A red hot rapid install in a red hot (Skoda) Rapid-31.jpg  

A red hot rapid install in a red hot (Skoda) Rapid-33.jpg  

A red hot rapid install in a red hot (Skoda) Rapid-34.jpg  

A red hot rapid install in a red hot (Skoda) Rapid-35.jpg  

Samridh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 01:34   #17
BHPian

Re: A red hot rapid install in a red hot (Skoda) Rapid

During the course of the install accidentally the tweeters were fitted down-faced. This was soon noticed by Gunbir and the installer was instructed to mount the tweeter so that they fire on-axis. A pic of the down-facing tweeters is as under (the present positioning has already been detailed in the pictures on page 1):
Attached Thumbnails
A red hot rapid install in a red hot (Skoda) Rapid-24.jpg  

A red hot rapid install in a red hot (Skoda) Rapid-25.jpg  

A red hot rapid install in a red hot (Skoda) Rapid-26.jpg  

Samridh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 01:42   #18
BHPian

The Gladen subwoofers and the boot:
Attached Thumbnails
A red hot rapid install in a red hot (Skoda) Rapid-37.jpg  

A red hot rapid install in a red hot (Skoda) Rapid-38.jpg  

A red hot rapid install in a red hot (Skoda) Rapid-39.jpg  

A red hot rapid install in a red hot (Skoda) Rapid-40.jpg  

A red hot rapid install in a red hot (Skoda) Rapid-41.jpg  

A red hot rapid install in a red hot (Skoda) Rapid-42.jpg  

A red hot rapid install in a red hot (Skoda) Rapid-43.jpg  

A red hot rapid install in a red hot (Skoda) Rapid-44.jpg  

Samridh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 12:09   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samridh View Post
Some more pictures from the install:
Quote:
More pictures from the install:
One thing I noticed. There are some duplicate pictures (like the picture of the rear of the tweeter). Speaking of tweeters I noticed that the tweeters you are using do not have ferro fluid. Usually tweeters without ferro fluid have nicer transient response and a more airy feel to them.In a car however I fear that without the protection that ferro fluid offers they are more liable to damage if you turn the volume too high (to say compensate for road noise or passengers talking).
Old 11th May 2012, 12:23   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Speaking of tweeters I noticed that the tweeters you are using do not have ferro fluid. Usually tweeters without ferro fluid have nicer transient response and a more airy feel to them.
You are right Navin, the tweeters feel nice and airy. Re damage to them I have no first hand experience thus I don't have much to say. However, to suit my tastes the tweeters were adjusted to the softest state of tune from the crossovers. You know about alpines (as you have been using the 9887 for donkeys years now ), and assuming that the head unit volume indicator is something to go by, the maximum volumes that I attain do not exceed 25..... Really don't know if that can hurt the tweeter output.

P.S. Can you please delete the first two pictures from post number 14 (that is the car pics with number plates showing. Here's the link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ml#post2773586)
Old 11th May 2012, 23:08   #21
BHPian

Quote:
During the course of the install accidentally the tweeters were fitted down-faced. This was soon noticed by Gunbir and the installer was instructed to mount the tweeter so that they fire on-axis. A pic of the down-facing tweeters is as under (the present positioning has already been detailed in the pictures on page 1):
Samridh, please ignore my earlier questions, as these pictures answer them all. Just one more remaining. Doesn't the Rapid have a tweeter position IN the A-pillar? Any reason why you chose to mount the tweeter ON the a-pillar?
Old 11th May 2012, 23:31   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Samridh, please ignore my earlier questions, as these pictures answer them all. Just one more remaining. Doesn't the Rapid have a tweeter position IN the A-pillar? Any reason why you chose to mount the tweeter ON the a-pillar?
Good to know that the pictures answered your query. See I have the Active variant which does not have tweeter pods IN-built into the 'A' pillar. Thus, the only option was to either have custom pods built out of fiber glass or mount the tweeters ON the 'A' pillar. I chose option 2 for factors like ease of installation and to mitigate costs. You of course know the difference between on/off axis firing. Keeping in mind my listening tastes and the sound quality of the tweeter, on-axis firing was best suited and hence the present nature of the mount. Hope it helps
Old 11th May 2012, 23:46   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
One thing I noticed. There are some duplicate pictures (like the picture of the rear of the tweeter). Speaking of tweeters I noticed that the tweeters you are using do not have ferro fluid. Usually tweeters without ferro fluid have nicer transient response and a more airy feel to them.In a car however I fear that without the protection that ferro fluid offers they are more liable to damage if you turn the volume too high (to say compensate for road noise or passengers talking).
Simply put "I don like your setup", is what he wanted to say
Old 12th May 2012, 03:00   #24
BHPian

Awesome setup bro. congrats! I believe you mentioned this is a SQL setup. I'm trying to look for components and Subs for my car here in the U.S. Most of the car audio installs here go for the SPL rather than SQL. I've found it hard to source some good SQL speakers! yes I know people are going to bash me up saying you are in the U.S and you have a plethora of options. I live in a very small town and there aren't very good stores around here which sells these items. I have to buy it online and install them. Anyways enjoy your music and drive safe!

Cheers!
-Z
Old 12th May 2012, 11:48   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Affects View Post
Simply put "I don like your setup", is what he wanted to say
I never said that. Please dont mis-quote me.

I have used non freeo fluid tweeters for many years now and prefer them to equivalent tweeters with ferro fluid. I was just cautioning Samridh on the perils of not having ferro fluid.

Quote:
You are right Navin, the tweeters feel nice and airy.

You know about alpines (as you have been using the 9887 for donkeys years now ),

P.S. Can you please delete the first two pictures from post number 14
Samridh,

Yes I was only cautioning you. Ferro fluid disappates heat in the voice coil. Without ferro fluid we dont have this protection. Also some tweeters without ferro fluid have a large impedance peak at resonance. However the crossover is usually designed to notch this peak out.

Actually my first Alpines were the 7284 and 7385. The later did not have an power amplifier so required an external power amp.

Will fix the pictures. It is a nice install. The last pic in Post 15 is repeated on Post 16 right?

Last edited by navin : 12th May 2012 at 11:51.
Old 14th May 2012, 11:06   #26
BHPian

Well a big thank you to all those who liked/appreciated my setup. To the others, I would say, "I like it and that's what matters. No??"

I don't know what to tittle the suceeding portion, perhaps, "Listening Experience" is just fine. So here it goes-

Listening Experience:

The Rainbow Germaniums: The speakers are very nice in their own unique way. They are the clearest reproduction of orginal sound that I could afford in this price bracket. They completely suit my listening tastes. Be it remixes of 80's disco funk, or classics like stairway to heaven, they all sound great. The speakers are at their best when belting out punchy numbers with low to medium male vocals with tight and busy mids (an eg could be Puff Daddy's tribute to Notorious Big viz. "i'll be missing you"). If remixed reggae, remixed disco, R n' B, dubstep etc. is your taste, the speakers are more than reccomended.

The speakers never feel short of breath or shrill but singers like Gloria Gaynor (in "i will survive" - original cut/non-remixed) indicate when the speakers are not at home (this doesn't mean they perform poorly, its just that probably another set of speakers from a different brand could have 'probably' fitted the bill better). In other words, in songs where vocals dominate the show and there is no adulteration from bass, the airiness of the tweeters can add to vocals by opening them up further. This may not be what everyone prefers. I am not really sure on this one, but the extra-airiness might be due to the biamping. So subject to confirmation from the gurus, I think if you like anadulterated vocals or like to listen to vocal dominated songs, do not biamp the germaniums. But here I must also clarify that when a freind of mine (who is a music freak, a guitarist and a decent vocalist) heard "the gig in the sky" on my speakers. he just loved it. In other words, he contradicted me and said Clare Torry's vocals sounded amazingly good on my setup.

But one thing is certain, the components are very very good and do their job very very well. The tweeters are not at all bright and are very open and airy. On "FULL" volumes too, there is no evidence of shrilling or listening fatigue. As they are running-in, their tonality is making its journey from very good to excellent. I really like them!!

The Gladen M-15 subwoofers : Superb value for money. These sub-woofers are a great fit in setups which are SQ oriented. They are tight and gel amazingly well in the sound stage. At times, they are so well integrated with the front sound stage that its hard to tell what rests in the boot. They are not SPL subwoofers. But since I am running a pair of 15"ers, I hardly miss a beat/thump. They sound like a dicotheque on wheels and all passengers in my car get a lazyboy massage on their seats.

The Amplifiers: I am in love with the Mosconi sisters (the 120.4 and 240.2). They are amazingly nuetral in their sound. They have a lot of power and always have enough juice to keep the setup running at high volumes for long durations. The best part about them is unadulterated amplification. They do not seem to colour the sound at any level. After hearing them for some - considerable - time, I have started understanding the meaning of true reproduction. They are small amplifiers in size and their outward appearance is rather industrial. However, amplifiers are meant to be functional and utilitarian and not beauty props AND these Mosconi's are freakin' good at at what they do. I think they are the highlight of my setup and probably shall remain with me for years altogether.

The Alpine 117 : Frankly speaking, I like the sound signature of this head unit. Apart from that I haven't explored the parametric/equaliser settings of the HU. It plays my songs well and I like what it does. What is bad, is its slowness, folder-wise scrolling of an USB is a quite a downer. However, once there (in the desired folder etc.), the way it plays music is quite interesting. Its sound is milder than say a pioneer or a kenwood thus listening to music at higher volumes for longer is easier. They minimize listening fatigue. The HU is nice but not entirely value for money. P80RS I hear is better value for money. However, having no personal experience on this front, I shall remain silent .

Overall Rating : 8/10 (of course, relative to money expended).

Last edited by Samridh : 14th May 2012 at 11:07.
Old 14th May 2012, 11:36   #27
BHPian

Samridh

I must admit that your Rapid's ICE has turned out very well ! Congrats man !

Could you please share the cost details of all the items as well as the details of how you had sourced the Mosconi, Rainbow and Gladen?

These details would be useful for us while carrying out similar installs in our cars.

Cheers
Old 15th May 2012, 10:33   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild child View Post
Samridh

I must admit that your Rapid's ICE has turned out very well ! Congrats man !

Could you please share the cost details of all the items as well as the details of how you had sourced the Mosconi, Rainbow and Gladen?

These details would be useful for us while carrying out similar installs in our cars.

Cheers
Thanks Wild Child, it feels great to learn that you like the install. Re costs; I feel a tad worried in quoting prices on the open forum as this can easily cast a wrong impression in the minds of young readers. In other words, I liked what I got and with gods grace I could afford it. People can afford better. Whereas many others may not be very comfortable. Last thing I want is 18 year olds pestering their fathers to buy similarly priced stuff.

However, if you have any specific price queries, I shall be pleased to answer them on PM.

Re sourcing of these items: Apart from the Alpine HU, the components, subwoofers, amplifiers, wiring etc. was all part of of BBW Distributors' portfolio. In case you need any of his products and the same due to some reason are not available in your city, you may touch base with Gunbir/Jasdeep directly and they may arrange for these goods to be delivered. Let me know if you want their contact numbers or something. FYI, they have a facebook page too!!
Old 18th August 2013, 00:49   #29
BHPian

RCD 510 in Skoda Rapid ?

Hey there,
I'm getting the delivery of a Skoda Rapid TDI the coming Tuesday. The stock head unit is very basic which looks like this :

However I would love to integrate the RCD 510 in order to maintain the OE looks as well as the ability to integrate the optical parking system which I use extensively on the Superb.

Will the Rapid's canbus system support the RCD 510? I guess the connectors will be different, however the latest Vento comes with RCD 310 fitted which is interchangeable with the 510. Else, can the RCD510 be wired without the canbus at all (like the way regular after market HU's are wired) ? Has anybody tried anything like this ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks