Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2012, 16:05   #1
BHPian

FM Clarity issues

Hi Gurus,

I have a Blaupunkt MP57 HU with Blaupunkt TH Series (6x9) fitted in my Ford Ikon. Though the sound clarity is very good while listening to MP3s, it degrades drastically when I am listening to FM. Though there are patches when the FM clarity is good, but they are very far and few in between. Overall it is a very disappointing experience while listening to FM.

Now I am not really sure if this is a common problem for all, or is it something to do with my FM Receiver. Are there any checks that can help me figure out if this can be resolved through any wiring change / component change (such an antennae), or do I have to live with this forever? :-(

Regards,
Old 9th February 2012, 16:32   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: FM Clarity issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikonification View Post
Now I am not really sure if this is a common problem for all, or is it something to do with my FM Receiver.
This is an issue with most FM radios in car. There are multiple phenomenon that are the cause of the distortions (each distortion manifests itself differently). The most common form is what is known as Multipath distortion which manifest itself in siblant "s" and "z" sounds. This is common in urban areas due to reflections from tall buildings. Another common distortion is fencing where the signal seems to come and go. Some car radios (Pioneer's SuperTuner systems for example) had solved this electronically others used 2 antenna using the rear window defroster as one of the antenna.
navin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 16:56   #3
BHPian

Hi Ikonification, it is a general problem faced by most of cars, realized by a very few people. I realized this problem in my palio when i went back to the installer complaining that the left speaker was not working properly. He asked me if it happened on all medias and we realized that it happened only on radio. The reasons have been mentioned by navin and hence wont get into detail but has go lot to do with distortions and signal quality which is pretty weak.
Old 9th February 2012, 18:20   #4
BHPian

Had a similar issue in one of my previous cars(indica) which came with a windshield mount antenna from company. This was resolved by using an after market telescopic antenna, the longer steel one seen on older cars. As the antenna doesn't match the cars look, we fixed this inside the bonnet.
Old 9th February 2012, 20:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Did you check the antenna, if its connected properly, have had the same problem twice, once when i changed my HU and the guy forgot to connect the antenna wire to the HU and second time the wire was loose at the rear antenna connection.

Not sure if Ikon has a windshield antenna or a separate one, either way get the connection checked.
Old 9th February 2012, 21:19   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

@Ikonification, what kind of antenna do you have ?

I am using an after-market, powered internal antenna (chinese make that I got from US), and have not had any problems at all in 3 years. This stuck on the front windshield. HU is a 6 yr old Alpine.
I have also used a Blaupunkt internal wire-antenna, and found this also to be good.
Old 11th February 2012, 14:59   #7
BHPian

Thanks guys for such detailed explanations. That answers why the FM clarity always seem to go for a toss

Mayank and Condor - I have the default antenna that comes with the Ford Ikon. My experience is the FM clarify issue worsened after I changed my HU (from Pioneer to Blaupunkt). I better go and get the antenna connection checked - possible this could very well be the factor. If checking the antenna wiring doesn't help, I will reach back to ask for more options.

Thanks once again,
Cheers
Old 23rd October 2013, 00:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

I have a new Ritz with Kenwood-Nippon(MGA) KDC-U3556 HU and FM reception is generally good, but with hizz sound occasionally with Original roof mounted antenna. all the major FM stations(5-6 numbers) are at Cochin which is like 30kms radially from my place. I remember within 40kms radius FM reception should be satisfactory(core region). but, this is not happening here. the place(Muvattupuzha) is east of Kochi and the geography is midland with small hilly regions. when I am near Cochin, reception is obviously excellent.

Is there anything to improve FM reception? when I drive around the town and rural areas, the FM reception is bad and hizz sound starts. I have tested with some other cars and some have this issue while cars like Renault Duster gives excellent reception while driving.

Is this a problem with roof mounted Antenna? what is "bad earthing" as I read this can be a cause?

I have seen a "Car FM amplifier" in sites like Amazon.picture attached below.
will this have any effect. how it works?
as per product description:
Quote:
Many of the Newer Audi, BMW, Mercedes and VW vehicles come stock with an inline Booster similar to this one but they have European ends
With this item, you can have great reception as well
Less radio drift and improvement in both FM and AM reception
http://www.amazon.com/AGPtek%C2%AE-A...ster+amplifier
Attached Thumbnails
FM Clarity issues-312b7c71qrwl.jpg  

Last edited by deepclutch : 23rd October 2013 at 00:42.
Old 17th July 2019, 17:27   #9
BHPian

Sorry to bump an old thread but after updating from stock HU to Sony XAV-AX5000 in my Fortuner (first gen 2011 model), I am facing FM clarity issue for some stations. Audio quality of two stations is good but for other stations I could hear hiss sound.

Is there any way to improve FM reception. I didn't prefer external antenna, I have seen product "12V Car Radio Aerials Auto Car FM Antenna Amplifier Signal" on Aliexpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3300...2d4c4c4dfxOtjT

Is anybody in here using this kind of product? does it worked as described?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks