Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2012, 13:20   #1
BHPian

Can Speakers damage the Boot Lock?

Hi Gurus, I hope this is the right forum to ask this.

The lock of the boot lid of my 2008 Alto lxi stopped closing properly on a trip an year ago. I opened the lock with the key (the alto does not have the boot opening lever inside the cabin for the driver. Boot opens with key only), and the key stuck in the open position (Horizontal) when normally it should swing back into the insertion position (Vertical). Then the boot lid simply would not close. The lid just banged against lock in the boot, not engage properly and rebound off it. The key could be removed though. A local mechanic opened it up and fixed it in 15 minutes. He said a spring inside the lock had come off.

Can Speakers damage the Boot Lock?-img_1215.jpg
Can Speakers damage the Boot Lock?-img_1216.jpg

It was fine until 3 months ago when it happened randomly again. I sent it to Maruti service station and they said the same thing about the spring, fixed it and i got the car back. But the next day itself it happened again. I got a little angry with them, and they took the car and kept it with them for 3 days. They rang up saying the whole lock would have to be changed. They said that the damage was because the speakers were mounted on the Boot lid. That made the lid too heavy. Can this really be true??

Can Speakers damage the Boot Lock?-img_1217.jpg

The lock wasn't available for 2 more days. They changed the lock eventually and due to the inconvenience caused, did not charge for it (Maruti sales and service never fails to impress) But they insisted I get the speakers removed from there.

This issue hasn't recurred for 2 months, but I wasn't convinced by their theory. I remembered that almost within 2 days of buying the car in 2008, I had been rear-ended by an Indica, which had damaged the lock and the boot didn't open (no pics). I had got it fixed. And i had no issues till 3 years later. The music system too was fitted the day the car was bought, 2 days before the accident.

I'm confused. Can the speakers really cause such damage?? Gurus please help.

Also can the Speakers be fitted On the side of the boot by making new mounts and welding them at the spots shown in the pics below? I don't want to use the speaker boxes which take up all the boot space.

Can Speakers damage the Boot Lock?-img_1219.jpg Can Speakers damage the Boot Lock?-img_1220.jpg
Old 14th June 2012, 13:40   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Can Speakers damage the Boot Lock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
He said a spring inside the lock had come off.
They rang up saying the whole lock would have to be changed. They said that the damage was because the speakers were mounted on the Boot lid. That made the lid too heavy. Can this really be true??

But they insisted I get the speakers removed from there.

I'm confused. Can the speakers really cause such damage?? ..Also can the Speakers be fitted On the side of the boot by making new mounts and welding them at the spots shown in the pics below? I don't want to use the speaker boxes which take up all the boot space.
If the speakers damaged any part it should be the gas lid support of the hatch. The weight of the hatch is held by the gas lid support when the hatch is open.

I believe the lock damage was just due to fatigue over years of use (normal) and not directly related to the speakers.

What normally happens to hatch mounted speakers is that every time the hatch is opened and closed the speakers get slammed as well. This damages the screws used to attach the speakers to the hatch.
Old 15th June 2012, 14:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Can Speakers damage the Boot Lock?

If you look at the wear pattern of the lock (on the hatch) and the lock hook (on chassis member) in your pics, you will realize the hatch is not aligned properly vertically. It is evident that the lock is rubbing heavily against the hook plate. This may be causing a deflection in the lock mechanism everytime you close the hatch, causing the spring to jump out. There must be some way of correcting the vertical alignment. This has nothing to do with the speaker weight - quite likely it is the hatch hinges.

If you really want to relocate the speakers, yes, the location you have indicated is a good one. You will only need some 1/2" MDF or (treated) ply sheet to mount the speakers there.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 14:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Can Speakers damage the Boot Lock?

Quote:
...They said that the damage was because the speakers were mounted on the Boot lid. That made the lid too heavy. ....
The speakers mounted on the hatch-door CANNOT damage the lock springs.

Quote:
..That made the lid too heavy....
Depending on the speakers, it can get heavy. In our Alto, I went for Sony 6X9 ovals mounted on MDF boards fitted onto the hatch-door. The struts were not able to hold up due to the weight of the speakers. So, nowadays, I need to hold up the hatch-door manually. But, advantage : awesome bass without sub-woofer.

Never had problems with the lock-spring at all !
Old 15th June 2012, 15:09   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I have installed speakers in that position in the past. Never heard of the lock getting damaged, but as pointed out, I have seen the gas strut unable to hold the weight.

But yes, misalignment could be the problem.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 17:21   #6
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!

Thank you Sam. I have had to replaced the Gas strut once. I think you are right about misalignment. But the locks replaced, hopefully the problem won't happen again.

Thank you DerAlte, Blue and Sam. Your views have been helpful.

I think you guys are right about the misalignment. Will get it checked again during the next service. Hopefully the lock won't cause more problems.

I don't think i will get the speaker position changed, too much of a hassle especially that it most likely is not the cause.

Thanks comrades. Cheers

Last edited by GTO : 16th June 2012 at 09:53. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 15th June 2012, 17:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

The weight of the speakers and the thicker pad can be detrimental to the hatch door dampers. I am suffering from this in my Alto. For an year things were fine and slowly and steadily completely lost. But definitely no problem with the lock. lock
Old 15th June 2012, 23:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

question, what if worn out gas struts -> misalignment -> compounded by extra weight of speakers-> wear ?
Old 16th June 2012, 10:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
question, what if worn out gas struts -> misalignment ...
Worn out gas struts won't cause misalignment, na. At most the gas struts will be dysfunctional.
Old 16th June 2012, 11:04   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
There must be some way of correcting the vertical alignment.
Hi,

The vertical alignment can be corrected (somewhat) by adjusting the lock hook, by loosening these screws.

Can Speakers damage the Boot Lock?-img_1216.jpg
Old 16th June 2012, 11:18   #11
BHPian

I have two JBL's on my 2000 Zen's boot from 3 years. Last year I replaced lock spring and from last 3 months I am noticing that boot door does not stay up like before. MASS says gas struts are old and unable to hold the weight.
Old 16th June 2012, 11:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
... The vertical alignment can be corrected (somewhat) by adjusting the lock hook, by loosening these screws. ...
Quite evident in the pic that some hathoda chhaap mechanic has been at it with a hammer and chisel trying to correct the alignment - the screw heads are chipped at the edge!!!
Old 16th June 2012, 11:52   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
MASS says gas struts are old and unable to hold the weight.
THe gas struts were designed to hold only the weight of the boot hatch. The added weight of the speakers was never part of the design. As the gas struts got older their capacity was derated and hence are unable to hold the boot hatch and speakers anymore.
Old 16th June 2012, 12:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Worn out gas struts won't cause misalignment, na. At most the gas struts will be dysfunctional.
One of mine turned out to be weaker than the other, and the hatch stayed up at a slight angle, and the weaker one wore out faster to the point where it started making noises even while driving. I didnt have any damage, but Think its possible
Old 16th June 2012, 12:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
... I didnt have any damage, but Think its possible
Hmm... yes I agree. One weak damper will cause assymetrical loading of the hinges, and hatch is not really lightweight.

Not sure if that is the case here though. Could be!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks