Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2013, 12:42   #16
BHPian

Re: ICE for 2008 VW Passat

@ exhaustpipe... My system has broken all the 6 CDs inside.

Model number in my car is RCD 500 MP3 (Panasonic).
Old 4th March 2013, 15:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Chief View Post
Hi,

Posted my query for the Guru's to answer but no reply so re-posting here.

Friends, I am having a problem with my OE HU as it is not accepting any CD's and it does not have a USB or any other aux support and I am left with just the Radio.

I am looking at swapping and upgrading the OE unit with a completely new one but am not sure cause the VW guys have scared me that if the wiring or HU is not done properly the electronics in the car will start acting up and they have themselves refused to touch it as the car is out of warranty (KSM Navi Mumbai) and to top it the VW PE system needs some sort of VW special tool to release the unit from the slot on both sides. The dealer says they can remove the unit but will not touch anything else and will send the unit to VW for repairs.

Also, would appreciate if there are any Passat owners who can recommend a good workshop for the Passat dealer or private anything is okay as I am paying through my pocket.

Cheers... I-Chief
Hi I-Chief,

I would strongly recommend against installing any aftermarket audio systems (or any after market accessories) as this can jeopardize the whole system. Your options are the RNS 310/510/810 systems or you could opt for something like Witson (which is fully compatible for VW).

I'm not sure of anyone in Mumbai, but can recommend Vagtune, in cochin. He may also travel to Mumbai to do the job for you.

I can PM his details if you're okay with this.
Old 4th March 2013, 18:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Hi I-Chief,

I would strongly recommend against installing any aftermarket audio systems (or any after market accessories) as this can jeopardize the whole system.
This is a common misconception that many people have, especially in India.
I have owned and driven an Audi a4 in the uk with a host of aftermarket accessories including amplifiers, sound processors, components speakers and a head unit change.
I had a friend here who recently purchased a BMW, but we weren't happy with the audio quality but he too was under the same misconception that you had that he should not install any aftermarket accessories.
The truth is if it is installed properly, no wire needs to be cut and/or spliced.
Most dealers usually try and convince the buyers that installing an aftermarket stereo will screw up the entire car. But this is bogus.
You can retain all remote functions by using an adapter/iso interchange harness.
but be advised, you should get it installed from a professional.

I would suggest Sound Factor at mira road
Rammie is a brilliant guy and very professional about these things.
his details can be found in the team bhp directory
HimuraKenshin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 09:29   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Hi I-Chief,

I would strongly recommend against installing any aftermarket audio systems (or any after market accessories) as this can jeopardize the whole system. Your options are the RNS 310/510/810 systems or you could opt for something like Witson (which is fully compatible for VW).

I'm not sure of anyone in Mumbai, but can recommend Vagtune, in cochin. He may also travel to Mumbai to do the job for you.

I can PM his details if you're okay with this.
I own a B6 myself and replaced the OE head unit to a single DIN SQ HU Pioneer P80RSII. There are so many products available which can integrate steering audio controls. its a PAC module and its plug and play. PM me and I can give you the details if you want to go that route. Else take used set from ebay and have the dealer program it for your car.

Check this product
http://enfigcarstereo.com/PAC_C2R_VW.html

P.S : I haven't read the complete thread but I am assuming you want to replace the HU with a non-OE HU which will need to work with the steering audio controls.
kiran1103 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 10:18   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Chief View Post
I am looking at swapping and upgrading the OE unit
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran1103 View Post
I own a B6 myself and replaced the OE head unit to a single DIN SQ HU Pioneer P80RSII.
I-Chief, Sorry for getting in late. However it seems that you have already solved your problem (with the help of Bass & Trouble).
Old 11th March 2013, 13:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
This is a common misconception that many people have, especially in India.

I would suggest Sound Factor at mira road
Rammie is a brilliant guy and very professional about these things.
his details can be found in the team bhp directory
Do you know anyone in Bangalore who can confidently do this?

Furthermore, I hear the systems in such premium cars are very sensitive to voltage fluctuations, earth leakages etc., how did you manage to tackle these? How did you also draw power for your amps, as amps consume a huge power!

@ kiran1103: Thats the PAC interface, which I'm aware of. The question is on how we can keep the aftermarket HU, amps & sub(s) operate without the internal systems getting affected. The aftermarket HU definitely draws power differently from the stock HU, so the difference would be detected by the BCM; how would you address this? Amps would also add load to the battery/alternator which would also be detected by the system.

When you switch "OFF" the system, the amps may discharge any stored current, which could harm the BCM or other control modules.

Finally, how would you still retain the warranty? Skoda, VW, BMW, Audi or any premium car brands would never allow after market accessories.

As systems in premium cars have to be CANBUS or equivalent compliant, where would you get such amps?

So its not just a matter of plug-n-play but a lot of nitty-gritties that needs to be addressed.

regards,

Nitin

Last edited by nitinbose : 11th March 2013 at 13:32.
Old 11th March 2013, 16:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you know anyone in Bangalore who can confidently do this? ...
Anwar (Top Gear) or Thouqeer (Auto Fusion) - both in Koramangala

Quote:
... Furthermore, I hear the systems in such premium cars are very sensitive to voltage fluctuations, earth leakages etc., how did you manage to tackle these? How did you also draw power for your amps, as amps consume a huge power! ...
Earth leakage? Sensitive to voltage fluctuations? Are you talking of systems in cars or at home?

And, to draw power, one just uses a thicker guage cable directly from battery, over a fuse, to the amplifier. Simple. That much should have been amply clear to you if you had read posts in the different sections of the ICE. Please do take time to do that - there is a lot of information here.

Quote:
... The aftermarket HU definitely draws power differently from the stock HU ...
Pray tell us, what would the difference be?

Quote:
... Amps would also add load to the battery/alternator which would also be detected by the system. ...
What does the system do then? Complain back to the manufacturer? Or change the excitation at the alternator to cope up with increased load? Average ICE (amplified, with sub) load is 120W @12V, roughly the same as that of the headlamps.

Quote:
... Finally, how would you still retain the warranty? Skoda, VW, BMW, Audi or any premium car brands would never allow after market accessories. ...
I presume the people who actually put after-market stuff in high end cars are also unafraid of eating street food in India - extremely high risk activity with no warranty from 'Manufacturer'! You buy a car, and you need *permittance* from the manufacturer to do some logical things done by 1000s of others?

Quote:
... As systems in premium cars have to be CANBUS or equivalent compliant, where would you get such amps? ...
The amps don't need nor have anything to do with CAN Bus. The integral display in the OE HU displaying cabin temperature and other such data does. That has nothing to do with HU functionality. Well, a few old high end cars implemented rear seat remote control over CAN bus, but that is not an issue here.
Old 11th March 2013, 23:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you know anyone in Bangalore who can confidently do this?

Furthermore, I hear the systems in such premium cars are very sensitive to voltage fluctuations, earth leakages etc., how did you manage to tackle these? How did you also draw power for your amps, as amps consume a huge power!

@ kiran1103: Thats the PAC interface, which I'm aware of. The question is on how we can keep the aftermarket HU, amps & sub(s) operate without the internal systems getting affected. The aftermarket HU definitely draws power differently from the stock HU, so the difference would be detected by the BCM; how would you address this? Amps would also add load to the battery/alternator which would also be detected by the system.

When you switch "OFF" the system, the amps may discharge any stored current, which could harm the BCM or other control modules.

Finally, how would you still retain the warranty? Skoda, VW, BMW, Audi or any premium car brands would never allow after market accessories.

As systems in premium cars have to be CANBUS or equivalent compliant, where would you get such amps?

So its not just a matter of plug-n-play but a lot of nitty-gritties that needs to be addressed.

regards,

Nitin
Laura /Superbs are not very difficult cars to ice there are vw skoda audi's running in India on processor or with swapped headunits or cheaper means of oem integration, most of the comments are based without any hands on experience working on these cars, their hu's can easily be integrated with aftermarket peripherals,In terms of Ice setup its just another car which gives you more scope and space to have a good sounding setup.

Ramie

Last edited by ramie2400 : 11th March 2013 at 23:07.
Old 12th March 2013, 08:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Anwar (Top Gear) or Thouqeer (Auto Fusion) - both in Koramangala

Earth leakage? Sensitive to voltage fluctuations? Are you talking of systems in cars or at home?
What would happen to the power stored in the capacitors within the amps, it would have to definitely discharge. Because such cars have lots of electronics in them, such discharges can cause damage to some of the modules.

Quote:
I presume the people who actually put after-market stuff in high end cars are also unafraid of eating street food in India - extremely high risk activity with no warranty from 'Manufacturer'! You buy a car, and you need *permittance* from the manufacturer to do some logical things done by 1000s of others?
That's exactly what the manufacturers quote! You should not install anything aftermarket as that would fall under "unauthorized accessories" and would be considered as tampering, voiding the warranty. Please do go through my thread mentioned below. Technically, you're right and I feel the same. Its like you bought the car but have to use it after the manufacturers terms and conditions, just like parents controlling their kids when they buy them a car! Such is the nature of Skoda, VW, BMW & Audi in this country!

Quote:
The amps don't need nor have anything to do with CAN Bus. The integral display in the OE HU displaying cabin temperature and other such data does. That has nothing to do with HU functionality. Well, a few old high end cars implemented rear seat remote control over CAN bus, but that is not an issue here.
Yes, they do. When you speed up the car, the volume increases accordingly, which is controlled by the amp. Powering the unit ON and OFF is also done by CANBUS. The HU is connected to the stock amp. The volume is controlled through the amp and not directly from the HU. If you tap the outputs of the HU you'll notice the HU sends full output. Further, the HU and the amp do have CAN+ and CAN- which are for CANBUS control

I had installed HU, amps and sub in my laura through the people you'd mentioned but it appears the car system was not very happy and resulted in my BCM module getting damaged and Skoda considered it as warranty void.

The following are my threads on those:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...laura-l-k.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...y-support.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...ne-cochin.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
Laura /Superbs are not very difficult cars to ice there are vw skoda audi's running in India on processor or with swapped headunits or cheaper means of oem integration, most of the comments are based without any hands on experience working on these cars, their hu's can easily be integrated with aftermarket peripherals,In terms of Ice setup its just another car which gives you more scope and space to have a good sounding setup.

Ramie
Hi Ramie, I spoke to you yesterday and also sent you my ICE details, now hoping to receive a confidence inspiring response.

Last edited by nitinbose : 12th March 2013 at 08:31.
Old 12th March 2013, 14:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... such discharges can cause damage to some of the modules. ...
Sure, as much as zombies can rise one night and take over cities. Perhaps it will help understand the subject if you study some basic electronics.

Quote:
... That's exactly what the manufacturers quote! ... Such is the nature of Skoda, VW, BMW & Audi in this country! ...
As is that of Maruti, Hyundai, Fiat or just about any other car company. You are treating the subject very simplistically, and ignoring the logic behind doing it or not doing it. Just like children whose parents have bought them cars, as you say, want to be independent but are scared of articulating it in front of their parents.

Quote:
... Yes, they do. ... which are for CANBUS control ...
The OE HU-cum-integral-display needs CAN, the amp doesn't. Volume is controlled at the 'mixer' in the HU, not at the amp.

Quote:
... I had installed HU, amps and sub in my laura through the people you'd mentioned but it appears the car system was not very happy and resulted in my BCM module getting damaged and Skoda considered it as warranty void. ...
Skoda pulled a fast one on you, you didn't know anything about the logic of systems in cars, and you agreed. Skoda was wrong, you were even more wrong. No comments, only commiserations.

BCM module cannot be damaged by you doing ANYTHING other than shorting outputs meant to drive relays. And nothing in ICE installation / modification can do that. That is the advantage of standardization of sub-systems in a car. It is not rocket science.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks