Team-BHP - 2012 Honda city ICE installation tips
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   2012 Honda city ICE installation tips (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/115066-2012-honda-city-ice-installation-tips.html)

Hello Gurus,

I shall be going for the 2012 Honda City AT soon. I presently own an Optra Magnum with the following ICE:

AMPLIFIERS:
1) Earthquake T2000W/4
4 channel amp

2) JBL
GTO301.1 II 300-Watt Mono Subwoofer Amplifier

Front Door Components

KICKER AUDIO
DS- 600.2
Woofer Size : 6" (160mm)
Tweeter Size : .75" (20mm)
Dome Material : Titanium
Rated Impedance : 4Ohms
Max Power : 120W
RMS Power : 60W
Sensitivity 90dB

Rear Door Components

MTX AUDIO

Thunder Dome-Axial TDX5202
5-1/4” Coaxial
Cone Polypropylene
Tweeter 20mm Soft Dome
Pivoting Tweeter
Impedance 4 Ω
Frequency Response 55Hz-20kHz
Power (RMS) 45
Peak Music Power 90
Sensitivity @ 2.83V 92dB

SUBWOOFER

Kicker TCVT12-2 Car Audio 12" Shallow Enclosure Box

HEAD UNIT

JVC KW-AVX800

I am planning on selling the optra with only the JVC Head Unit and the F/R Components and plan to remove the amplifiers and use it in the new Honda city alongwith the kicker Sub.

My queries are:

A) Are these amps good enough or are there better models out now since these amps were bought in 2007. I dont want to invest in new amps when I can use the same. I shall surely get better components like Hertz for example. PLease also suggest some high quality components for the doors of the 2012 Honda City. I want to keep the look as stock as possible.

B) What is the best place to install 2 amps in a 2012 Honda City. Under the seats looks a bit scary as I am not comfy with the idea of drilling holes in the chassis of the new car.

C) If I don't change the entire system would anyone give me the value of the system while selling or is it better to strip the entire system down and transfer it to the new car.

D) Over time I realized that with a big setup like mine I hardly ever cranked up the volume since I'm mostly traveling with my family so I am looking for a system which give clean and crisp audio rather than loud sound. Of course it should also be able to handle solo drives with Trance Music.

E) Could you suggest a good enclosure slim sub. How are the Focals, Rackford Fosgates or Pioneers enclosed-removable subs. I like good tight bass rather than boomy.

D) Please advise me a good place to get the ICE fitted professionally. My Car Acc guy does it good but if there's a better place in Mumbai I don't mind checking it out.

Thats all for now.

Highly appreciate this opportunity to take advice from the Gurus here.

Thanks

Sunny

I guess I goofed up again and have not gone by the Mods format so I present my queries in the proper way hoping to get some advice:

1. Your Car: 2012 Honda City At

2. Your current setup (If any): Previous Vehicle (Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT fitted with the following:
AMPLIFIERS:
1) Earthquake T2000W/4
4 channel amp

2) JBL
GTO301.1 II 300-Watt Mono Subwoofer Amplifier

Front Door Components

KICKER AUDIO
DS- 600.2
Woofer Size : 6" (160mm)
Tweeter Size : .75" (20mm)
Dome Material : Titanium
Rated Impedance : 4Ohms
Max Power : 120W
RMS Power : 60W
Sensitivity 90dB

Rear Door Components

MTX AUDIO

Thunder Dome-Axial TDX5202
5-1/4” Coaxial
Cone Polypropylene
Tweeter 20mm Soft Dome
Pivoting Tweeter
Impedance 4 Ω
Frequency Response 55Hz-20kHz
Power (RMS) 45
Peak Music Power 90
Sensitivity @ 2.83V 92dB

SUBWOOFER

Kicker TCVT12-2 Car Audio 12" Shallow Enclosure Box

HEAD UNIT

JVC KW-AVX800

3. Your Budget: 50000-60000

4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? ___No Chauffeur_

5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): Trance, Ballads, House, Rock (Very Little) Jazz. Clarity is sought.

Additional Information:

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : _I can make do with an enclosed slim sub in the boot but want to keep doors as stock as possible.

I have some queries as following:

A) Are these amps good enough or are there better models out now since these amps were bought in 2007. I dont want to invest in new amps when I can use the same. I shall surely get better components like Hertz for example. Please also suggest some high quality components for the doors of the 2012 Honda City. I want to keep the look as stock as possible.

B) What is the best place to install 2 amps in a 2012 Honda City. Under the seats looks a bit scary as I am not comfy with the idea of drilling holes in the chassis of the new car.

C) If I don't change the entire system would anyone give me the value of the system while selling or is it better to strip the entire system down and transfer it to the new car.

D) Over time I realized that with a big setup like mine I hardly ever cranked up the volume since I'm mostly traveling with my family so I am looking for a system which give clean and crisp audio rather than loud sound. Of course it should also be able to handle solo drives with Trance Music.

E) Could you suggest a good enclosure slim sub. How are the Focals, Rockford Fosgates or Pioneers enclosed-removable subs. I like good tight bass rather than boomy.

D) Please advise me a good place to get the ICE fitted professionally. My Car Acc guy does it good but if there's a better place in Mumbai I don't mind checking it out.

Thats all for now.

Highly appreciate this opportunity to take advice from the Gurus here.

Thanks

Sunny

Hi Sunny, I would recommend to install the amps on the back of the back seat and cover it up with the seat cover material. Another option you can explore is to go for good 6x9 oval speakers and place them in a small mdf box and under the rear seat.The rear seat in the Honda City is more like a stand based approach and the speakers fit amazingly well. This will give you a nice sound with the setup you have. If you were in Hyderabad, I could have guided you to one of the best sound installers. All the best with your ICE setup pal :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunster (Post 2664739)
A) Are these amps good enough or are there better models out now since these amps were bought in 2007. I dont want to invest in new amps when I can use the same. I shall surely get better components like Hertz for example. PLease also suggest some high quality components for the doors of the 2012 Honda City. I want to keep the look as stock as possible.

I think these amps would do just fine as long as you dont want to listen to music at inaudible levels 90% of the times.

Quote:

I never go under the seats as there is always a chance of fire when these things overheat. I to have an ANHC AT and got two babies installed on a wooden frame that was first put in the boot behind the back seat. Than the amps were drilled into the wood.

Quote:

Just take the amps and the speakers. So all you would need is new wiring, plastic dash frame, and a new HU with BT and all the things that are essential in todays lifestyle.

Quote:

E) Could you suggest a good enclosure slim sub. How are the Focals, Rackford Fosgates or Pioneers enclosed-removable subs. I like good tight bass rather than boomy.

I have a Kicker 10" in my car and its a removable box. It eats into the boot, but if you do go outstation just remove it.

Aseem,

Thanks a lot for your inputs. Appreciate it. I am planning to sell my car with the HU and the Kicker components as it is. I plan to remove the amplifiers and the sub.
I have just a few thoughts:

1) Will changing the existing fourchannel Earthquake amp to something more newer and more renowned like a JBL or Blaupunkt better the sound quality compared to what it is now.
2) i always found the Kicker enclosed slim sub a bit boomy. If I buy a new sub like a Rockford Fosgate or a Focal enclosed box will the sound be better. I am looking for more tight and cleaner bass rather than BOOM BOOM.

If upgrading to a newer/renowned amp and sub will result in a radical improvement in sound I will change everything to new. Else I shall keep the same amps and just change to superior components.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Sunny

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparsh (Post 2666477)
Hi Sunny, I would recommend to install the amps on the back of the back seat and cover it up with the seat cover material. Another option you can explore is to go for good 6x9 oval speakers and place them in a small mdf box and under the rear seat.The rear seat in the Honda City is more like a stand based approach and the speakers fit amazingly well. This will give you a nice sound with the setup you have. If you were in Hyderabad, I could have guided you to one of the best sound installers. All the best with your ICE setup pal :)

Sparsh. Thanks a ton bro. I was just wondering about covering the amps within the seat cover material. Would that be possible with leather seats. Also wouldnt there be a heating problem that way.

Please comment

Cheers

Sunny

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

By going thru your setup.i would suggest

Headunit
Front 6" 2-way Components (Stock location)
Rear 6" 2/3-way Coaxials(Stock location)
Amplifier Placement - behind the rear seat
Subwoofer
Wiring
Spacer Rings
Damping

I would not recommend the 6 x 9 oval speakers as there is no stock provision for the placement also it would sound pathetic keeping it under the seat area,i would recommend for a complete new setup than installing the shallow enclosure box as it will hardly be heard inside the cabin area,an upgrade to the ancient 300.1 would benefit your ears :)

Ramie

Ramie,

Thanks a lot Bro. That really helps. I was also not keen for the oval speakers. I like the look as stock as possible. i am vizualising a nice amp sub setup in the trunk with some blue leds preferably although not sacrificing too much boot space. In any case we dont really stuff our trunks too much. I am just keen on knowing about the Earthquake amp I have. Would upgrading to a better amp give dramatic results in sound. If so then I want to sell my vehicle with the earthquake amp intact. I'll only remove the JBL mono amp and add a better 4 channel amp if it makes sense. Your thoughts?

Regards,

Sunny

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunster (Post 2666642)
Sparsh. Thanks a ton bro. I was just wondering about covering the amps within the seat cover material. Would that be possible with leather seats. Also wouldnt there be a heating problem that way.

Please comment

Cheers

Sunny

Sunny, This is possible with leather seats as well and there will be no heating problems as well. We have done the above mentioned setup in my close friends car with the 6x9's under the seat and it sounded amazing. This was done by an installer called Shakir in Hyderabad. I watched the movie Die Hard 4 and I could literally feel the bullets under my seat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparsh (Post 2667111)
I watched the movie Die Hard 4 and I could literally feel the bullets under my seat.

Wow, looks like this could also double up as a massager :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunster (Post 2667118)
Wow, looks like this could also double up as a massager :)

Even I would echo our fellow bhpians that you could look at going for 4 comps and a good sub. Around the amps, you could look at the JL Audio as well. Wishing you lots of happy miles and a rocking ICE to enjoy your drives.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparsh (Post 2667131)
Around the amps, you could look at the JL Audio as well.

Thanks for the heartfelt comments Sparsh. Any idea on what price range a good 4 channel JL audio amp would cost. Ballpark?

Thanks

Sunny

For speakers get the HAT products, they are the best

jp2u,

I haven't heard of Hats products. Are they Indian?

Also, to all the gurus here, how would you rate Earthquake TNT 4 channel amplifiers to say Blaupunkt, Pioneer, JBL, JL Audio. Price Wise and Sound quality wise. Is it similar or is there a vast difference.

Thanks

Sunny

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunster (Post 2667464)
Thanks for the heartfelt comments Sparsh. Any idea on what price range a good 4 channel JL audio amp would cost. Ballpark?

Thanks

Sunny

Sunny, A JL amp would cost approximately around 20-25K. If you get to lay your hands on a good Pioneer 944/904 4 channel amp in the used market, your car will just keep rocking and give all the latest amps a run for their money. Most importantly, sound setup is purely a personal choice based on your choice of music and sound setup for your car. You could try and audition multiple brands and combinations to get a feel of the output. Try the audition in a car and not in the showroom system as they could be highly misleading in terms of the actual output.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramie2400 (Post 2666767)
By going thru your setup.i would suggest

Headunit
Front 6" 2-way Components (Stock location)
Rear 6" 2/3-way Coaxials(Stock location)
Amplifier Placement - behind the rear seat
Subwoofer
Wiring
Spacer Rings
Damping

Ramie

Sorry to barge in but my question is:
Will I be able to fit Infinity Reference 6030cs 6-3/4" component speaker in the front without spoiling the aesthetics ? The specifications says spacers provided for fitting in 6.5. My doubt is will I be able to accommodate it in the space provided.

I mean it should be covered as original.
Model :All New Honda City latest model.\

Thanks & Cheers
MKP