Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2012, 23:21   #1
rmk
BHPian

Reverse Camera or MapmyIndia touchscreen unit with cam support?

Hi all...

Im planning to install a rear view camera in my new i20. My parents will be using the car mostly and both of them have issues while reversing and parking. Now my doubt are,

1. Our dealer has quoted Rs 13K for a unit named Autocar (china i guess). The display unit looks cheap. I dont know of any other reputed brands available in the Rs 15K range. I invite your suggestions on this

2. The new mapmyindia touchscreen units come with rear cam support. They are also selling compatible rear camera units for Rs 2300. Aint it a better idea to buy a navigation unit (Rs 12000 for the one im considering) and install a rear cam to it, than to spend Rs 15K on some Chinese brand?? Does it work fine? Has anyone tried this???

thanks in advance.
Takecare
Old 16th February 2012, 00:28   #2
BHPian

Re: Reverse Camera or MapmyIndia touchsreen unit with cam support??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmk View Post
Hi all...

Im planning to install a rear view camera in my new i20.

Aint it a better idea to buy a navigation unit (Rs 12000 for the one im considering) and install a rear cam to it, than to spend Rs 15K on some Chinese brand??

Does it work fine? Has anyone tried this???

thanks in advance.
Takecare
You have answered your own question. Cost wise and quality wise, including aftersales service, the May my India setup is better for your parents/ you.

I have tried the same out in my i10 since i didn't want to go in for a separate setup for a reverse cam and gps. Its been working well till now with absolutely no issues, except that the Map my india PND needs a charger at all times, battery doesn't last more than 2 hrs without the charger. So incase of reversing either you'll have to plug in the charger or make sure the unit is always charged.

Hope this answers your query.
Old 16th February 2012, 00:38   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all...

1. Our dealer has quoted Rs 13K for a unit named Autocar (china i guess). The display unit looks cheap. I dont know of any other reputed brands available in the Rs 15K range. I invite your suggestions on this
Autocar?? Hormazd Sorabjee won't be very happy to read this. Stay away from it, for 15 k you'll easily get a branded unit.

Quote:

2. The new mapmyindia touchscreen units come with rear cam support. They are also selling compatible rear camera units for Rs 2300. Aint it a better idea to buy a navigation unit (Rs 12000 for the one im considering) and install a rear cam to it, than to spend Rs 15K on some Chinese brand?? Does it work fine? Has anyone tried this???

thanks in advance.
Takecare

MapMyIndia should be decent, however do have a have a look at Caska first. It is decent for its price, and I have seen a number of BHP-ians installing it in their cars. I am not really sure if Pioneer or Sony gives Navigation as a feature, but before you finalize anything do visit a couple of shops that fit accessories in cars. It'll give you an idea about the prices and will help you decide too. Overall, its either Caska or MapMyIndia
Old 16th February 2012, 07:07   #4
BHPian

I have MapMyIndia Navigation in my car.
Also bought a reverse camera and plugged it into the navigation.
It works well.
Plus,Navigator has bluetooth connectivity, so you can pair your phone. So answering calls or listening to music while driving is also possible.
Reverse camera alone may not be sufficient,because in bright daylight, one can hardly see a thing,so suggest you also keep a reverse sensor.
Old 16th February 2012, 19:20   #5
rmk
BHPian

Another option that im considering is the Necvox roofmount and connecting a rear cam. There are necvox roofmount units available for rs 7000 which has decent quality displays.
Old 16th February 2012, 19:45   #6
Team-BHP Support

If you are considering the MMI + Rear camera just because the only-rear-camera option is not worthwhile, why don't you consider other companies for the reverse camera.

I have Blackcat reverse sensors in my City and they work fine. You could check out the reverse camera from Blackcat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks