Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2012, 07:49   #1
BHPian

Weird issue with my audio system

hi friends, i have a Fiat linea emo pack . 2 years back, i got the following install carried out
1) HU - Stock ( thanks to Blue & Me. No option)
2) Focal Solid 4 Amp
3) Morel Tempo components
4) JBL 10" woofer

Everything was fine till march 2012. Then - on wards i am having this issue of the amp suddenly cutting out for 2-3 seconds and then coming back to life. Also, this behavior is not constant, but happens randomly. sometimes upping the volume to high levels for 4-5 seconds and then bringing down the volume takes care of the issue for a while, until it decides to repeat itself.

I checked up the wiring and it still looks intact. This problem is more pronounced at low volumes or while playing the radio. Also the issue is not over-heating as i checked that aspect initially itself.

Any advice?

Regards
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:07   #2
BHPian

Re: Wierd issue with my System

This is Just a shot in the dark, Since you mentioned you have retained the stock head unit you would have used some kind of line level converter to send the signal to your amp.

Maybe thats the component acting up. It could be something else but since you mentioned that you checked the wiring this is the only thing i could come up with.

Is the behavior the same on all media played through your head unit? (cd/usb/aux)
lilMonSter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 15:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Wierd issue with my System

Quote:
Originally Posted by octy9833 View Post
... amp suddenly cutting out for 2-3 seconds and then coming back to life. Also, this behavior is not constant, but happens randomly. ... Also the issue is not over-heating as i checked that aspect initially itself ...
The amp will cut-out only on internal temperature exceeding the set one. What could have happened is that over time, air flow reduction and dust deposition on the heat sink fins would have deteriorated the heat dissipation abilities.

Take the amp out, clean it with compressed air thoroughly inside and outside, and see if it still cuts out randomly.
Old 23rd August 2012, 16:39   #4
BHPian

Re: Weird issue with my audio system

thanks for the inputs.. i will get the cleaning done.. also this cut off of the amp occurs along with a loud "tupp" sound from the speakers.. does this indicate anything?

regards
Old 24th August 2012, 11:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Everything was fine till march 2012. Then - on wards i am having this issue of the amp suddenly cutting out for 2-3 seconds and then coming back to life. Also, this behavior is not constant, but happens randomly. sometimes upping the volume to high levels for 4-5 seconds and then bringing down the volume takes care of the issue for a while, until it decides to repeat itself.

I checked up the wiring and it still looks intact. This problem is more pronounced at low volumes or while playing the radio. Also the issue is not over-heating as i checked that aspect initially itself.

Any advice?

Regards
Did you give the car for servicing recently? Check for moisture as they water might have entered due to spray cleaning. I had a similar problem with my Blau amp some time back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMonSter View Post
This is Just a shot in the dark, Since you mentioned you have retained the stock head unit you would have used some kind of line level converter to send the signal to your amp.

Maybe thats the component acting up. It could be something else but since you mentioned that you checked the wiring this is the only thing i could come up with.

Is the behavior the same on all media played through your head unit? (cd/usb/aux)
I second that. Line level converter may be acting foul too.

Quote:
1) HU - Stock ( thanks to Blue & Me. No option)
Err, why exactly do you like Blue and Me? Its perhaps the worst Microsoft product ever. And btw, if you get an after market HU with BT inbuilt, that pretty much does everything (and more) compared to B&M. Plus its better, faster and bug-free.
nishantgandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 13:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... cut off of the amp occurs along with a loud "tupp" sound from the speakers ...
This happens usually when the DC power is cut off - either by loose connection at the power terminal of, or somewhere inside, the amp, or when the over-temperature cut-out cuts out in the amp. In your case it could also be the first case, since the thermostat usually takes more than 10s to reset itself.

Signal interruption wouldn't cause the 'tupp' / 'dhupp' sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
... Err, why exactly do you like Blue and Me? Its perhaps the worst Microsoft product ever. And btw, if you get an after market HU with BT inbuilt, that pretty much does everything (and more) compared to B&M. Plus its better, faster and bug-free.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2012, 08:51   #7
BHPian

Had a similar issue with my pioneer 944 amp .The audio mech had sprayed wd40 on all the terminals and the switches cleaned the amp with compressed air the problem has not recurred for last 1 year.He said it was due to moisture build up .
sierrakamat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 14:07   #8
BHPian

thanks friends...

i will take it to car shringar this week end and ask them to check up the connections again..

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks