HU to a Pioneer with CarPlay and/or Navigation but it must have manual Time Alignment.

I have used the Morel Tempo speakers in the past and have loved them; but the current set up might probably require something better than Tempos in the Morel range.
Old 19th October 2018, 13:55   #73
Senior - BHPian

Following up on the post above. My front right speaker (mid range only) seems to have developed a problem and is constantly jarring. The cone is either touching something or is busted. This now gives me a reason to get it repaired or changed. I am contemplating the following:

1. Morel Tempo Ultra 2-Way Components (Front Stage)
Morel Tempo Ultra Integra Coaxials (Rear Fills)

OR

2. Audible Physics Avatar 2-way Components (Front Stage)
Audio Systems CO 165 Coaxials (Rear Fills)

All other equipment will be the same. Please help.
Old 25th October 2019, 14:14   #74
Senior - BHPian

Please Help : New Speaker or Repair?

Hello everyone,

So its been around 04 years now since I had upgraded the ICE in my 2012 VW Polo 1.6. The current equipment is as follows:

Speaker wires (15 AWG)
Dynamat Xtreme
Focal BAM XL

Now, I have been fairly happy with the overall output and quality of sound with this set up. However, I have always felt that the front components could have sounded better. Ive had this feeling as I have used the Morel Tempos with a JBL 75.4 amp in my previous car (Swift) and felt that, that set up had sounded a tad better than my current one.

Now unfortunately the front right Gladen mid range is jarring badly and as per the diagnosis the mid range has gone bust. I suspect this could have happened due to water entering from the exterior when the cleaner was washing my car. It seems to be a purely human error. The crossover and tweeter are fine.

I now have two choices - Repair the affected mid range from an reputed store (Rs. 3000 approx) OR Replace the front components (Rs. 30,000 approx).

My questions:
1. If the speakers are repaired, would they sound the same?
2. If it is recommended to replace them, I do not intend to spend 30k for components at this point in time.
3. Would strictly want to stick to 02-way components only.
4. I would like to limit my budget to around 15k to 20k max.
5. Do not mind considering a set of good used components as well.

Please share your thoughts.
Old 4th November 2019, 17:19   #75
Senior - BHPian

In continuation to the above, I got the speakers checked yesterday and we found that the cone of the Front Right Midrange is stuck and does not have free movement. The technician told me that this is a common phenomenon when speakers are exposed to a lot of moisture. All that needs to be done is have the speaker serviced and it will be back to new.

Now I was glad to hear this but why did only this speaker get affected and why not the others?

Can anyone throw some light on this.

Most Viewed