Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2012, 11:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: In Dash Navigation vs Navigation Module vs Separate Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
With integrated systems:

- How does one transfer routes/waypoints which he/she must have planned on a PC?
- How does one transfer logs obtained from the drive back to the PC for analysis?
- How easy it is to update maps? ...
Same way as map updates - usually done with a via-media SD/microSD card. That is, the routes / waypoints file is first loaded onto the memory card, the card is inserted into the integrated system, and the file is transferred to the appropriate location. The reverse path works the same way - Unit -> SD -> PC.

You are right - simply connecting an external unit to a PC over USB makes it available as a 'drive', into which you can copy the file to / from directly.
Old 11th December 2012, 22:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

Sorry! for not being active so much as before.

Due to work everything took a back seat. And my second love, my cars turned to just commuter devices like most people, for the past 6 months.

So shortlisted 4490BT. Now to extend the queries to the Gurus.

1. Amps - a) to power the compos b)monoblock to power the woofer
2. Speakers 6x9 is a BIG NO. So have to settle for the round thingy at all the four doors.
3. Bass Tube/ readymade woofer box in boot. Removable, if i need the space. Powered ones is a big no.
4. may go for comps up front doors.

PS: How good is the Rockford Fosgate and its DSP. Or do i need an analogue equalizer.

Budget is moderate. Will definitely not spend on fancy compos and amps that cost 50k a pop.

Thanks!!

Last edited by SirAlec : 11th December 2012 at 22:45.
Old 28th June 2013, 15:25   #18
BHPian

I am contemplating replacing the stock 2 DIN HU on my Scorpio A/T with a new one integrated with Navigation. I googled down to Blaupunkt New York 800 as an option. Does anyone have a user experience with this unit. Is there any model from Pioneer which has in built Navigation capability (I am not too convinced about the AppRadio though).

If anyone has installed this in their Scorpio, feedback would be extremely helpful.

Also if there is a detailed review of the Blaupunkt New York, please guide me.
Old 9th July 2013, 13:53   #19
BHPian

Garmin HUD projects directions onto your windshield

Elevating navigation data into the driver's line of sight, Garmin's first-ever head-up display aims to reduce distraction, and it looks pretty cool.
iSpoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 09:52   #20
BHPian

After market AVN(in-dash navigation) options

While searching Team-bhp, I did not find any thread that had info about various options in after market AVN devices/ in dash navigation systems.

As per my info gathering, only following companies provide AVN devices :

1. Caska
2. Map my india
3. Blaupunkt (Not sure if it does in India)

Sony/JBL/Pioneer/Kenwood do not provide navigation in India?

Am I missing something, or actually these are the only options?
Also, the websites of Caska & blaupunkt are no good.

So, reviews about these AVN devices/models would be really good info for potential buyers like me.

Mods: I could not find a thread discussing the AVN options, please merge this thread if I missed one.
ank.nsit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 10:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Re: After market AVN(in-dash navigation) options

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Pioneer used to have add-on navigation modules in their previous AVH series, but they have removed those options in current versions.

A different thread exists discussing choices among different navigation types,

Navigation types.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 14:08   #22
BHPian

IMHO I think in-car navigation systems cost too much for what they do. I prefer the portable navigation devices which can be moved from vehicle to vehicle when needed and are also easier to update.
Old 9th December 2013, 15:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

1. Kenwood has it with DDX series with the add-on box KNA-G630 - Garmin. There is also the MMI box
2. JVC has it, though not in India. In India, one can add a MMI box
3. Pioneer has it in AVIC series (not available in India, I think). With other Pio 2DIN touchscreen receivers Pio has a navigation box, as does MMI
4. Ditto for Clarion and Sony
5. Blaupunkt has India maps

Any of the above has far better sound (even Sony) and interface than Caska, Motevo etc.

As such, these devices are still called 2DIN Head Units with Touchscreen, though people do call it 'system', 'stereo' or other such unflattering terms. Some have navigation built in, some just provide a 2way interface to a navigation box that is mounted hidden away inside the dash. The ones with built-in Navigation are also called "In Dash Navigation units" (usually by car manufacturers wanting to highlight "OE 2DIN Head Unit with built-in Navigation" - which is quite a mouthful).

"AVN" is just marketing word-play - not a standard universal term, and that is why there is no separate thread or review.
Old 9th December 2013, 17:32   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
While searching Team-bhp, I did not find any thread that had info about various options in after market AVN devices/ in dash navigation systems.

As per my info gathering, only following companies provide AVN devices :

1. Caska
2. Map my india
3. Blaupunkt (Not sure if it does in India)

Am I missing something, or actually these are the only options?
Also, the websites of Caska & blaupunkt are no good.

So, reviews about these AVN devices/models would be really good info for potential buyers like me.

Mods: I could not find a thread discussing the AVN options, please merge this thread if I missed one.
I was also in search of a reliable in-dash navigation system. Am not a big fan of a separate navigation & entertainment unit. Couldn't find anything in my budget. So I ended up purchasing a Sony XAV-601BT for 23K and I use mirrorlink from my Note 2 to the head unit. Now I have google maps navigation IN-DASH Touches on the head unit screen is transmitted to the phone, so the user experience is excellent. Also, the phone charges from the USB port, so no battery drain. I am satisfied

A demo video on the technology, Navigation demo at 2:50

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 9th December 2013 at 17:35.
bhp_maniac is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 12:53   #25

I would really opt for a separate unit for Navigation. I have never seen a HU with Navigation placed in an appropriate angle to view while driving. A separate unit can be placed and removed easily at many accessible location according to the drivers comfort.
Old 16th January 2014, 20:56   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpoke View Post
Garmin HUD projects directions onto your windshield

Elevating navigation data into the driver's line of sight, Garmin's first-ever head-up display aims to reduce distraction, and it looks pretty cool.
Any idea when this would be available in India. I am also looking for an In Dash navigation but do not want to plonk 40 big ones just for that.

This unit brilliant integrates the experience of an In Dash navigation unit without making a hole in your pocket.
Old 16th January 2014, 21:09   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been using Caska unit in my SX4. A detailed review here.

Very happy so far. The latest models have much better interface and reliability as well. I have sygic mmi on my phone as well but never needed to be used until 3 months. For latest POIs one need to keep updating the map SDC. when I don't find POIs in Caska/ MMI, I search them on google and use its lat/long on the in dash unit. Thats it!

My stock speakers are good for my need and so did not fiddle with it yet. But of course keenly reading what our gurus are suggesting
Old 20th January 2014, 22:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Ok Guys! I am sure this issue have not been discussed before as a single topic.
What is your take on this.

1. Double DIN HU with touch screen with navigation built in.

2. Double DIN HU with add on navigation Module.

3. Or leave the HU alone and use an independent navigation device like that from Garmin, Sat guide.

Gurus! please post detail options available. So it is useful to members.

Also this being ICE sub-forum, we can later discuss on the add-on like matching compos, Subs woofer to the selected HU so that we don't loose the first thing of having an ICE -Sound Quality.

Thanks.
I have opted for 2. The relevant components are Pioneer AVH-8490BT for HU and the MMI Navibox BX-200.
Having used this combination for a little over 1.5 years, I am satisfied with the choice.
  1. The clarity of the map on the HU is really good.
  2. The Navibox itself is secreted away in the glove box - where it's SD card can be accessed any time for trip logs, map updates etc.
  3. The HU touchscreen works perfectly with the Navibox - no tracking errors!
  4. Switching from Map to Music/Movies/Ipod and back needs a touch of the Mode button. Presto! It's done.
  5. Voice directions are clearly heard through the main speakers of the car. The Navibox program allows you to independently controls the voice volume , irrespective of the volume at which the main program (say music/movie) is playing.
Two gripes:
a) if you set the volume level on the Navibox to a relatively low level, so that you can hear the music a little louder, the additional speaker that came with the Navibox (and installed in the footwell) can still be heard! It's not necessarily a bad thing - I guess the Navibox does not want me to lose my way with it around! The only way to turn off all voice , is to hit the mute control on the interface.

b) Ever so often, when voice guidance comes on, that will interrupt whatever's playing through the main speakers, much to the chagrin of passengers. So imagine a set of youngsters watching Krishh, on a holiday drive, yelling at the poor driver, all because the voice guidance interrupted that one important scene to tell us to turn left!

Other than that, I am satisfied, and can happily recommend this combination to others!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks