Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2012, 17:03   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The Pioneer AVH-P8450BT

After nearly 4 years of using a JVC 810 followed by a 836, I finally shifted back to my longtime favourite car audio brand - Pioneer. Sold off the JVC and got the Pioneer AVH P8450BT.

The interface is a HUGE improvement over the JVCs that I used in terms of responsiveness and the WVGA screen resolution is a treat for the eyes, (not sure how the new 846 is).

The sound quality seems to be better in mid range bass and 'warmer', just the way I like it.

Changes coming up - Swapping out the Infinity Ref amp, components and rear speakers for either one of the following:

a) Keeping the entire Infinity Ref set - amp, speakers, components and adding a subwoofer.
b) Infinity Kappa amp, components and 6x9" rear speakers
c) Keeping the current Infinity Ref Amp, changing to Hertz components and 6x9" rear speakers with a subwoofer
d) Keeping the current Infinity Ref Amp, changing to Focal components and 6x9" rear speakers with a subwoofer

Sub woofer brand is not yet decided. I would prefer an active SW to save space. It will be kept in the boot

I do not listen to music loud only at moderate volumes. Bass response is critical, and no 'bright' or overly lively sound. Choice varies shifts between Jazz, Rock, soft rock and pop, old hindi music. Source is either an iPhone, iPod, flash drive or an android mobile phone. File are hi quality MP3s (>224 kpbs) and FLACs

Would appreciate some suggestions from car audio experts/fans here.
Old 14th July 2012, 00:52   #2
BHPian

Re: The Pioneer AVH-P8450BT

Congrats on the new acquisition! I'm no expert, but definitely a fan Slightly OT, but isn't the model number AVH-8490BT? Or is this a grey market piece? Just curious.
Old 14th July 2012, 09:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
... Changes coming up - Swapping out the Infinity Ref amp, components and rear speakers for either one of the following:

a) Keeping the entire Infinity Ref set - amp, speakers, components and adding a subwoofer.
b) Infinity Kappa amp, components and 6x9" rear speakers
c) Keeping the current Infinity Ref Amp, changing to Hertz components and 6x9" rear speakers with a subwoofer
d) Keeping the current Infinity Ref Amp, changing to Focal components and 6x9" rear speakers with a subwoofer

Sub woofer brand is not yet decided. I would prefer an active SW to save space. It will be kept in the boot ...
Unless you don't have the option of putting round coaxials in the doors, avoid the 6x9 coaxes on the hat rack. With a sub, it will be a very bass heavy image for the rear seat passengers. Even in the front seats, the image will not be perfect.

And, DON'T buy an active sub for the sake of space savings. With your choice of music, you will be very soon very irritated with the droning / boomy bass out of them, as most of the active subs are ported. Instead, shift the rear coaxes to the HU, and drive the sub off the rear channels of the amp bridged.

Audition the Infinity Ref sub. If you want to save boot space, consider putting the sub in a fiberglass sealed enclosure on the right side of the boot (the side away from the petrol filler inlet). There are plenty of pics in the ICE section from TBHPians who have done it. A couple have DIY instructions too accompanying the pics.

Personally I don't think you will get significant improvement switching to Hertz or Focal components, but that is me.

Last edited by DerAlte : 14th July 2012 at 09:35.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 11:32   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
avoid the 6x9 coaxes on the hat rack. With a sub, it will be a very bass heavy image for the rear seat passengers. Even in the front seats, the image will not be perfect.

And, DON'T buy an active sub for the sake of space savings. With your choice of music, you will be very soon very irritated with the droning / boomy bass out of them,

Audition the Infinity Ref sub. Personally I don't think you will get significant improvement switching to Hertz or Focal components, but that is me.
Thanks for the inputs DerAlte. Will have the accessory store connect the suggested SW for a review. I am not very sure about the speakers as I have never used Focal/Hertz before. I was always with Infinity, JBL and Pioneer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
Congrats on the new acquisition! I'm no expert, but definitely a fan Slightly OT, but isn't the model number AVH-8490BT? Or is this a grey market piece? Just curious.
Thanks pal...no this is not a grey market piece & it is the 8450BT, sold in some ASEAN countries and Aust./NZ. It came with a Pioneer India warranty and was imported in May 2012 per the box. The 8490 is latest model # revision and an India specific model (I think).

The warranty is 2 years instead of the normal 12 months I had with the JVC.
Old 15th July 2012, 14:35   #5
BHPian

I see. Before i bought my 4490BT, I had been to the grey market where they had stocks of only XX50 series. Since the price they quoted was ridiculous, I bought one with bill & warranty
Old 16th July 2012, 10:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion is to not use the 6*9 speakers if your car has speaker slots in the doors, just like DerAlte has also said.

As for components, I can vouch for Focal & RF components. They are good sets with a sound signature that's neither too bright nor too bassy. The Infinity comps were always a little too bright for me (the later models), however if they work for you then by all means, stick with them.

Do post pictures & details of the final install.
Old 16th July 2012, 10:33   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
My suggestion is to not use the 6*9 speakers if your car has speaker slots in the doors, just like DerAlte has also said.

As for components, I can vouch for Focal & RF components. They are good sets with a sound signature that's neither too bright nor too bassy. The Infinity comps were always a little too bright for me (the later models), however if they work for you then by all means, stick with them.

Do post pictures & details of the final install.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will have 6*9s for sure as the car came with the speakers in the rear parcel shelf + components up front. I will probably audition the Focals and Hertz speakers separately and only change if I find a difference that suits me. Will post the pics as well.

Well, let me put it this way, once upon a time I did prefer bright sound..but time and the type of music I listen to now is probably better served by warmer sound. Which is what I am looking for.

Quote:
I see. Before i bought my 4490BT, I had been to the grey market where they had stocks of only XX50 series. Since the price they quoted was ridiculous, I bought one with bill & warranty
As expected the 8490BT is a India specific model. Here's the screen shot from the Pioneer official launch video:
Attached Thumbnails
The Pioneer AVH-P8450BT-pioneer-2012.jpg  

Old 16th July 2012, 12:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Infinities - Reference, Primus and Kappa are incredibly bright (in that increasing order).
Perhaps they have been made for incredibly deaf people.

I have to run them with high EQ (10kHz) at the lowest possible setting - and it still sounds extremely bright to me!
(or "lively" as the audiophools love to say)

Hope you find warm set of speakers - because Indians prefer the spikey highs and boom boom lows - and the manufacturers come up with models to cater to this need.
Bye bye warm sound.

Last edited by alpha1 : 16th July 2012 at 12:12.
Old 16th July 2012, 12:41   #9
BHPian

Thanks for clarifying buddy. I too,like the others, hate bright sound. My scorpio has got a pair of Boston compos and they are really bright. I plan on replacing them with a pair of Morel Maximos.

DerAlte, have you heard maximos in person? If so, can you let me know if they are bright or not? I am inclined towards these now
Old 16th July 2012, 13:16   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Infinities - Reference, Primus and Kappa are incredibly bright (in that increasing order).
Perhaps they have been made for incredibly deaf people.

I have to run them with high EQ (10kHz) at the lowest possible setting - and it still sounds extremely bright to me!
(or "lively" as the audiophools love to say)

Hope you find warm set of speakers - because Indians prefer the spikey highs and boom boom lows - and the manufacturers come up with models to cater to this need.
Bye bye warm sound.
Yes, many Indians, specially those <25 years prefer bright sound with booming bass. The night club or disco effect as I call it.

Ok, here's what I generally set my car stereo to-

a) Equaliser off or on flat
b) Loudness off
c) Medium bass boost - adjusted from the amp's control, primarily as there's no sub woofer

The Infinity Ref component crossover network can be adjusted for high frequency cross over and boost. In my case it is set to default/normal because bright sound is highly irritating.

Blaupunkt sound used to be so nice and smooth back in the old days - but I rarely see a Blaupunkt set now.

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying buddy. I too,like the others, hate bright sound. My scorpio has got a pair of Boston compos and they are really bright. I plan on replacing them with a pair of Morel Maximos.
Please let me know how the Morels work out for you.

Last edited by R2D2 : 16th July 2012 at 13:18.
Old 16th July 2012, 18:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, many Indians, specially those <25 years prefer bright sound with booming bass. The night club or disco effect as I call it.

Ok, here's what I generally set my car stereo to-

a) Equaliser off or on flat
b) Loudness off
c) Medium bass boost - adjusted from the amp's control, primarily as there's no sub woofer

The Infinity Ref component crossover network can be adjusted for high frequency cross over and boost. In my case it is set to default/normal because bright sound is highly irritating.

Blaupunkt sound used to be so nice and smooth back in the old days - but I rarely see a Blaupunkt set now.

Please let me know how the Morels work out for you.
How does one adjust the crossover?
Old 16th July 2012, 18:40   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How does one adjust the crossover?
It has boost settings on the cross over.

For e.g. see here:

http://us.infinitysystems.com/produc...ref6030cs.html

Reference 6502ix - Infinity

Reference 6830cs - Infinity
Old 16th July 2012, 18:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It has boost settings on the cross over.

For e.g. see here:

Reference 6030cs - Infinity

Reference 6502ix - Infinity

Reference 6830cs - Infinity
LOL!
Boost the high end which is already at deafening levels!

Now I seriously reconsider my choice - JBLs were atleast were more tame in the high end.
:(
Old 16th July 2012, 18:56   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
LOL! Boost the high end which is already at deafening levels! Now I seriously reconsider my choice - JBLs were atleast were more tame in the high end.:(
The Infinity components are not unbearably bright. You should have heard my previous set of JBLs. By comparison, gosh, the Pioneers were absolutely insane. BTW what speakers are you using?
Old 16th July 2012, 19:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

Though the question wasn't directed at me, I still wanted to share my experience with the Morel Maximos. I had heard them about an year back & they surely sounded harsh for my liking in terms of the high frequency sounds.

Quote:
have you heard maximos in person? If so, can you let me know if they are bright or not? I am inclined towards these now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks