Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2013, 13:59   #106
BHPian

re: ICE for the Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
So you used polyfill to fill the bottom 20% of the door (assuming the rest 80% is required to be kept free for window operation)!!! Interesting, though I wouldn't expect anything to happen - neither lowering of bass nor improvement of sound.
Well my reality does not agree with your expectation. I actually stuffed only one speaker (rear left), compared the difference to the Right speaker and then proceeded to stuff all speakers cavities.
Old 22nd July 2013, 16:09   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdman View Post
... then proceeded to stuff all speakers cavities.
Err... Just so that we understand you better, what is the 'speaker cavity' here? A pic would illustrate it, but still.

- Do you mean to say there is more to it than the speaker speaker mounting hole? (IIRC you had put a pic earlier explaining speaker size and mounting)

- Is there a separate cavity behind the speaker in a Duster door, which is sealed off from the rest of the door?

The expectation is that the rear of the speaker, mounted on the inner metal later of the door, vents into the door cavity (between inner and outer layers), without the rear being sealed in any way.
Old 22nd July 2013, 16:22   #108
BHPian

Quote:
...The expectation is that the rear of the speaker, mounted on the inner metal later of the door, vents into the door cavity (between inner and outer layers), without the rear being sealed in any way.
Yes. this is correct. But the speaker mounts to the plastic of the door paneling. The the panel is formed around the rear of the speaker but vents into the door cavity.
Old 22nd July 2013, 19:36   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. this is correct. But the speaker mounts to the plastic of the door paneling. The the panel is formed around the rear of the speaker but vents into the door cavity.
There is nothing behind the speaker other than empty space. Where did you stuff the polyfill? Did you put it in a cloth bad and smother the rear of the speaker?

Sorry to bother you again and again with questions, but in the absence of a pic of the stuffing in place, it is difficult to imagine from your description what you achieved, how and why (scientific reason, not disbelieving your perception of better bass from the mid-bass speakers).
Old 22nd July 2013, 20:01   #110
BHPian

DerAlte, have you had a chance to remove the speaker and take a look? I would have to remove mine to take a photo. Just as easy if you remove yours and take a look.
Old 30th July 2013, 21:44   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Is there a separate cavity behind the speaker in a Duster door, which is sealed off from the rest of the door?

The expectation is that the rear of the speaker, mounted on the inner metal later of the door, vents into the door cavity (between inner and outer layers), without the rear being sealed in any way.
In the Duster rear doors, the speaker mounts on the door panel, and not on the door's inner metal frame. The plastic, shroud-like structure that the speaker mounts on, effectively channels the speaker's rear wave right into the door.

If I understood right, he has removed the speaker from its mounted position and stuffed fistfuls of recron into the bottom-most part of the door.
Old 30th July 2013, 23:02   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
... the speaker mounts on the door panel, and not on the door's inner metal frame. The plastic, shroud-like structure that the speaker mounts on, effectively channels the speaker's rear wave right into the door.

If I understood right, he has removed the speaker from its mounted position and stuffed fistfuls of recron into the bottom-most part of the door.
I know - same arrangement as with Safari!

I was surprised he perceived any increase in low-end loudness with something that doesn't essentially change anything in the volume behind the speaker. Even the increase in damping in the door cavity is likely to be too marginal to suppress noise in that frequency range.
Old 31st July 2013, 01:07   #113
BHPian

Quote:
I was surprised he perceived any increase in low-end loudness with something that doesn't essentially change anything in the volume behind the speaker. Even the increase in damping in the door cavity is likely to be too marginal to suppress noise in that frequency range.
Guys, I have not gone out and measure frequency response with a meter. You can question my findings all you want. I am an amateur muscian and have pretty decent relative pitch. Whether or not bass is being increased can be reduced to a technicality. However, it could be as simple and the mids being cleaned up due to less resonance/reflections etc., resulting in the bass being heard better.
Old 31st July 2013, 11:16   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... You can question my findings all you want. I am an amateur muscian and have pretty decent relative pitch. ...
Peace! Even non-musicians can detect differences, if there are differences - that is the nature of the human ear.

Anyhow, you are most welcome to having perceived better sound by whatever you did, and it doesn't matter whether there is a scientific basis to it or not. Enjoy!
Old 8th August 2013, 19:41   #115
BHPian

Has anyone added an amp to the original head unit? If so, can you clarify if the unit has an RCA/pre-amp out jacks? Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 20:26   #116
BHPian

Folks, I have a couple of questions/clarifications on the stock radio:

1. USB:If I turn off the ignition while the music is playing from the USB. Next time I restart the engine, the musics starts from the beginning of the USB - not where it left off. If I power off the radio before I turn off the ignition, then next time I turn on the radio, it picks up where it left off. Do you experience the same? (PS: I have reformatted the USB drive etc.)

2. Bluetooth: If I am on a call and turn off the engine, the call gets transferred to the phone and the radio/music/whatever was playing comes on. then after a few seconds the blue tooth reconnects and the call gets transferred back to the speakers. Do you have similar experience?

MODS: Please feel free to move this post if it belongs to another thread..
Old 16th August 2013, 19:29   #117
BHPian

Some info about audio installation in my Renault duster -

I initially got 6.5" Infinity Reference 6500CX components for front and Auditor 165C 6.5" Co-Axial for rear. I paid some INR 7500 for front components and INR 3000 for the rear coaxials (both installed on door, will share pics soon).

The very next day Snapdeal.com came out with an offer - Infinity Primus 6500 CS MRP 8990 for Rs. 4000 and I grabbed it. Got the rear coaxials replaced by pair of Inifinity Primus components.

Overall happy with the sound quality except some shudders from the door while playing some particular songs on high volume. I hope the next some damping sheets should resolve this problem. At the moment there is no amplifier installed. Will install a previously owned Alpine 4-channel amp and add a 10" subwoofer during next upgrade.

Cheers
Pahwa
Old 21st August 2013, 14:02   #118
BHPian

Inifinity COmponent Speakers Installation in Renault Duster

As promised, here is a pic of the speaker installation. I know this is not the best way to install the tweeters but I do not like them mounted on the A-Pillar hence the doors.
Attached Thumbnails
ICE upgrade : Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano-dusterinfinity-6500cx.jpg  

Last edited by pahwa : 21st August 2013 at 14:11. Reason: Image Allignment
Old 18th November 2013, 16:38   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcrawler View Post
Thanks Navin, but I've seen it placed in the 'regular' position so I just thought I'd try something different. The links you posted are awesome; I'm only wondering why I did not find them while I was Googling for 'tweeter positions' . You are right (and so is DerAlte), with my current location of tweeters the stage is somewhere floating around the cabin .

I did this on a whim and I have to go back to my accessory wallah today. It seems his ears are like mine, because he was telling me he found this 'sound effect' quite nice. I dunno if he was pulling my leg (most likely so, considering the opinions of the Gurus) or if the Duster's cabin has unique acoustics. In any case, I'll go back and reposition the 'offending' bits in more conventional locations sometime later this week.

The kick panel area in the Duster is too cramped already; I'm sure you know that. Maybe the on-dash or A-pillar option will be the best. I'll update as soon as I get that done. Wherever I place it finally, it will sound better the abominations Renault provides as OE speakers
Seriously, you are one sporting guy !
Old 4th March 2014, 10:57   #120
BHPian

ICE Upgrade for Nissan Terrano

HI Guys,

I have been contemplating an ICE upgrade for last few days on my 2 month old ride. Though i knew the sound quality was never great on Duster/Terrano twins, I had never though i would need an upgrade so soon. Below are the products that I have shortlisted:

1. HU - Pioneer AVH 8590 Have always been a fan of touchscreen HUs and i feel this is probably one of the best currently in market. I ahd a couple of ques around the usability and fitment tho. Not sure if anyone has fitted this in their Dusters/Terrano and would it be the right size? What other fitments are required to give it a neat finish. Secondly, is there a way for me to run navigation on this HU itself?

2. Front Components - I do not wish to alter the OEM finish and hence would like to stick to the 5.25 speakers. There are not too many options in the market available in this size and hat makes it difficult. All i could find as of now was JBL GTO509 and it looks good at price of <4K. As only the front seats are occupied for 95% of the time, I have decided to stick to OEM rear speakers.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks