Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2006, 05:26   #1
BANNED

Security for your Car Stereos

Everyone are eager to go for the latest HU available in the market (if money permits). But what are the steps taken by you for the security of your expensive HUs ?

Have you yet connected the HUs to the Central locking system if there is a provision in yours ?

And is it covered by the insurance ? I've seen lots & lots of fellows who simply don't even bother to insure their HUs even if they had bought it with the help of a loan.

I have heard that features like detachable face plates and stealth modes will protect the HUs from theft ? What are they ?

Is there any other features implemented in the new HUs ?
Old 13th April 2006, 05:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

IMO, detachable face plates and insurance are the only two effective guards available for security.
Old 13th April 2006, 10:00   #3
aZa
Senior - BHPian

other than what panky said .. i think investing into a good reliable remote locking system is a must.
Old 13th April 2006, 11:07   #4
Team-BHP Support

I know some whose HUs have been stolen even when they took the face plate with them. apparently theives have managed to replicate the face plate or are just plain not too smart.

to avoid this i prefer not have conspicous speakers and in my zen even retained the orignal dash cover (it is a piece of plastic about 7"x2") that is to be broken off when one installs a HU. So when I leave that car I take off the face plate and push in the original dash cover.

the best security is discretion.
Old 13th April 2006, 13:38   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
I know some whose HUs have been stolen even when they took the face plate with them. apparently theives have managed to replicate the face plate or are just plain not too smart.

to avoid this i prefer not have conspicous speakers and in my zen even retained the orignal dash cover (it is a piece of plastic about 7"x2") that is to be broken off when one installs a HU. So when I leave that car I take off the face plate and push in the original dash cover.

the best security is discretion.
I wish there was something like this for my Alto. Could I fabricate one somehow?
Old 13th April 2006, 13:52   #6
Team-BHP Support

There is. just ask your installer for this piece from the next alto he installs in. it comes with every car. sadly installers just cut it out and throw it away. if you car came with a HU preinstalled this piece was thrown away by your dealer.
Old 13th April 2006, 13:54   #7
BHPian

I have the thing with me. I installed the audio system myself, remember? But i will have to check if that plate goes in with the HU installed.
Old 13th April 2006, 14:03   #8
Team-BHP Support

Actually it is not even cut out... at least for my indica it was locked with plastic clips into the slot. It was simply taken out of the slot when installing the HU. Yes I have retained it with me but I doubt whether it can be pushed back into place after taking the face plate out. My Sony HU has a kind of outer rim which will prevent the clips from locking in.

By the way Mithun, another thing is the way the HU casing in your car has been built. In my Indica unless you carry the Sony HU opening keys you can not take out the HU. I mean you can but then it is a more cumbersome process of first opening the whole facia around the AC... So in such cases it becomes almost impossible for hit-and-run operators who need to get in, steal the unit and then beat it, all within minutes.
Old 13th April 2006, 14:08   #9
BHPian

It is the same for the alto. the plate has two clips which hold it in place. As zappo said, the outer rim prevents the clip from going in and locking in place.
Old 13th April 2006, 14:26   #10
Team-BHP Support

my zen HU's rim hold the plate in place albeit not very securly but the idea here is a deterent not something that will survive potholes and speedbreakers.

My astra's whole HU comes out yeah it is that old and my wife's sail and my RS are rarely parked in public spaces so we leave the HU faceplate in.

Last edited by navin : 13th April 2006 at 14:27.
Old 13th April 2006, 14:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

A few weeks back, AF and me went for a drink and left his zen parked just off Brigade road (Rest House Crescent Rd). It has central locking but he left the panel of the head unit behind. 45 mins later we come back to find the quarter glass dismantled.

Loss :
Pioneer 8650 HU
Rear JBL 6x9"
JBL Amp

They left the front jbl comps, unsure why but I think its because they were spotted by the security of a nearby apartment.
___

Almost every commercially availible solution in India is more a "theft deterrant" rather then a 100% security solution. I think it takes a combination of these solutions, common sense & good luck to avoid becomign a victim !
Old 13th April 2006, 14:58   #12
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah
A few weeks back, AF and me went for a drink and left his zen parked just off Brigade road (Rest House Crescent Rd). It has central locking but he left the panel of the head unit behind. 45 mins later we come back to find the quarter glass dismantled.

Loss :
Pioneer 8650 HU
Rear JBL 6x9"
JBL Amp

They left the front jbl comps, unsure why but I think its because they were spotted by the security of a nearby apartment.
___

Almost every commercially availible solution in India is more a "theft deterrant" rather then a 100% security solution. I think it takes a combination of these solutions, common sense & good luck to avoid becomign a victim !
What in 45 mins he looses his whole audio setup.Really sad!
Old 13th April 2006, 14:59   #13
BHPian

Happend to one of my friends this month, we had parked his 800 outside yatri nivas, by the time we came back from dinner (2 hours) the poineer HU was missing, everything else was intact and all four doors were locked. There were no tamper signs too. Dont know how the thief managed to get into the car. One needs to be extra careful while parking the car specially when its dark.

removing the face plate would only deter a thief with at least a small brain, there are many no-brainers who grab what ever they can and get away. There should be some device like in the movie "the jackel" where there some solution sprayed on the door knob and the one who touches it passes out ...... not a practical solution but yes one feels like it sometimes.
Old 13th April 2006, 15:06   #14
SRK
Senior - BHPian

I think there was some kind of security system developed which would cause a strong electric shock to the person touching the car (I dont know if its there or no),but sometimes you may be the one leaning on your car while that system is activated.
Old 13th April 2006, 17:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK
What in 45 mins he looses his whole audio setup.Really sad!
Not to mention my bag (New generation ipod, 3 caselogics of cd's, cologne etc etc...)

Most Viewed