Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2013, 21:05   #16
BHPian

HELP: ICE Setup for New Ford Figo LXi 1.2 Petrol!

[MODS: THIS THREAD IS ON BEHALF OF MY FRIEND, WHO IS WILLING TO BE A MEMBER HERE. IF POSTING SUCH THREADS IS IRRELEVANT, FEEL FREE TO DELETE/MERGE THIS THREAD.]

Hello TBHPians and ICE Gurus esp.!
My friend is planning to buy a New Ford Figo LXi Petrol and wants to add accessories, he will miss in going for base variant, later from after-market.
His budget is 5,00,000 INR for the ENTIRE Purchase (INCLUDING CAR AND ADD-ONS). Out of this 5 Lacs, he has made following list:
1. Ford Figo LXi 1.2 (Rs. 450000)
2. Seat covers, Floor Mats, Mud flaps, Car Cover, etc (Rs. 10000)
3. Power Windows (All 4 doors) (Rs. 15000)
4. Central locking (Rs. 5000)
5. ICE (Rs. 20000)

Thus, his budget for ICE is 20k. His car will not come with factory fitted HU, neither he wants one (Cost: 18k at Ford) for his car.
His requirements are:
1. A Double-DIN HU from a trusted brand (Touch-screen, although not possible, would be welcome!)
2. A 4 speaker (Co-axials or Comps or whatever) unit (2 at front and 2 at back; however, more speakers are welcome)
3. Wiring (He is quoted 2k for Monster cables)

Removing wiring from the list, we are left with 18k budget!

Imp. points:
- No amplifier needed
- No subwoofer needed
- Touchscreen is not that important
- He listens to low and mid tones and likes boomy bass rather than punchy bass
- He will often be 'Loud', so distortions should be minimal
- He is happy with a 4 speaker setup, but more speakers would be welcome if under budget
- Budget maybe increased to 20k from 18k if the product is worth it
- ICE will be fitted at an After market shop, NOT at Ford
- He listen to mainly Punjabi music and he wants CLEAR sound
- He wants the rear speakers on the parcel tray. No compromise with the boot space!

Please advice the Brand and Model numbers of the products and also post the prices, if possible.
I hope you will come up with answers!
Waiting for the suggestions!
Old 17th April 2013, 21:13   #17
BHPian

Re: HELP: ICE Setup for New Ford Figo LXi 1.2 Petrol!

Hey,

A friend recently ICE'd his swift. Im writing the same set:
HU: JVC KW R 400, basic Double Din unit; Around Rs 8K
Front Components: Rockford Fosgate Prime Series, Around Rs 7.5 k
Rear: Rockford Fosgate Prime Series Coaxials Around Rs 4.5 k

The sound output from the system was amazing, especially the high pitch vocals.

Hope this helps,
Tapish
Tapish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 21:24   #18
BHPian

@Tapish: Thanks for the lightening fast reply, buddy!
The setup sounds okay to me as well as my friend. I have confirmed that he likes the setup. He has 2 Qs:
1. Can you elaborate about front components? What all parts are there ('Tweeter' thingy!)?
2. Will the rear coaxials come with a grill or it will have to be purhased independently?
3. Pics would be appreciated (of the HU esp.).

Thanks a lot!
Old 17th April 2013, 23:42   #19
BHPian

First things first, I am no audiophile but as gurus would tell you, ALWAYS trust your ears!

I would suggest your friend to stick to a decent single din HU, as 2 DINs without a touch screen make no sense, other than just looking better to some!
So
1. Single DIN HU from Pioneer or JVC or Kenwood- 6k

2. Front Components- 8-10k. Look for the new Infinity Kappa 60.11. Very new in the market, and seems very promising! Though the earlier kappa tweeters were bright. Another option could be, if you can source one, Morel Maxximmo comps, superb set very decent bass and neutral sounding tweeters. Focal Access series components would have been my choice but Focals demand an amp and no boomy bass.
These were just my suggestions, almost all brands including Focal, RF, Hertz, Alpine, JBL, Infinity, now Ground Zero too, have budget components, so audition and decide. DLS is another good brand to look for (C6a should fit your budget).

3. Rear fill- 4-5k. I prefer a similar sized co-axial from the same brand and same series as the front components, so that you don't get two different sound signatures in front and rear. What I have noticed is the rear speakers are very close to the driver's ear, so they are as important as the front stage!

I don't know if it would be suitable to your friend, but if I were you, I would buy a decent HU and grab those Focal PS165 components for around 14k and skip on the rears for now! An addition can always be made later!

Last edited by 599gto : 17th April 2013 at 23:52.
Old 18th April 2013, 07:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud View Post
Power Windows (All 4 doors) (Rs. 15000)
Since your friend is on a highly restricted budget, he'd be better off spending that money on a good quality ICE setup.

IMO, 20K is way too low for a descent setup. If he could spend that extra 15K too on the ICE set up, he can get a very good setup.

Moreover, I highly doubt if there is any aftermarket power window kit for the rear windows of the Figo. And even if there is one, fitting it on the rear window will only do more harm than good.

My two cents!

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 18th April 2013 at 07:37.
Old 18th April 2013, 13:59   #21
BHPian

This should give you some pointers (its almost 5 years old). May be, it should give you some ideas on how to go about choosing.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...k-25k-30k.html
anToNIcHeN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 15:38   #22
BHPian

Re: Inputs needed on my planned ICE Setup for Figo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
First things first, I am no audiophile but as gurus would tell you, ALWAYS trust your ears!

I would suggest your friend to stick to a decent single din HU, as 2 DINs without a touch screen make no sense, other than just looking better to some!
So
1. Single DIN HU from Pioneer or JVC or Kenwood- 6k

2. Front Components- 8-10k. Look for the new Infinity Kappa 60.11. Very new in the market, and seems very promising! Though the earlier kappa tweeters were bright. Another option could be, if you can source one, Morel Maxximmo comps, superb set very decent bass and neutral sounding tweeters. Focal Access series components would have been my choice but Focals demand an amp and no boomy bass.
These were just my suggestions, almost all brands including Focal, RF, Hertz, Alpine, JBL, Infinity, now Ground Zero too, have budget components, so audition and decide. DLS is another good brand to look for (C6a should fit your budget).

3. Rear fill- 4-5k. I prefer a similar sized co-axial from the same brand and same series as the front components, so that you don't get two different sound signatures in front and rear. What I have noticed is the rear speakers are very close to the driver's ear, so they are as important as the front stage!

I don't know if it would be suitable to your friend, but if I were you, I would buy a decent HU and grab those Focal PS165 components for around 14k and skip on the rears for now! An addition can always be made later!
Thanks 599Gto. My friend is interested in looks and was willing to spend 2-3k extra for the Double DIN unit. So, No single DINs. BTW he was impressed with the JVC KW R400, suggested by Tapish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Since your friend is on a highly restricted budget, he'd be better off spending that money on a good quality ICE setup.

IMO, 20K is way too low for a descent setup. If he could spend that extra 15K too on the ICE set up, he can get a very good setup.

Moreover, I highly doubt if there is any aftermarket power window kit for the rear windows of the Figo. And even if there is one, fitting it on the rear window will only do more harm than good.

My two cents!
Thanks WWW! (War With Wheels) I think he may have to change the car itself to Beat, WagonR, Eon, etc. since he is VERY VERY keen on getting all 4 power windows (fed up by his M800's manual windows). However, suggestions are still welcome and he/we will find some Jugaad to plonk in rear power window switches, if possible. He thinks that 10k (removing the 8k HU and 2k wiring) is enough for 4 speakers.
For rear ones, he is thinking for Pioneer TSA932. The sound quality was not that great but does the job pretty well below Vol. 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post
This should give you some pointers (its almost 5 years old). May be, it should give you some ideas on how to go about choosing.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...k-25k-30k.html
Thanks anToNicHeN for the link. I don't know how I missed it while searching.
Old 18th April 2013, 16:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... BTW he was impressed with the JVC KW R400, ...
Impressed by reading about it? Or by actually seeing it function and looking at the facilities?

Quote:
... For rear ones, he is thinking for Pioneer TSA932. The sound quality was not that great but does the job pretty well below Vol. 20. ...
That's funny - why would he buy something that doesn't sound great? Low price? Wouldn't that be money down the drain?

Ask him to go around and check prices of other 6x9 ovals. JBL, Infinity, Bull, Polk, etc. cost just about the same as that Pio - and sound far better.
Old 18th April 2013, 17:16   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Impressed by reading about it? Or by actually seeing it function and looking at the facilities?.
Nope. He saw the specifications and features in the JVC website. He thinks it to be enough for his requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
That's funny - why would he buy something that doesn't sound great? Low price? Wouldn't that be money down the drain?

Ask him to go around and check prices of other 6x9 ovals. JBL, Infinity, Bull, Polk, etc. cost just about the same as that Pio - and sound far better.
I said 'It does the job pretty well', my friend. The quality was okay type, not great. Our friend has Pioneer TSA932 installed in his Alto. The only problem was the wierd sounds from the speakers at volumes above 20 in Sony GTX270S HU. I think the sounds were due to improper fit of the speakers.

Yes, they are cheap. The friend (who has an Alto) got the below setup for 10k:
- Sony GTX270S Xplod HU with Aux-in (No USB)
- Pioneer TSA932 Rear
- Enclosures for the rear speakers
- Front 4" speakers from Nippon (at MGA)

Actually, he is going to aftermarket shops for getting the fitment. Most of the shop owners give that unusual stare when we say 'Polk, Clarion, Blaupunkt'. They only know 'Sony, JBL, Pioneer, Alpine'!
BTW He is visiting a shop this evening for a quote of the prices of different setups. Will update soon.

OT: He cancelled the Figo booking done last week and is looking at other options! Can I open a thread for this also?

Last edited by Loud : 18th April 2013 at 17:20.
Old 18th April 2013, 17:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope. He saw the specifications and features in the JVC website. He thinks it to be enough for his requirements.
I am sure he doesn't buy a TV or laptop like that!

Quote:
... wierd sounds from the speakers at volumes above 20 in Sony GTX270S HU. I think the sounds were due to improper fit of the speakers. ...
'It does the job pretty well' doesn't match "quality was okay type, not great" That is a nice way of justifying bad quality and low cost to oneself because it is cheap.

The weird sounds above volume 20 is distortion produced by the HU internal amp.

Quote:
... Most of the shop owners give that unusual stare when we say 'Polk, Clarion, Blaupunkt'. They only know 'Sony, JBL, Pioneer, Alpine'! ...
I know, but that's because you are looking at your own convenience to go to neighborhood shop selling 'popular' stuff, not places where they know audio systems properly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks