Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2012, 13:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

ICE for Indian BMWs

Hi Team,

I'd recently taken a visit to the BMW showroom and was impressed with the X1. BMW is not just giving a car but a motoring solution as a whole!

One part I feel depressed with is that the ICE is not good enough and at the same time, I do have an excellent ICE installed in my Fortuner which I would want in the BMW - if I were to purchase it.

Experts, do I have such an option with the BMW? The showroom team mentions this is not possible and would void warranty etc.

Please suggest.

regards,

Nitin
Old 10th February 2012, 14:15   #2
BHPian

Re: ICE for BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Hi Team,

I'd recently taken a visit to the BMW showroom and was impressed with the X1. BMW is not just giving a car but a motoring solution as a whole!

One part I feel depressed with is that the ICE is not good enough and at the same time, I do have an excellent ICE installed in my Fortuner which I would want in the BMW - if I were to purchase it.

Experts, do I have such an option with the BMW? The showroom team mentions this is not possible and would void warranty etc.

Please suggest.

regards,

Nitin

There is no option at least with bmw given that even an email to bmw just got a blank response due to the mail being forwarded to the showroom, and the sales man just telling me the same thing again.

Remember its all about what you cannot do on the bmw.
If you go with the non i drive the best you can do is add a external portable harddisk on which u can load uncompressed wav files.

Another option would be replacing the stock speakers with something from bavariansoundwerks.com

you cannot add in an amp as for every single thing the reply always is warranty is void and this becomes a larger problem when you opt for the BSI ultimate package.Can you pay a bill of a few lakhs if something goes wrong and they say you have messed with the electrical's.

Just to make a point its difficult to even replace a tiny light bulb to an led as it may lead to an error on the dash board if there is a slight change in the resistance.

i have to admit that something that should have been rather straight forward is next to impossible with bmw. unless you really know what your doing
Old 10th February 2012, 14:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Indeed, I was told the same by the showroom sales person but wanted to check if anyone in the forum had some workaround. The car also does not come with parking sensors for the low and mid variant!

Why would anyone want to purchase a car and not have any freedom of upgrades?

They seem to follow the Apple way, give you the complete motoring solution. The insurance and the annual service package entitles you to four run-flats, any service/repairs/replacements and unlimited service visits. This also includes even a scratch repair! The only exception is for the car wash/polish/pick & drop services!

Last edited by nitinbose : 10th February 2012 at 14:42.
Old 10th February 2012, 15:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

yess you can very well install a good system in the X1 there are alot of OEM to aftermarket integrations available to add up the desired speakers subwoofers components

Ramie
Old 10th February 2012, 15:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car also does not come with parking sensors for the low and mid variant!
There are only two variants & both come with rear parking sensors. The top end also has a visual display courtesy the idrive.

I remember you asking me this on my thread & I had replied
Old 10th February 2012, 16:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
yess you can very well install a good system in the X1 there are alot of OEM to aftermarket integrations available to add up the desired speakers subwoofers components

Ramie
I'm aware of this but what worries me is the BMW sales people mention this should not be done as the warranty would be affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
There are only two variants & both come with rear parking sensors. The top end also has a visual display courtesy the idrive.

I remember you asking me this on my thread & I had replied
There are two basic variants (petrol and diesel), Innovation & Exclusive. I doubt whether the basic has parking sensors, need to re-check. Suman, have you done any aftermarket installs? Is the iDrive feature really necessary or a 'nice-to-have'?
Old 11th February 2012, 10:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
There are two basic variants (petrol and diesel), Innovation & Exclusive. I doubt whether the basic has parking sensors, need to re-check.

You can check right here ,if you'd like.
BMW_X1_Specification_Sheet.pdf
Old 11th February 2012, 13:37   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: ICE for Indian BMWs

Here are two more threads that discuss the topic:

Link 1

Link 2
Old 11th February 2012, 14:04   #9
Team-BHP Support

If you get the Bavarian Sound Werks upgrade kit it is just plug and play so the showroom will not even know that you have upgraded all the speakers. You can also upgrade the underseat subs to better 8" ones which run off the stock amp. It will not be a banging system but probably reasonably better than stock.
Old 11th February 2012, 15:24   #10
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 13th February 2012 at 13:41.
Ikonification is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th February 2012, 17:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Well, I've already spent about a lakh and a half for my existing ICE and would wish to reinstall the same in the BMW, along with xenon lamps & front parking sensors, GPS etc. It would be really difficult to purchase such an expensive car with no freedom whatsoever.
Old 11th February 2012, 17:55   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, I've already spent about a lakh and a half for my existing ICE and would wish to reinstall the same in the BMW, along with xenon lamps & front parking sensors, GPS etc. It would be really difficult to purchase such an expensive car with no freedom whatsoever.
I doubt your existing ICE can be installed, because the BMW has 8" underseat woofers, and 4" mids in the doors while the Fortuner has 6.5" components.

The xenons may fit in the BMW but won't work properly unless they are can-bus compliant. Also you can kiss your warranty bye bye.

Frankly, just pick up the Exclusive fully loaded variant if you can, or be prepared to lose your warranty which IMO is not a good idea.

Looks like the Fortuner wasn't a good buy for you, I had advised you in your thread to go for the Yeti

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 11th February 2012 at 17:59.
Old 12th February 2012, 11:28   #13
Team-BHP Support

I think the outputs from the HU might just be pre-amp outs, because the car might have a built in amp to power all the speakers. In that case you will be able to add other amps. Go through Bimmerpost.com.

Last edited by GTO : 13th February 2012 at 13:42. Reason: Removing off-topic discussion bits
Old 12th February 2012, 12:27   #14
BHPian

Ice integrated into what ?, i couldn't get you.
I don't think it would be possible to replace the head unit because the head unit in the base version of the X1 since does some functions of the I Drive with the black and white display to a certain extent.
The basic problem would be that with any modification , if and when an error appears you need to have somebody who can help you with diagnosing and fixing / resetting the error code i couldn't find anybody in Bangalore for that. which means you are going to have to take the car back to navnit for everything.Remember they charge you 900 to pick up and drop the car even if the service is free.

i changed over from Focal 165 compoents plus a Kicker L5 sub with an SPL enclosure from my sierra to the X1. i miss it no doubt but performance and handling of the x1 makes up. The rest is up to you.

Last edited by GTO : 13th February 2012 at 13:43. Reason: Removing off-topic bits
Old 12th February 2012, 14:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

I am in the process of getting my cousin's Z4 ICE system upgraded. For this I am considering going with a solution from a company called 'Jehnert'. They are based out of Germany and manufacture complete doorboards for various high end marquees complete with all the electrical harnesses, fittings and high end speaker systems. It is my understanding that their product is accepted by BMW and does not void the warranty in any which way. I will provide an update on this thread once their Dilli based distributor responds to my enquiry.

Quote:
Indeed, I was told the same by the showroom sales person but wanted to check if anyone in the forum had some workaround. The car also does not come with parking sensors for the low and mid variant!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks