Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2006, 14:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Do we need a EQ between HU and AMP

What do u people think about having a EQ between HU and AMP. I have seen mostly SQ system have a EQ in there setup. The EQ they use are very hi end and near 30-bands. So what do u people suggest Do we need a EQ or not.If u have one which make it is and which one would u prefer.

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 3rd April 2006 at 14:37.
Old 3rd April 2006, 14:39   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

The problem with an EQ is that unless set properly, it will only spoil the sound completely.
Personally i prefer no EQ and no bass or treble boost at all.
Old 3rd April 2006, 15:40   #3
Team-BHP Support

Outboard EQs are ugh. I have not found many that are clean. in most cases they do more harm than good. besides i dont know how those standard 10 band/1 octave EQs can possibly correct for room/cabin anamalies.
Old 3rd April 2006, 17:15   #4
BHPian

An EQ is definitely a no-no. Normally, it just becomes a source of creating noise when not configured properly.
Old 4th April 2006, 03:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

LBM

Again, as JB and I have told you... lose those EQs... They rarely help and only degrade your signal quality.

You are talking about competition grade mono EQs that sometimes cost more than $1000 per channel. While they were popular in old school installs, the current trend is moving away from EQ. A properly installed system needs evry little (if any) EQ. Usually your HU will have more EQ capability than you need.

Incidentally, all our systems run flat...
Old 4th April 2006, 10:21   #6
Team-BHP Support

I do see a case for a specific EQ (parametic) with a few channels (5) in some cases. Often to compensate for the odd locations drivrs are in (sub in the rear, left and right up front) etc... but before you EQ why not try out the system without EQ.

BTW gunbir, many nuts like me proposed no EQ in the 80s.
Old 4th April 2006, 13:03   #7
BHPian

EQ is a very powerful tool and very few people know how to use them properly. And there are very rare people who can handle a 30 Band Eq.

The quality of EQ is very important. And some of the decent EQs like Audiocontrol often cost more than the headunit. Good eq's help in tuning the overall response of the system by aligning the drivers and getting rid of peaks and dips.

I personally don't recommend the equalisers because people use them badly. They don't know that in tuning the systen only cut should be used not the boost. Here it is opposite people boost the lows and highs bands and cut the midrange bands...really weird.

And stay away from the low grade eq's available like raw power, bass warrior, twister etc etc.

Do the install right it is more poweful than any equaliser.
Old 4th April 2006, 13:41   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile
EQ is a very powerful tool and very few people know how to use them properly. And there are very rare people who can handle a 30 Band Eq...
You calling me rare? at my age I thought I was well done! :-)

We used to use Rane in the studio but today most studios have dumped EQ too.
Old 4th April 2006, 16:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, EQs suck unless you buy the best ones and they cost a bomb, and those are still plagued by the possibilities of mechanical wear and tear, and dust related problems etc. Better to invest in higher-grade car audio components anyday.

And like Gunbir pointed out, if you still want to be a tweaky soul, it's usually there in the head units.
Old 4th April 2006, 18:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

which make EQ all of u have used ? If u have used even once
Old 5th April 2006, 10:33   #11
Team-BHP Support

in the car i have never used EQ. in the studio Tascom and Rane. at home ADC 325X (remote EQ), Technics SH8065/66 (33band 1/3 octave) and a SAE parametric.

I used to pre EQ my tapes for the car. I found that using a bit of EQ and DBX on tape offered better NR than DolbyB/C and better tracking. then again my Denon heads were azimuth aligned to mate with my 7385/7284. The TD700 had auto azimuth alignment (but no auto reverse). Tape was Maxell MX stock (I still have about 20 of these in virgin condition).

Last edited by navin : 5th April 2006 at 10:35.
Old 5th April 2006, 19:12   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
which make EQ all of u have used ? If u have used even once
I have used McIntosh MEQ-452 parametric eq in car and also couple of eq's from TC Electronics

Last edited by Autophile : 5th April 2006 at 19:14.

Most Viewed