Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2012, 16:35   #46
BHPian

Re: Garmin Nuvi 50LM Review (GPS Navigation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Garmin are not called the Mercedes of GPS for nothing. You should get it in India and this way get lifetime map upgrades included. They are very reliable and the maps are also good. I suggest you look at the Garmin India website and decide. I am quite happy with my 4.3" unit.
I thank you for your feedback. Could you please give me more specifics as a user. I have had a look at their web site and have identified the nuvi 2565LM. Please advise. Cannot find the prices anywhere either, have I missed something. Frankly I have no idea how these things work in Indian conditions as we do not have specific post codes for each unit. Finding your way with one, is it specific to one’s destination or is it extremely vague? All said and done is it a help on ones travels?
Old 31st October 2012, 18:08   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Thanks for confirming this Bazinga. So I can now pickup the 50LM/40LM since I am not so much interested in the other features offered by the higher end models except the ability to save routes. But I can live with that. Have you also tried to access the trip logs and import them to Google earth or other map applications?

Did you buy the device from a shop in Pune? If so, can you share the details of the retailer?
I bought it from a dealer in Pune.
Name: Skytrak
Survey No 185 Shop No 1 Shri Mahalaxmi Apt,
Bhagwat Hall Parvati Paytha, Parvati,
Pune - 411009

I got LM50 for Rs. 9500 (Rs 499 discount on the marked price). Do ask for bargain.
Bazinga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 18:59   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
Yes you can add multiple via points. its possible and works too
That's a relief !

Other things I wanted to know were:-

1. Whether it's possible to plan & mark out a route on, say, google maps ( or a similar interface provided by Garmin on the web/ a dedicated software on a CD etc.) and transfer the same to the Nuvi 40/50 LM via a data cable/any other means ?

2. If it isn't possible to do so in Nuvi 40/50 LM units then which units (from Garmin or any other manufacturer)support this feature (if at all)?

3. Is it possible in MapmyIndia/Satguide/Tomtom units?

Inputs from owners/those familiar with workings of GPS Personal Navigation Devices (of all brands) are welcome.

Thanks & Cheers!

Last edited by Ironhide : 31st October 2012 at 19:01. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 31st October 2012, 19:19   #49
BHPian

I own a Satguide PND. Its not possible to chart a route on the web and then transfer it to the PND. I am not sure what the use case is here. You could chart the route on the PND itself.
Old 31st October 2012, 19:21   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
That's a relief !

Other things I wanted to know were:-

1. Whether it's possible to plan & mark out a route on, say, google maps ( or a similar interface provided by Garmin on the web/ a dedicated software on a CD etc.) and transfer the same to the Nuvi 40/50 LM via a data cable/any other means ?

2. If it isn't possible to do so in Nuvi 40/50 LM units then which units (from Garmin or any other manufacturer)support this feature (if at all)?

3. Is it possible in MapmyIndia/Satguide/Tomtom units?

Inputs from owners/those familiar with workings of GPS Personal Navigation Devices (of all brands) are welcome.

Thanks & Cheers!
Mate one caution... Me has added only one via point at the moment (I think it allows only one). But have saved many favorites(POI - Points of interest as called by Garmin) as the destinations. You can quickly route from one point to other using the ROI option for routing.

For a big trip I save the POIs or FAVs before hand and just use the navigation to the locations using the favorite link (just a work around).

I am sorry if I misled you guys.

Also I haven't tried transferring the routes from comp to the navigator, should not be possible on this device as there is no ability to store routes. You can search on the device although.
Old 1st November 2012, 17:08   #51
BHPian

i just got garmin 2565LM from my friend with latest maps 2012.30. i was trying to search Pimple Saudagar (where i live) but i really couldn't find it. i was really disappointed. i can easily find my housing society on my android phone sygic mapmyindia app.
now i went to mapmyindia.com and i can find this area and my society in their maps on the website.
i was planning to buy a navigator for my car. now i am confused and really not satisfied with garmin and navteq maps.
i was planning to
Old 2nd November 2012, 00:19   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
i just got garmin 2565LM from my friend with latest maps 2012.30. i was trying to search Pimple Saudagar (where i live) but i really couldn't find it. i was really disappointed.....

now i am confused and really not satisfied with garmin and navteq maps.
i was planning to
Nicky, I have Nuvi 50 LM with me, I bought it in US few months back and now started using it in India after getting the maps. I must tell you that Nuvi 50LM that I have does not recognize the address/names of streets etc all the time except on those special lucky days. But I think I have found a solution. What I tried yesterday was "Co-ordinates" feature. That functionality allows you to enter the co-ordinates instead of putting all the energies to search for the City/Street/House No. crap

Having said that, I know some fellow BHPians may ask how to pull the Co-ordinates of a particular place. I tried my luck with beloved Google Maps but it really disappointed me. Net/Google search will give you some tricks and tweaks to do it using Google Maps but I found a simple and quick option.You can just search for the specific address on wikimapia.org and that search will give you the co-ordinates immediately. I have attached a snapshot (follow the red arrow) to show that. Try this now and let me know if you/any other fellow BHPian need any further guidelines on how to do it. And last but not least, my Garmin took me straight to the location without any hitch. Honestly speaking I didn't find it behaving very intelligent in India but in US, this GPS was a life-saver many a time. Though I am not an expert of the subject, but probably they don't have very detailed Maps for India yet.

Long live brotherhood,
Dharmesh
Attached Thumbnails
Garmin Nuvi 50LM Review (GPS Navigation)-coordinates.jpg  

Old 2nd November 2012, 08:38   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmeshmahajan View Post
Nicky, I have Nuvi 50 LM with me, I bought it in US few months back and now started using it in India after getting the maps. I must tell you that Nuvi 50LM that I have does not recognize the address/names of streets etc all the time except on those special lucky days. But I think I have found a solution. What I tried yesterday was "Co-ordinates" feature. That functionality allows you to enter the co-ordinates instead of putting all the energies to search for the City/Street/House No. crap

Having said that, I know some fellow BHPians may ask how to pull the Co-ordinates of a particular place. I tried my luck with beloved Google Maps but it really disappointed me. Net/Google search will give you some tricks and tweaks to do it using Google Maps but I found a simple and quick option.You can just search for the specific address on wikimapia.org and that search will give you the co-ordinates immediately. I have attached a snapshot (follow the red arrow) to show that. Try this now and let me know if you/any other fellow BHPian need any further guidelines on how to do it. And last but not least, my Garmin took me straight to the location without any hitch. Honestly speaking I didn't find it behaving very intelligent in India but in US, this GPS was a life-saver many a time. Though I am not an expert of the subject, but probably they don't have very detailed Maps for India yet.

Long live brotherhood,
Dharmesh
Thanks a lot for your support. yesterday i really got frustrated and went to local mobile market.
just saw Micromax A110 in white and loved it. paid the amount and voila!! i was owner of Micromax A110 in next 3 minutes.
just purchased sygic mapmyindia from play store and downloaded the maps.
my main aim to buy this mobile is to use it as navigator and games for my kiddo when not in use. 5'' screen is really good with 480x800 screen resolution.
will post review of it shortly.
Used the navigation on micromax today morning for home to office route and it was on par with my expectations.

Last edited by Nicky : 2nd November 2012 at 08:41.
Old 6th November 2012, 17:26   #54
BHPian

Where can we buy Nuvi 50Lm in Bangalore? Preferrably near Indiranagar, koramangala area?
Any idea if I can get some discounts on that? Junglee is selling this for Rs 9700/-

A quick reply is highly appreciated
Old 6th November 2012, 17:36   #55
Senior - BHPian

I have a noobie question.

1. Can we buy the GPS handset in Europe(Garmin/TomTom/Becker etc. etc.) and use the memory card with indian maps (to drive in India) or is it necessary to buy everything only in India?

2. What about the Updates?

Thanks in advance for your answers.ly in India?

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 6th November 2012 at 17:38.
Old 6th November 2012, 18:55   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmeshmahajan View Post
Nicky, I have Nuvi 50 LM with me, I bought it in US few months back and now started using it in India after getting the maps. ,
Dharmesh
How much you paid for the Garmin India specific maps and do they give free updates ? Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 08:17   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
Where can we buy Nuvi 50Lm in Bangalore? Preferrably near Indiranagar, koramangala area?
Any idea if I can get some discounts on that? Junglee is selling this for Rs 9700/-

A quick reply is highly appreciated
I just bought nuvi50LM online at SnapDeal.com for Rs 8,990 (Rs 1,000 discount on MRP). I found that to be the best deal online. The price includes free shipping by Blue Dart. I got delivery in 3 days.

My initial observation (based on just 5 km of driving and half an hour of offline examination) is that the maps cover most major roads in Jamshedpur and large number of POI. Street level addresses are not available for Jamshedpur and smaller roads / lanes are not listed.
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 14:44   #58
BHPian

Thanks debuda, i have ordered mine in Snapdeal for the same rate

Now the waiting starts :-)
Old 7th November 2012, 15:19   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Brutus View Post
I thank you for your feedback. Could you please give me more specifics as a user. I have had a look at their web site and have identified the nuvi 2565LM. Please advise. Cannot find the prices anywhere either, have I missed something. Frankly I have no idea how these things work in Indian conditions as we do not have specific post codes for each unit. Finding your way with one, is it specific to one’s destination or is it extremely vague? All said and done is it a help on ones travels?
I have a 2465LM. I think I got the prices from the Garmin. I do not find the prices any more, but then there are marketers like Flipkart, Vicky, etc who are selling the products.

Also, you can do what I did, look at Where to buy, and contact a distributor near you. I got mine from Delhi. Bank transfer and was shipped out the same day!
Old 8th November 2012, 00:23   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
How much you paid for the Garmin India specific maps and do they give free updates ? Thanks
Hi tj123, this weblink from Garmin itself will answer all your queries:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=65217&ra=true

Regards,
Dharmesh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks