Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2012, 00:04   #1
BHPian

ICE - for Skoda Fabia : Rockford Fosgate Budget Speakers

My Fabia is 1.5 yrs old. Current ICE Setup :

1. Kenwood Head Unit : KDC U449 here
2. Front Speakers : JBL GT5-S265C (Component) here
3. Rear Speakers : Stock Fabia speakers(component) minus the tweeters

The place where I got this done from ripped me, sloppy work, wires hanging out after 5-6 months, scratches from the sharp screw driver used to open the panels. My heart still aches when I recall that day.

I have developed a phobia of visiting after market car accessory shops, but I do need decent sound. After going through the forum, there is one place in Lajpat Nagar a lot of people have vouched for, so I plan to upgrade/modify a little.

Constraints:
1. Running on a budget.
2. Need pleasing bass
3. Neat workmanship
4. Cant compromise boot space or cut the rear tray
5. I seem to like Rockford Fosgate
6. The sound cannot be too bright, if you know what I mean

Solutions:
Case 1:
I get all speakers replaced by 2 pairs of Rockford Fosgate R1675 here. I demoed these at the showroom and found them to be in budget and decent. Plus they are 3-way for full spectrum covered.

Case 2:
I only replace the rear speaker by RF R1675 and leave the front JBLs intact.

Case 3:
You take on the setup and suggestions.

My Current rear stock Fabia speakers give me a good bass but no mids/highs.
I'd like to have a pleasing punchy non-massaging bass and clear mids and highs. Am I asking too much from this setup or should I go for it?

I'd be very happy if anyone shares their experience of using these speakers, the dealer is terming them total value for money.

Danke, AB
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICE - for Skoda Fabia : Rockford Fosgate Budget Speakers

^^ First of all, changing a component speaker system to a coaxial (RockFord's model listed in your post) will most likely not be fruitful. The components almost always have a better sound clarity though they may not be as loud as a powerful coaxial.

I would suggest buying a better pair of components for the car's front & shifting your existing JBLs to the rear. That should give you plenty of mids & highs in your setup, with a balanced bass. RF components are a good bet for the price they come, with a very natural sound signature. DLS is another brand I would give a shot but they are not so easily available in Delhi, I believe.

Above are purely my suggestions based on my very limited understanding & experience of car audio, however, there are other experts on this forum who may be able to give you other suggestions as well.

Drive safe.
blackfire_9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 13:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Abhi as Blackfire mentioned it is not a good idea changing from Comps to the Coaxials. i can make a suggestion, go for a basic but a good pair of front speakers like BullAudio they do a model by name CS65 cost around 5K and they sound amazing, i have the older model of the same and they are amazing when hooked to a AMP. just got the new speakers installed in a friends zen and they sound amazing on the headunit itself, and i was wondering what will happen when connected to the amp.
desideep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 15:03   #4
BHPian

I am not an expert in ICe. Nevertheless, below are my 2 cents:
  • Keep the front comps intact
  • Get a pair of nice co-axials for the rear - There is a pair of co-axials available for every taste.
  • Pitch in an 4-ch amplifier to power all the four speakers or a 2-ch just to drive the comps. (There are some amps for sale on T-BHP classifieds itself
  • Get a decent wiring kit (refer ICE section) and get everything re-wired

According to me, the end result would be very good if not excellent.
Driving_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 00:52   #5
BHPian

Today I gave another try to the RF speakers and I'm not very convinced, I would love if someone using the speakers can share their experience.

More suggestions are always welcomed.
Old 4th August 2012, 08:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavinc View Post
Today I gave another try to the RF speakers and I'm not very convinced, ...
That's how it should be, @abhinavinc. If having heard it you were not impressed, look at other products. What matters is your ears - trust your own judgement, rather than doubting it.

One can look at experiences of others only on aspects which can be judged objectively, or instances of failure that indicate one should stay away from it. Whether one likes a particular set of speakers or not is very subjective.
Old 13th September 2012, 14:12   #7
BHPian

Hi, How did the upgrade go? I have a Fabia 1.2 TDI and looking at changing the head unit. I have a JBL GT-X555 unit. It has started to do nakhras only after a year of use.
Old 13th September 2012, 17:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

I use them in one of my cars.. Basic system: Pio HU + 2 pairs of these RFs (front and rear) in stock locations.. Trust me, they are worth every penny. Crystal Clear Sound!

However, if you're not satisfied, look for options.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks