Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2014, 14:47   #151
mxx
BHPian

Re: Garmin Nuvi 50LM Review (GPS Navigation)

does this device have an in-built compass, i.e. like the compass sensor found in smartphones?
Old 27th February 2014, 14:53   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
does this device have an in-built compass, i.e. like the compass sensor found in smartphones?
Not that I am aware of.
Old 14th May 2014, 12:43   #153
Senior - BHPian

Guys any revies on the Garmin - Nuvi - 42 LM ?
Old 14th May 2014, 15:03   #154
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Guys any revies on the Garmin - Nuvi - 42 LM ?
Except gfor the smaller screen afaik it is the same as the 50!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 17:10   #155
Senior - BHPian

I stay in Bangalore and have been using this device (42LM).

What dissappoints me that it even with latest maps, it doesn't have data on apartments.
For example, if i search Sobha Ruby Platinum or Sobha Aspire, nothing is returned in the results. Even Sobha Tumkur Road does not return any result.

Is it the way with these standalone devices, don't they have database on individual apartment names?
Old 8th August 2014, 18:55   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Hi guys,

I need your help in making up my mind in terms of which GPS to buy for my Storme please. I have been reading up and googling as well as gone through the threads on team bhp, but the confusion is still there.

I have decided against going with the MMI LX340 4.3" as well as the more basic MMI LX140WS 4.3" and decided to stick with either TomTom or Garmin even though their maps are currently not as good (lifetime free updates should eventually even that out - I think/hope).

Though the new MMI machines are better in feel and quality but the screen is not very responsive and I do not like the cluttered look of the 3D maps and graphics. The fonts too are too fine and the graphics not very clear and bright or attractive. The 3D look of the buildings etc. also to me at least does not seem to be so much of an USP as is made out by the sellers of the MMI. The interface though of the single line typing on top of all different components of the address (house no., lane, city, pin, etc.) instead of shifting from screen to screen is a plus. Unfortunately the TomTom does not have the same - do not know about the corresponding Garmins.

The TomTom machines look the best in terms of look and finish, and the screen resolution and clarity and brightness of the color is even the best. The new 2 position suction cup which is attached to the body is also pretty robust.

Garmin machine is much lighter (flimsier?) than the TomTom and the screen while more responsive, has a faded color greyish dull look of the graphics (like older generation mobile phones).

I have however read a lot of complaints about map updates and hardware issues and GPS lock issues for the TomTom including screen responsiveness, but nothing of the sort for the Garmin. Garmin is also supposed to be quicker, better responsive screen, and less cluttered more intuitive interface (important for a newbie like me). It also seems to have faster near instantaneous and better satellite lock, as well as more smooth scrolling and movement of maps across the screens without jerking.

I am looking to make a decision between

1) 4.3" vs 5" screen size

2) Garmin vs TomTom (MMI decided against for the reasons mentioned above)

The Garmin ones I am considering are the basic level new launches Nuvi 42LM and Nuvi 52LM (which replace the outgoing 40LM and 50LM). Difference 42 and 52 is just screen size. Don't know how they are different if at all from the older 40LM and 50LM.

The TomTom ones I am considering are the newer basic level Start 20 and Start 25 (which replace the outgoing Via series 100 and 125). Difference is just screen size between the Start 20 and 25. Don't know how they are different if at all from the older Via 100 and 125.

Price wise the 4.3" ones are 8.5-9K (including the MMI LX340 - the MMI LX140WS is the cheapest PND at just 6.5K) and the 5" ones are 9.5-10K. The Garmin is about 500 bucks more than the same corresponding screen size model of the TomTom. So both makes seem to be seen in the same ballpark.

Which machine is better - TomTom or Garmin?

Which is easier to use and has better less cluttered/multi-step more intuitive interface?

Whose maps are better as they stand right now?

Which has better more useful real life driving features, tools, options (route planning, via points, detours, options, etc.)?

Hoping someone can help me out of my dilemma please. Would really appreciate your expert advice and some detailed inputs from you on my doubts and queries please.
Hi Did you purchased the GPS for your Storme? If yes which one, can you share the same as I am also looking out for one for my Storme.
Old 8th August 2014, 19:01   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunit5 View Post
Hi Did you purchased the GPS for your Storme? If yes which one, can you share the same as I am also looking out for one for my Storme.
Yup, I bought the Garmin Nuvi 52LM. Except for a few wild goose chases in narrow bylanes of Goa late at night, its been pretty nice. "MrPeter"my kids have named "him".
Old 9th August 2014, 20:03   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Yup, I bought the Garmin Nuvi 52LM. Except for a few wild goose chases in narrow bylanes of Goa late at night, its been pretty nice. "MrPeter"my kids have named "him".
Did you buy NUVI52LM online or from distributor/Any other shop?
Old 9th August 2014, 21:03   #159
BANNED

Quote:
Yup, I bought the Garmin Nuvi 52LM. Except for a few wild goose chases in narrow bylanes of Goa late at night, its been pretty nice.
Globally GPS systems are poor in the extreme local environment. Even MMI are not 100% accurate.
Old 9th August 2014, 21:56   #160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Is it the way with these standalone devices, don't they have database on individual apartment names?
I would say never use these devices for the city. Phone and google are your best friends there. The device is really handy for the highway. Thats where its really helpful. (I know many like integrated devices, but I would still love a dedicated device for the road). And that is where the Garmin works very well.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 18:16   #161

Both me and my colleague got 42 LM given as a booking gift from our Car Lease firm. We have been trying to make use of it, like locating Landmarks/Building names through search. Not much success, and once it showed as if am navigating on a particular road, where as i was actually moving in a parallel road , separated by approximately 100m. This may be because when i searched for the route, it had plotted this route, but while on the move i took this parallel road. It had not re-routed and still showed as if i was moving along the original path.
Old 25th September 2014, 18:44   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would say never use these devices for the city. Phone and google are your best friends there. The device is really handy for the highway. Thats where its really helpful. (I know many like integrated devices, but I would still love a dedicated device for the road). And that is where the Garmin works very well.
I have a European model of Garmin, and using it successfully in India. The address finding in cities is a problem, because our address format varies a lot from place to place, unlike europe where it is house number, street, PIN.

But anyhow I need Garmin mostly navigating through the cities, the highways are already well marked. The trick I apply is to find coordinate through google instead searching for an address in India. Feed Coordinates to Garmin & move.

I do not like using the phone navigation, dedicated navi is more convenient to me while driving (personal preference).
Old 25th September 2014, 19:29   #163
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Globally GPS systems are poor in the extreme local environment. Even MMI are not 100% accurate.
I always use GPS information very carefully for local navigation. Local knowledge always beats the GPS. For example if you go to Etawah using AH1/NH2 and then try to move towards NH92 (to Gwalior). The GPS will try to guide you through the market. The reason is that the market is an SH, while the much better route through Civil Lines is all low end roads. The algorithm is to prefer a SH!

Also, on Garmin I found that the Indian Voices speaks NH as New Hampshire (like the US voice). On the other hand the UK voice will pronounce it as NH (the letters only). Take your pick.
Old 25th September 2014, 19:57   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunforu1 View Post
I have a European model of Garmin, and using it successfully in India. The address finding in cities is a problem, because our address format varies a lot from place to place, unlike europe where it is house number, street, ).

Just out of interest, that is not quite true. In the UK you might find that notation, but in Germany and the Netherlands you will have the street first and then the house number. Also the position of the postal code (PIN) varies between different European countries, some put it before, some after the city name. Also the notation of the postal code varies hugely. In the Netherlands its four digits with two letters no spaces, in the UK it could be two letters, one digit, space, one digit, two letter. Etc. etc.

So we might have one EU, and even one Eu parliament, even that last one resides in two different cities/countries, with different notations of the address. Also, less relevant for a GPS, but how you actually put an adress on a letter or envelop differs per country as well.

Jeroen
Old 25th September 2014, 20:27   #165
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunforu1 View Post
But anyhow I need Garmin mostly navigating through the cities, the highways are already well marked. The trick I apply is to find coordinate through google instead searching for an address in India. Feed Coordinates to Garmin & move.
I find address search on PND a pain. So my solution there search on the same map on my PC, look for the address, create the exact waypoint, transfer the point to the device and then navigate.

Quote:
I do not like using the phone navigation, dedicated navi is more convenient to me while driving (personal preference).
Same here. But I primarily never felt the need for a PND for the city. I mainly use it for the highway. Other than navigation it also keeps all the logs for the travel. Nice info to have!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks