Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2006, 23:10   #16
BHPian

guys...

I still haven't got around to getting the car kitted out. In the mean time; i have been running through the car audio threads... looks like i'd be getting too confused with all of them!!! I have got some questions regarding the setup options:-

1) Use the sony 504 to power the sub, as well as the 6x9s at the rear. The problem with this is; the soundstage shifts to the rear, and could give me a headache because of too much bass, as the 6x9s would act as 2 8" subs.

2) In the interests of cost... would it be better to simply get a Sony 502, and drive the sub?. I could leave the 6x9s running form the HU.

3)I don't have front speakers yet... for the simple reason that some drilling would be required on the side panels to accomodate them. But, i realize that the best combination would be to leave the 6x9s alone, use the sony 504 to drive the sub and the front speakers.

Which of the 3 options would you suggest?..cos i am not too keen on drilling the side panels for the front speakers.
Old 14th May 2006, 23:36   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharth_j
guys...

I still haven't got around to getting the car kitted out. In the mean time; i have been running through the car audio threads... looks like i'd be getting too confused with all of them!!! I have got some questions regarding the setup options:-

1) Use the sony 504 to power the sub, as well as the 6x9s at the rear. The problem with this is; the soundstage shifts to the rear, and could give me a headache because of too much bass, as the 6x9s would act as 2 8" subs.

2) In the interests of cost... would it be better to simply get a Sony 502, and drive the sub?. I could leave the 6x9s running form the HU.

3)I don't have front speakers yet... for the simple reason that some drilling would be required on the side panels to accomodate them. But, i realize that the best combination would be to leave the 6x9s alone, use the sony 504 to drive the sub and the front speakers.

Which of the 3 options would you suggest?..cos i am not too keen on drilling the side panels for the front speakers.

I am awaiting your suggestions....

besides; is the sony 502 capable of driving a sub?... or should i look for something better?
Old 14th May 2006, 23:38   #18
Team-BHP Support

guys guys guys. at this rate i'll be retireing. very nice gunbir et. al. Not much to add.
the JBL 8" mated to a 502 will serve well.

an option is to get the sony 504 if budget permits and some 4-5" speakers for the front as well. let the 504's other 2 channels drive the front speakers.
Old 15th May 2006, 07:40   #19
BHPian

Seems good;

I got a question for JK. Mate, can you give me Trivandrum prices for JBL 4/5" front speakers? Also for the 8" JBL sub; you said u saw one at a shop in plamoodu...?
Old 15th May 2006, 08:25   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Just one last question.... how bad would this be?
I mean.... from the amplifier...for the 6x9s...set the High Pass Filter to ON, and for the sub...the LPF to ON.

Would this work?... reduce the bass a bit?.. I dont mind the soundstage..cos as it is; i dont have front speakers as of now
Old 15th May 2006, 09:11   #21
Team-BHP Support

it might even sound better! The sony will have less work so might do it better.
the LPF for the sub is sorta mandatory anyway.

in reality Guru Sam has told me that many like the midbass hump they get with a sub and 6x9s working in tandem.
Old 15th May 2006, 09:25   #22
BHPian

ah!.. thank you thank you!!!

thats the answer i wanted to hear

i was against this drilling bit to put in those front speakers.. Well, i just guess i will go ahead with the sony 504/554, and the JBL 8", with 2 channels from the amp running the 6x9s :-)

Plan to get the install done by end of this week...
So; do keep the suggestions pouring in :-)
Old 15th May 2006, 14:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
in reality Guru Sam has told me that many like the midbass hump they get with a sub and 6x9s working in tandem.
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if Sam has an affinity for everything associated with the word 'hump'.
Old 15th May 2006, 16:59   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

My hump, my hump my hump my hump, those lovely lady lumps...

I love the Black eyed peas. So meaninglessly funnn fun fun.
Old 15th May 2006, 17:30   #25
BHPian

Thats naughty Sam!

Anyways...i got my system, its up and running.. Here's my configuration

Sony CDX S22S headunit
Kenwood 6x9s at the rear
JBL GTO1000B Subwoofer box
Sony 554Z 4 channel amplifier
Pioneer tweeters up front

I have left the HPF Off on the sub. Then cancelled the lows from the headunit.

System sounds pretty good. What do you think guys?

All suggestions/comments/ and brick bats are welcome
Old 15th May 2006, 19:23   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have left the HPF Off on the sub. Then cancelled the lows from the headunit.
Well now you have the system - so lets talk constructive only.

Amigo, that sentence makes no sense. An HPF only allows high (treble and mid) frequencies to go thru. So your statement is umm.. wierd.

The GTO1000B is a passive sub so i assume you meant the amp driving it. Well of course the HPF isn't used, you use the LPF (which is what i suspect you meant)
I think what you are trying to say is that you kept the amp on flat and used the sub out on the HU right? Because if you cancel the lows from the headunit, then there's umm... nothing coming out of the sub.

So this is what you could have done/can do. You can use the subwoofer out on the HU, and cut it off at about 80hz or so. Or you can use the LPF on the amp to the same effect. Or you can use both to achieve a slightly steeper cut off curve (a little advanced there, no worries if you cant get it)

The only actual change i would request is to change the "tweeters only" in the front configuration to a component set( Mid woofers, crossover and tweeter set). If you can return the tweeters, pay a little more do it, well and good, if not, maybe this is the first change you should make at some later date.
Congratulations on the system, enjoy your music.

A later edit: I just read back and saw that you merely added an amp and a sub box. I must say it is a good choice to buy a pre-fabricated boxed woofer, if you dont, or worse your installer doesnt know what he might do. A wrong box will ruin the sound.
So since you have only added a 4 ch amp and a Sub, you've not done badly at all and you dont deserve any brickbats.

next step, buy a set of components (chuck the pioneer tweeters) and use that 4 channel amp to drive the components and the woofer. Let the kenwood 6X9s run off the HU amp ok?
Cheers.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 15th May 2006 at 19:31.
Old 15th May 2006, 19:36   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
I think what you are trying to say is that you kept the amp on flat and used the sub out on the HU right? Because if you cancel the lows from the headunit, then there's umm... nothing coming out of the sub.

So this is what you could have done/can do. You can use the subwoofer out on the HU, and cut it off at about 80hz or so. Or you can use the LPF on the amp to the same effect. Or you can use both to achieve a slightly steeper cut off curve (a little advanced there, no worries if you cant get it)
Sorry 'bout the confusion, Sam, my mistake.
You are right. I have used the sub out on the HU. and the LPF on the amp is set ON. The HPF is not used.

Hope this clears everything up :-)

As of now; the soundstage is towards the rear, but its ok. At a later date, i will try the component set
Old 15th May 2006, 23:08   #28
BHPian

Just need to know, how best to fine tune the system for best sound reproduction.

Do you guys have a specific manner in which you try out different settings that would give the best option possible?

What settings should i be trying out? with regard to the Fader/Sub volume, as well as the Low/Mid/Highs?
Old 15th May 2006, 23:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seems good;

I got a question for JK. Mate, can you give me Trivandrum prices for JBL 4/5" front speakers? Also for the 8" JBL sub; you said u saw one at a shop in plamoodu...?
LOL... JK the "un-official" JBL "dealer" in Tvm??
Old 15th May 2006, 23:48   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Just need to know, how best to fine tune the system for best sound reproduction.

Do you guys have a specific manner in which you try out different settings that would give the best option possible?

What settings should i be trying out? with regard to the Fader/Sub volume, as well as the Low/Mid/Highs?
Oh...and one more thing. If i increase the sub volume, there is some vibration coming from the rear panels. What can be done for this?

Most Viewed