Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2018, 11:57   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Garmin Nuvi 50LM Review (GPS Navigation)

I have an ancient Garmin unit which does not allow me to load pre-charted routes. Can someone please suggest a model which would allow me to do so?

Also, how good are Garmin maps? Anywhere close to Google maps in terms of details? I am currently using SatNav maps which leave a lot to be desired in terms of accuracy and detail.

Last edited by cool_dube : 27th May 2018 at 11:59.
Old 6th September 2018, 14:54   #272
BHPian

I also have an old Garmin unit , can we do something useful with it ? I find Google map on my smart phone a lot more handy and useful. I do not know what was I thinking when I bought the unit back in 2012.
I tried selling it on OLX and could not sell it as there are no buyers :-)
Old 7th September 2018, 12:07   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car FANATICUS View Post
I also have an old Garmin unit , can we do something useful with it ? I find Google map on my smart phone a lot more handy and useful. I do not know what was I thinking when I bought the unit back in 2012.
I tried selling it on OLX and could not sell it as there are no buyers :-)
I find my Garmin redundant, too. Perhaps you can use it as a standby. The Garmin links directly to satellites. The Google Map on your smartphone is good as long as you're connected to a network. Though you're unlikely to ever run off the grid, it's a good-to-have item as a standby.
Old 8th September 2018, 10:47   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

My Garmin experience has been less than ideal. The maps are a pain to update, the support from Garmin is poor. I am not sure how long this company will continue to do business in India. And dare I say MMI or Tomtom maps are way better.

And now Google Maps is all I need. If I head out to areas with patchy network coverage I just download that GMap section to my phone and that's all it takes. For road use I have an in-dash Pioneer navigation HU.

My Garmin 2565LM is just gathering dust.
Old 8th September 2018, 11:32   #275
BANNED

Garmin seem to have quit the Indian market. Now Google is king'. I do not find much joy in MMI either. So one can almost say that GPS as we knew it is dead.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 13:09   #276
Senior - BHPian

Some statistics from my Garmin. Bought it in oct 2015. Stats are for an almost 2.5 year period. The device was not being used for around 6 months. It was useful only twice for guidance as car was driven inside city only mostly for the said duration. Google maps was sufficient. I will be retiring the unit was I don't have much use for it except as show. It would eat into charging point space something which is needed for dashcams and mobiles.

Garmin Nuvi 50LM Review (GPS Navigation)-img_20180901_090508.jpg

Garmin Nuvi 50LM Review (GPS Navigation)-img_20180901_090502.jpg

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 8th September 2018 at 13:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks