Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2012, 01:49   #1
BHPian

Need help deciding on a JVC Subwoofer and Amplifier

Guys need your kind help on ICE upgrade

I purchased a JVC HU few months back and it works great in my Santro Xing.

my Current Set up is
HU - JVC 526
Rear speakers - Blaupunkt oval 3 way, installed in Box
Front speakers Blaupunkt round 2/3 way (don't remember), in Dash on standard location of santro.

Now I want that Bass Thump, current setup gives Bass but still lacks that effect, I don't want boom boom effect of a bass tube so its out of questions.
All I want is tight bass at low volumes, don't want to sound like a "DJ on the move" but want extra bass to please my ears.

I don't plan to go for any very expensive stuff but recently I came across JVC new DRVN series Amplifier and sub.
Amplifier I wish to purchase is JVC KS-AX3102 its a bridgeable 2 Ch. Amp.
and sub JVC CS-G-1200 (30cm subwoofer, in a box)

please share your experience about these products, are they worth for my hatchback.

Has anyone here used these woofers, how's the performance or what are the other alternatives for Sub+AMP for 10k budget.
Old 19th March 2012, 10:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need help deciding on JVC Sub Woofer and Amplifier.

Buy a 4 channel amp Sony or Pio (~4-5K) and a JBL sub (~4K) in a sealed box (~1K). Use the front 2 channels to power the front 4" coaxes (you need to, otherwise you will have a rear-heavy sound stage), and bridge the other 2 channels to drive the sub. Keep the rear 6x9s on the HU.

* You will need to spend a bit more on wires & cables
* With a sub comes rattles, so you may need to damp the sides of the boot and the hatch
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 21:09   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Buy a 4 channel amp Sony or Pio (~4-5K) and a JBL sub (~4K) in a sealed box (~1K). Use the front 2 channels to power the front 4" coaxes (you need to, otherwise you will have a rear-heavy sound stage), and bridge the other 2 channels to drive the sub. Keep the rear 6x9s on the HU.

* You will need to spend a bit more on wires & cables
* With a sub comes rattles, so you may need to damp the sides of the boot and the hatch
Thanks for advice, I will check the availability in a day or two, however the friendly JVC guy who helped me decide the HU earlier, said it would be better if you go with JVC Sub.
Also Sealed box is a new thing for guys in my small town, so let me first ask him to get the box ready.

Being a newbie in such ICE upgrade, my only hope to save myself from buying a CRAP is team-bhp.

I think I might get it installed on coming friday but not sure about the brand.
Last option would be to get the wiring etc installed then try a couple of combination however I am not sure if listening and tuning in short session would help me bring out the clear picture.
Old 20th March 2012, 13:11   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
...said it would be better if you go with JVC Sub.
Also Sealed box is a new thing for guys in my small town, so let me first ask him to get the box ready..
A sealed box sub is about the easiest sub to design and get moderately right.

Before you buy the JVC sub at least hear a few other brands. Blaupunkt and JBL are well distributed so should be easy to find.
navin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 23:31   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
A sealed box sub is about the easiest sub to design and get moderately right.

Before you buy the JVC sub at least hear a few other brands. Blaupunkt and JBL are well distributed so should be easy to find.
Thanks navin ji, I went to the friendly shop again, and saw the JBL, the dealer admitted he sells more JBL subs than any other brand, however there's one more problem.

All the boxes available in the market were having the small round vent above the subwoofer space, the dealer was so surprised by my inclination towards sealed box that he took me the carpenter workshop where all the boxes were having that air vent(may be I am forgetting the exact name).

He said all he could do is get a new custom box made as per my requirement, as I need the sealed box suggested by experts here, can someone post the sizes required for a 12 inch JBL Subwoofer ?

I would get the box made possibly tomorrow then if needed I can use the sealant to seal it and get it installed on this weekend.

Can someone please help me with required box size for a sealed subwoofer box.

Edit: Got this link, but being a newbie I would do what Team-bhp ice addicts suggests.

Last edited by ghpk : 20th March 2012 at 23:35.
Old 21st March 2012, 09:40   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
the dealer was so surprised by my inclination towards sealed box that he took me the carpenter workshop where all the boxes were having that air vent(may be I am forgetting the exact name).
1. Sealed boxes produce tighter bass but....they are also less efficient and there is less BOOM-BOOM effect. That said a WELL designed ported box can produce good bass too.

2. JBL used to supply recomended sealed and ported box designs with their subwoofers. I dont know if they still do so. I am sure your dealer will know. A sealed box is just a sealed box. A ported box is the box you saw wiht a hole and a pipe stuck in the hole so one has to design not only the size of box but also the diameter and length of the pipe.

Dont buy a subwoofer just because it sells a lot. Buy it because it sounds good to you with your music. I suggested JBL and Blaupunkt becuase I know they are well distributed. Some smaller brands like Bull Audio are also good but they are not as well distributed so you might not have access to them.

if the dealer has a JBL sub in the ported box take a listen. The worst that can happen is that you wont like the bass. Take some cotton cloth and stuff the port and listen again.

Last edited by navin : 21st March 2012 at 09:55.
navin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 15:39   #7
BANNED

Re: Need help deciding on a JVC Subwoofer and Amplifier

For a santro I would recommend an 8/10 inch sub with a sealed box . The volume of the box is around .75 cft to 1 cft .

And pls do not buy a "readymade" box . Just go to the respective manufacturer site and download the dimensions of the box and get it done . Most of the readymade boxes are smaller in size . A better option for a santro would be an 8inch underseat sub . You can neatly tuck it under the front seats so that you do not waste boot space .
Old 21st March 2012, 16:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
... A better option for a santro would be an 8inch underseat sub . You can neatly tuck it under the front seats so that you do not waste boot space .
The last time I had looked under the front seat, there was a thin rod / thick wire going (solid) diagonally there. That would prevent any aspirations of putting an underseat sub!

Also, an 8" sub is no comparison to a 12" sub in going low. Good 6x9s mounted on a parcel tray give as much bass as the usual 8" sub. Good 8" subs, if they are available, cost the same as 12" subs.
Old 21st March 2012, 17:42   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
For a santro I would recommend an 8/10 inch sub with a sealed box . The volume of the box is around .75 cft to 1 cft .

And pls do not buy a "readymade" box . Just go to the respective manufacturer site and download the dimensions of the box and get it done . Most of the readymade boxes are smaller in size . A better option for a santro would be an 8inch underseat sub . You can neatly tuck it under the front seats so that you do not waste boot space .
Under seat is not an option, due to kids spilling water mostly.
secondly DerAlte is right about the wire under the santro seats which will prevent it from going correctly to center where back seat passengers would not step on it.

Quote:
The last time I had looked under the front seat, there was a thin rod / thick wire going (solid) diagonally there. That would prevent any aspirations of putting an underseat sub!

Also, an 8" sub is no comparison to a 12" sub in going low. Good 6x9s mounted on a parcel tray give as much bass as the usual 8" sub. Good 8" subs, if they are available, cost the same as 12" subs.
I got the specs from the box maker and his ported box is not attracting me, atleast being a D.I.Y. insect i would certainly not use his box which is made just by guesses and not by calculation.

his ported box is
Lenght 18 inches
Depth 13 inches
Height/Width 14 inches
made from 0.75 mdf board, but not used silicon or any other thing to make it TIGHT.
plus the port drilled above 12inch subwoofer is only as seen on most boxes, no pipe or based on any suggested specs.

I am going to his shop to get specs of the subwoofer now, and once I have those figures I will try to calculate and finalize the required dimensions tonight.

please keep the suggestions coming :-)
Old 21st March 2012, 18:57   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
an 8" sub is no comparison to a 12" sub in going low. Good 6x9s mounted on a parcel tray give as much bass as the usual 8" sub. Good 8" subs, if they are available, cost the same as 12" subs.
+1

I got myself a 10" sub when I was actually searching for 8" ; good that I did not find a 8" else I'd be kicking myself now.

redesigned the sealed box once to get the bass right.
Old 21st March 2012, 19:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lenght 18 inches
Depth 13 inches
Height/Width 14 inches
made from 0.75 mdf board, but not used silicon or any other thing to make it TIGHT. ...
Assuming that these are external dimensions, this corresponds to an internal volume of 2371.875 cu.in. or 1.37cft. This is OK for ported boxes for most sub specs to make loud boomy bass, especially without a pipe at the port.

I would rather go for a smaller box for sealed duty, say 1-1.1 cft. (Gurus, please give the desired internal volume for a JBL sub). The box would then be 15x12x14 (1771.875cu.in./1.03cft) or 15x13x14 (1940.625cu.in/1.12cft).

* You can ask them not to cut the hole, otherwise assemble the box as they were doing earlier

* For sealing, ask them to mix MDF sawdust with Fevicol, and press the mix along all the inside seams with their finger (I am sure they will understand this, and bless you till eternity for that knowledge )

* Account for bringing out the connecting cable through a sealed hole. Use a PA system connector (red+black) or similar - whatever you can get locally. Make sure you seal it well to the MDF
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 20:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Assuming that these are external dimensions, this corresponds to an internal volume of 2371.875 cu.in. or 1.37cft. This is OK for ported boxes for most sub specs to make loud boomy bass, especially without a pipe at the port.
It may fit for users who are not spoilt by experts of Team-BHP.

I would rather go for a smaller box for sealed duty, say 1-1.1 cft. (Gurus, please give the desired internal volume for a JBL sub). The box would then be 15x12x14 (1771.875cu.in./1.03cft) or 15x13x14 (1940.625cu.in/1.12cft).
Seems perfect, Waiting for someone with JBL details to provide the specs.

* You can ask them not to cut the hole, otherwise assemble the box as they were doing earlier

Yes the carpenter has agreed to modify an existing, or make a fresh one with in couple of hours once I confirm.

* For sealing, ask them to mix MDF sawdust with Fevicol, and press the mix along all the inside seams with their finger (I am sure they will understand this, and bless you till eternity for that knowledge )
Even I would bless you long enough for this expert tip.

* Account for bringing out the connecting cable through a sealed hole. Use a PA system connector (red+black) or similar - whatever you can get locally. Make sure you seal it well to the MDF
Yes they have the connectors, will double check on it for sealing.
Old 21st March 2012, 21:03   #13
BANNED

Quote:

Sorry , did not know abt the under seat rod . May be an installer in chennai would just cut it out .. hehe .
Polk and JBL do have a cost effective 8" inch sub . Most of the small hatches need the boot space and using a 12" sub really blocks the usable space . I wish manufacturers made 6" and 8" subs for under seat application . Probably I would use 2 subs under the front 2 seats .
Old 21st March 2012, 22:02   #14
BHPian

hi gurus,
need some help with my new innova, i've booked a new innova VX. the problem is that the O.E. system has a sub out but does not have a video out socket, but i want to mount 2 head rest monitors. i need a system that has that option as well as a stock look. also it should be able to accomodate the controls on the steering wheel. i'm willing to forgo the stock look if the system looks good. what should i go in for. the dealer tells me that for Rs. 30,000.00 they could add a kind of adaptor for a video out. but i refused as a few thousand more can get me a whole new system.what should i do?? confused.

Mods: sorry again place this where you feel is right.

Last edited by VANOS : 21st March 2012 at 22:05. Reason: accidentally wnt to quick reply.
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:33   #15
BHPian

I tried some combinations and I think sealed box which I should go with should be 1.033 cubic ft. one.
14.5"W x 14.5"H x 12.0"D = 1.03 cu ft Air Space Sealed

However one question arise in my mind, will the box still hold the subwoofer intact with 1-1.5 inch left on all four sides of subwoofer ?

Here's the calculation done from the website I mentioned earlier.
Need help deciding on a JVC Subwoofer and Amplifier-mdf_box.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks