Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2012, 01:58   #16
BHPian

re: Punto 90HP ICE upgrade with PHD, DLS and JBL. EDIT: Upgraded HU to Clarion CZ703A

The installation seems to be an interesting one. However good the sound is, there should be a marked improvement if you decide to install an aftermarket HU. Heard that the Punto stock HU is one the worst ones around. In fact, the place I got the OE speakers replaced suggested me to move a step down for the rear speakers and go for a basic after-market HU. Have a set-up of Polk on the front and the rear with a Sony Amplifier. Produces decent sound.

With Fiat A.S.S deciding to use two molecules of Hydrogen and one of Oxygen to clean the HU of my car, I have no option but to move to a aftermarket HU. Remember seeing a picture of it in a Punto on this forum. Any pointers on do's and dont's and which brand to go for a budget of 10K?
Old 14th June 2012, 10:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Punto 90HP ICE upgrade with PHD, DLS and JBL. EDIT: Upgraded HU to Clarion CZ703A

Congrats Crazy driver on the nice clean setup. This post couldnt have come at a better time for me . I am planning an ICE upgrade for my Figo and want to retain the existing HU. Does the Fiat OEM HU have a RCA out for the amp or did you use hi-lo converter? hows the 8inch sub? even I am fan of clean punchy bass and not boomy. How would you rate it for rock music? I am considering the same one for my car as well due to similar constraints on not compromising boot space.

My queries for the ICE setup are posted at link below. Will be great if you provide you inputs.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...etup-figo.html
Old 14th June 2012, 11:01   #18
BHPian

Cracking setup mate. Am sure your Punto rocks harder now.
Some italian goodies for your italian ride. When i upgraded my Linea I had to retain the OEM HU as well. Didn't want to lose the B&M functionality and due to the warranty issue.

47K is pretty affordable for the goodies you chose.
Old 14th June 2012, 21:23   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concorde View Post
The installation seems to be an interesting one. However good the sound is, there should be a marked improvement if you decide to install an aftermarket HU. Heard that the Punto stock HU is one the worst ones around. In fact, the place I got the OE speakers replaced suggested me to move a step down for the rear speakers and go for a basic after-market HU. Have a set-up of Polk on the front and the rear with a Sony Amplifier. Produces decent sound.

With Fiat A.S.S deciding to use two molecules of Hydrogen and one of Oxygen to clean the HU of my car, I have no option but to move to a aftermarket HU. Remember seeing a picture of it in a Punto on this forum. Any pointers on do's and dont's and which brand to go for a budget of 10K?
Yes, Punto stock HU is definitly one of the worst around. I was shocked to see that one of the cheapest HUs in the kenwood line-up sounded almost as good, or may be even better - without an amp!

There will definitly be a marked improvement once you change the HU.

Regarding HUs - I am yet to properly read on the topic - but alpine and JVC seems to be the most common choice in team-bhp. But what about the steering mounted controls? Are you planning on purchasing the Connects2 interface?
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Congrats Crazy driver on the nice clean setup. This post couldnt have come at a better time for me . I am planning an ICE upgrade for my Figo and want to retain the existing HU. Does the Fiat OEM HU have a RCA out for the amp or did you use hi-lo converter? hows the 8inch sub? even I am fan of clean punchy bass and not boomy. How would you rate it for rock music? I am considering the same one for my car as well due to similar constraints on not compromising boot space.

My queries for the ICE setup are posted at link below. Will be great if you provide you inputs.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...etup-figo.html
No. It did not have RCA output.

Hi-Lo convertor is also not needed since amps like DLS XProgram and Focal Solid4 can take speaker level inputs. DLS XProgram even has auto-turn off based on the speaker level input. I heard somewhere that Solid4 can do the same, but not too sure about it.

How essential is a sub for rock-music? Tastes differ from person to person - but for rock music - I think components speakers that are good on mid-bass will do the job just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
Cracking setup mate. Am sure your Punto rocks harder now.
Some italian goodies for your italian ride. When i upgraded my Linea I had to retain the OEM HU as well. Didn't want to lose the B&M functionality and due to the warranty issue.

47K is pretty affordable for the goodies you chose.
Thank you! Warranty is truly a big downer! I might change the HU once the main warranty expires though.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 19:33   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Regarding HUs - I am yet to properly read on the topic - but alpine and JVC seems to be the most common choice in team-bhp. But what about the steering mounted controls? Are you planning on purchasing the Connects2 interface?
Good to know I am on the right track. Have shortlisted Alpine 121 and JVC 526 (not sure of the model number). I prefer the steering without any buttons. In my Punto, I am looking for two changes right now . One is an Aux port which the new HU will ensure and getting the GC raised which I manage to forget every time!
Old 19th June 2012, 17:44   #21
BHPian

Good to to know that you have chosen to fit the sub in tight enclosure in the boot. I wonder what are the alternatives if someone wants a sub without consuming so much space. Is tray OR under-front seat a feasible alternative ?
Old 30th June 2012, 18:46   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neosmart View Post
Good to to know that you have chosen to fit the sub in tight enclosure in the boot. I wonder what are the alternatives if someone wants a sub without consuming so much space. Is tray OR under-front seat a feasible alternative ?
I'm sorry for the late reply. Didn't notice that this thread was updated.

I dont think a tray/ underseat is possible for the sub. But another suggestion is to make a custom fibreglass enclosure into some areas of the boot- Like above the protuding rear wheel wells (Which cannot be used as a luggage space anyway!). Should help you maximise the space utilisation.
Old 23rd January 2013, 17:46   #23
BHPian

Couple of months back I had got the front door speakers replaced by Blaupunkt Components, with their respective crossovers. These crossovers, which were installed in the door, are creating a racket and have reduced the solidity of the doors to zilch. As a result, I get a double sound when the doors are closed.

CrazyDriver: I do not see the exact snap of crossovers installation or their location in the your thread. Could you help me in showing where you got yours installed? Are they giving any issues post installation?
Old 25th January 2013, 15:10   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

@CD. Wanted to know the cost of the PHD components and the DLS X Program XA-40 4 channel amplifier. I am planning to upgrade the ICE on my Linea, but retaining the crappy head unit.
Old 25th January 2013, 15:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremjitS View Post
... crossovers, which were installed in the door, are creating a racket ...
Forgetful installer, I guess. Have them open the doorpad again, and this time use plastic tie straps to anchor them securely - there are plenty of holes that can be used for doing that. And, while doing that, apply some white petroleum jelly on the exposed terminals, and finally enclose the crossover in plastic zip bags. Door cavities are usually high humidity areas.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 15:45   #26
BHPian

Hmm..seems logical. Thanks

One question: if I do not have any amp installed yet, do I still need the crossovers for the front components? I am planning to get the rear door factory speakers replaced too. Any good suggestions around 5k range and if these are rated higher than the front components, then should these new speakers be installed in the rear or switch to front?

I do not have technical knowledge on ICE' s, so any insight would be helpful.
Old 25th January 2013, 17:00   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Forgetful installer, I guess. Have them open the doorpad again, and this time use plastic tie straps to anchor them securely - there are plenty of holes that can be used for doing that. And, while doing that, apply some white petroleum jelly on the exposed terminals, and finally enclose the crossover in plastic zip bags. Door cavities are usually high humidity areas.
Some even use 3m double side stickers to fix it.

Quote:
Hmm..seems logical. Thanks

One question: if I do not have any amp installed yet, do I still need the crossovers for the front components? I am planning to get the rear door factory speakers replaced too. Any good suggestions around 5k range and if these are rated higher than the front components, then should these new speakers be installed in the rear or switch to front?

I do not have technical knowledge on ICE' s, so any insight would be helpful.
Most compos come with cross overs. I am not sure but I guess in the long run you may damage the speakers if you dont use.

And yes, you can use it even if you dont have amp.
Old 25th January 2013, 17:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... One question: if I do not have any amp installed yet, do I still need the crossovers for the front components? ...
The crossovers split the frequencies that then go to the mid-bass and the tweeters. Yes, you need them - otherwise the midbass and tweeter wouldn't function properly. And you have an amp in the HU, just that it is a lower rating than an external one.

Quote:
... I am planning to get the rear door factory speakers replaced too. ...
You should have got a pair of Blaupunkt coaxes of the same series as the components (e.g. VPx if VPc, or THx if THc). Should cost ~3K.
Old 25th January 2013, 19:10   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Couple of months back I had got the front door speakers replaced by Blaupunkt Components, with their respective crossovers. These crossovers, which were installed in the door, are creating a racket and have reduced the solidity of the doors to zilch. As a result, I get a double sound when the doors are closed.

CrazyDriver: I do not see the exact snap of crossovers installation or their location in the your thread. Could you help me in showing where you got yours installed? Are they giving any issues post installation?
I don't think I have any pics of the crossover install, but its installed on the doors. No issues yet.

You can 3M double sided tape, or even the damping material itself (Provided it is that sticky) to secure it with the door pad. Mine is stuck with damping material. Obviously, plastic would not create sounds against rubber.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
@CD. Wanted to know the cost of the PHD components and the DLS X Program XA-40 4 channel amplifier. I am planning to upgrade the ICE on my Linea, but retaining the crappy head unit.
Are you sure about the HU?

I was sure 1 year back as well, but now I'm waiting for my next bonus to upgrade this HU.

Will post the price once I get back home. (3pm to 1am shift @office).

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 25th January 2013 at 19:12.
Old 7th September 2013, 13:42   #30
BHPian

Cracking Setup you have there brother.

I have to upgrade my TUMBLR ( my 90hp Tuscan Wine) as well .

regarding Blue & Me , saw this link ( Pretty Costly though).

http://www.paser.it/en/p/87/BlueBack/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks