Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2012, 16:04   #1
BHPian

Car Thermometer Hygrometer / Weather information system?

Dear Gurus,

I was looking through ebay, junglee etc. to look for a Car thermometer hygrometer/weather information system. I came up with these searches/links:

SainSpeed 7045V Compact 3-in-1 Car Computer with I-EZP (SainSpeed 7045V Compact 3-in-1 Car Computer with I-EZP | eBay)

LCD Digital Clock Car Thermometer Hygrometer voltage calendar Weather Forecast
(LCD Digital Clock Car Thermometer Hygrometer voltage calendar Weather Forecast (Rs. 2928))

My question is are these products worthwhile? Has anyone from the forum tested these? or are there any other aftermarket products that are available?

Thank your for your replies in advance.
Old 29th August 2012, 18:59   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car Thermometer Hygrometer / Weather information system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMASKARAN View Post
My question is are these products worthwhile?
Since you asked : NO

Weather information system? Why not use your smartphone (or buy one if you don't have it already). Not only will that give you all the weather information you need, but also a host of other car-related features (weather forecasting apps, music player, free gps navigation, g force calculator, FE app etc.). You could also use the Team-BHP App to read the forum from time to time

Outside / inside temperature reading : I couldn't care less about. Rather than numbers, I just set the temperature to a level I am comfortable with.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 20:40   #3
BHPian

Check out dealextreme for these kind of products. Had ordered a LED cabin light and a digital thermometer for the car. Delivery takes time though. Have replaced the stock cabin light bulb with the LED but still to find a place to stick the thermometer. It has a meter long wired probe and placing it along with the wire gives a messy look.

I wholly agree with GTO on the smartphone option. You can buy an economy smartphone like micromax aisha and use it specifically for the car!

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 29th August 2012 at 20:41.
Old 30th August 2012, 00:16   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMASKARAN View Post
...Car thermometer hygrometer/weather information system...

My question is are these products worthwhile? Has anyone from the forum tested these? or are there any other aftermarket products that are available?
A desktop/home-use indoor-outdoor thermometer, with or without humidity readings, is what you need to look at - something like this (http://www.target.com/p/la-crosse-te...t/-/A-11178092) or this (Digital Mini LCD Thermometer with Outdoors Sensor Aquarium Refrigerator Freezer | eBay / White In-out Doors Temperature Humidity Hygrometer Thermometer Analog Meter | eBay). They're cheap, and fairly rugged, and last fine when attached to the sun visor of your car. I've used such an instrument for the last couple of years, even taking it to Ladakh, and it continues to function fine. All it cost me was Rs.600 from Nehru Place. Drop by if you want to look at it!
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 10:59   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Since you asked : NO

Weather information system? Why not use your smartphone (or buy one if you don't have it already). Not only will that give you all the weather information you need, but also a host of other car-related features (weather forecasting apps, music player, free gps navigation, g force calculator, FE app etc.). You could also use the Team-BHP App to read the forum from time to time
Good suggestion, but which smartphone gives a permanent desk clock style display of clock and temperature when screen is locked? I would like to buy it.

--R
Old 30th August 2012, 11:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
... but which smartphone gives a permanent desk clock style display of clock and temperature when screen is locked? ...
*Any* smartphone can. One just has to configure the smartphone not to switch off the display in the Settings. If worried about battery drain, one can always use the car charger.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 12:35   #7
Team-BHP Support

I have a smartphone, top of the line, and it only tells me weather recorded at nearest weather station, and current barometeric pressure, and battery temperature.
If you need a weather station in your car you need the following

1. Thermometer + hygrometer = 200-300rs for analog
2. Barometer - This can be expensive

Or you can buy a 5000-6000 watch.

Without any computer for recording, you have to keep looking at the readings.
For example, we went to Govind Dham.
At 3100mts pressure was 695mbar

It was nice and sunny.
Then clouds came. Fear of rain. But pressure did not drop. So we knew no rain. At night pressure dropped by 30, so we knew rain.

On my smartphone I could have used an app to tell me this, but its too much noise while gaining altitude, as it keeps saying rain possible.

If you really want a basic weather station, read on how temparature, RH and Pressure interact to create rainy conditions.

If you want something advanced, you need to buy temp sensor, pressure sensor and RH sensor.
Then you need to pair them with an IC to create readings, and then finally, use a serial port to connect to a computer. You can write a driver for your device to log readings, and then write a software program to predict weather.

Alternatively you can spend 35-50 USD and buy a weather station. Search on Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More Online Shopping | eBay

It will predict weather, store 24 hr graphs, and tell you actual stuff also.

for exact search, go to Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More Online Shopping | eBay, type weather station, then sort by "price and shipping lowest first" (chose your city in India as area to deliver), and then simply add price 35$+
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed