Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2006, 12:48   #1
BHPian

The Nostalgia Thread - Tales of Middleschool DIY & Soldering Iron Burns

Note From Moderator - These posts have been split in to a new thread as they were very off-topic.
Originally from the Autopsyche Barracuda ICE Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn
im doin engg. and i didnt understand a single damn word ......spl,sq...blah blah....wow i think im gonna fal in my exams...lol

You will learn the very basics in engg and pure theory in BSc. It is up to you to do the extra reading. I was into DIY from 9th std and was ahead of the class in BSc along with another guy. We were both into DIY. Honestly,we both used to get bored in BSc class. While everyone was still learning what a diode is my friend and I were deciphering big amp schematics to see what an input differential pair is or darlington output stages. It was so much fun. I miss the electronics class.

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th April 2006 at 08:01.
Old 6th April 2006, 17:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345
all engineers here....thread becoming too complicated man!!
Me's a B.E. (Mechanical)
Old 6th April 2006, 23:51   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivekphadnis
You will learn the very basics in engg and pure theory in BSc. ... I miss the electronics class.
I sarted DIY in 1970-72 or somewhere then. I only remember i was in 4th grade. By the time I got to 10th+ grade I was designing amps with my father's friends and building all sorts of speakers. My father was an engineer and many of his friends were but since none of their sons were technically bent so they (all his friends) encouraged me instead.

However I went beyond audio and built a bike in 1981 in my room! Actually I took a bike apart (250cc Yezdi) and put it together in my room over a weekend just to freak my mom out.

Now you know why they (my parents) dispatched me to another country as soon as they could.

College was boring. Lab was fun after they realised that I was self sufficient.
Old 7th April 2006, 12:38   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

When it comes to all things technical, Navin is an institution. However he would have made a good cricketer, a bowler to be more precise.
He's a master at delivering bouncers and googlys.
Old 7th April 2006, 12:40   #5
Team-BHP Support

and Sam would be my coach!
Old 7th April 2006, 12:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

and team-bhp teh playground. Whers the ball now
Old 7th April 2006, 13:23   #7
BHPian

You got your first soldering iron 2 years after you started diy? I remember you telling us it was 1974.
Old 7th April 2006, 13:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

I used my fathers solder iron when I was in 6th class. And got first in soldering in my GEW in college
Old 7th April 2006, 20:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Wow! All put together I think we guys can start a reasonably enterprising audio company. With the exception that most people around here perhaps already have! hee hee
Old 7th April 2006, 23:32   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
I used my fathers solder iron when I was in 6th class. And got first in soldering in my GEW in college
LBM, at least you used the iron to do something useful. I ripped apart the Philips turntable my dad was using in 5th or 6th std. It had stopped working and my uncle was supposed to repair it. I decided to see what is inside and removed the bottom cover. I was fascinated by the mechanism and the coils and all that. Of course, that was the end of the TT and boy did I get a scolding. I wish I had not done it.
Old 7th April 2006, 23:47   #11
Team-BHP Support

My first memory was my dad had this old valve philips radio that stopped working. so i decided to open it. Now I was about 7 years old. Anyway I opened it and saw a big black thing that looked like it was caked in tar (it actallly was a potted tranny). assuming that this was the defective part I decided to attack it with the wrong end of the screwdriver and later using a hammer and the screwdriver as a chisel. finally i tired and went to sleep. next morning i woke before the rest of the house and you can well imagine my surprise when i turned on the radio and it worked. I was hooked. Never looked back. The list of things I have taken apart is alarming. Now that I got a son I am gonna hide anything I value.
Old 7th April 2006, 23:55   #12
Team-BHP Support

In 5th grade i made a little device using parts from one of those musical greeting cards, a washer(as a contact) and some thermocol (as a float) to act as a warning device when a bucket of water was almost about to overflow (no shower at our house in those days). It was for some school "crazy inventions" competition, but the judges never believed that i made it myself, and instead the guy who taped two markers together to make a cool writing device won the prize

cya
R

ps - got a huge burn from shaking off the solder from the hot iron onto my leg!
Old 8th April 2006, 00:29   #13
Team-BHP Support

Rehaan, i understand. many judges have no idea what the next gen is capable of. love the idea too.
Old 8th April 2006, 11:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

I used a cone made of paper and put one oil pin to the other end and with one hand i tured the record and with the other hand put the oil pin on the record surface and listed to the son Om om om shanti om shanti om.......
Old 8th April 2006, 12:23   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Eaargh,

It's the nostalgia thread!!! HELP!!!!! hahahahaha

I remember my first serious electrical shock. My professor made us hold a live wire for a second or two (with a resistance built in so we wouldnt have a cardiac arrest) so we would lose the fear of electricity.

My first clap switch. This was a clap on, clap off switch. NOT a warning for a sexually transmitted disease.

Oh i remember ruining everything in my house, opening it and never closing it back.
And those who use soldering irons, often smell them, to make sure that they are getting heated up. Once i was in a world of my own and burnt my nose completely. It was an ugly sight.
Oh those were the days my friends.... I thought they'd never end.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks