Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2012, 12:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs

So the ICE BUG bit me somewhere in 2009.
I for the first time got a proper setup done on my Honda City i-VTEC.Previous to that all our cars have 4 speakers and a headunit to play them off.

Last year,i started by giving a second lease of life to my Honda City Type 2.Got the mechanicals done first,then paint then wheels,then interior and exterior upgrades.

The car also needed an upgrade in Audio because the car was still running on the OEM speakers given by the company.One or two of them had stopped working also.These speakers were being powered of by a Pioneer 5850.A top end Pioneer headunit which dad had got put in 2006 to replace the OEM Honda Cassette Player after cassettes were going extinct.
The headunit needed an upgrade to because it did not have Aux or USB which is a must nowadays.

After hearing a few nice audio setups in Calcutta in Anish 9000's BMW 323i E30,LM002's Gladen Swift,Xeta's Fiesta,Shuvc's Civic,Dj Nik's Getz,Ace 6120's Vtec and Shuvd's Vtec,the want for good music went up even more.
Therefore realizing,how the basic equipment in my Honda City i-VTEC sounded,I decided to go a step higher in this install.

Tired of the Boom Boom sound in my City i-VTEC due to the basstube,tried to go a little SQ this time.

Last edited by cityvic : 30th September 2012 at 12:14.
cityvic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 12:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: City s(Q) Pioneer 5190 | Rainbow Dream Line | Pioneer A932 | Gladen M12 | JBL 100

The previous equipment the car had

HU: Pioneer 5850
Front: OEM Honda Clarion 4" Speakers
Rear: OEM Honda Clarion 6.5" Speakers

The new equipment for the car and from where they were procured from.

HU: Pioneer 5190 (from previous install)
Front: Rainbow Dreamline 6.5" components (S&S Inc.)
Rear: Pioneer TS A932 (from previous install)
Amp: JBL 1004 (United Customz)
Sub: Gladen M12 (S&S Inc.)
Wiring: Scoshe (S&S Inc.)

Installation done at S&S Inc.

Last edited by cityvic : 30th September 2012 at 23:56.
cityvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 16:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: City s(Q) Pioneer 5190 | Rainbow Dream Line | Pioneer A932 | Gladen M12 | JBL 100

Headunit

I had replaced the OEM Alpine Headunit in my Honda City ZX in 2010 with a Pioneer 5190 because the OEM headunit lacked Aux and USB features,which are a must for me.Burning CD's is a pain nowadays.Sold of the car 6 months back so the HU was taken off and the stock one was put back.Hence it was just lying in my store,so decided to put it to some use by installing it on my Type 2.

I personally feel its a brilliant headunit by Pioneer.One of the last good looking Pioneer HU's made in the sub 15k category.
The HU also has 3 preouts and lot of tuning possibilities which makes it a charm to use.

Will be upgrading to an Alpine iDA-X305 soon.

City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-1.jpgCity s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-2.jpgCity s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-3.jpgCity s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-4.jpgCity s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-5.jpgCity s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-6.jpgCity s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-7.jpg

Please ignore the missing ciggererate lighter socket cap.It was misplaced by the Honda Service Centre,waiting for a replacement of the part to arrive.

Last edited by cityvic : 9th October 2012 at 00:13.
cityvic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 17:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Front Components

I started around with a budget of 7-8k to got those ideal set of components for my car.The stock size is 4".Decided to put spaces get 6.5" Compos

Infinity,heard Infinity Reference 6.5 compos on a friends car.Found the clarity amazing and the bass was just right too.
Selected this as an option.

Illusions,Electras were at one time the most talked about components in the 5-6k range.Razor was the first one to fit them in cal.Got a chance to hear to Shuvc's Baleno and Civic.Loved the sound and everything else in it was perfect too.
The only problem with it was now their availability,no place had them.I heard Illusion Audio had stopped manufacturing their products and hence Illusions cancelled.

Rockford Fosgate,heard set of RF Prime compos on a friends Honda City i-VTEC,though the bass was fine,the treble was a bit too much for me.
It wasn't something which sounded perfect to me.

Bull Audio
,Shuvd had recently fit Bull Audio 6.5 compos in his VTEC.
Heard them once,sadly the speakers were a bit to loud and bright for the both of us.He then upgraded to Gladen RS Line 6.5 Compos.Hence Bull was rejected.

God decided to redefine audio in Calcutta when S&S Inc. became the authorized dealer for BBW in Calcutta.
I realized,I know have several more options to try out before selecting the final set of compos.

Gladen,Bhpian LM002 got a full fledged Gladen RS Line setup done in his Swift,all from the compos to the amplifier and the sub.Heard the setup and loved it to the core.Also heard the RS line components in Shuvd's Vtec.RS Line was slightly above my budget.M Line could be managed and hence was chosen as an option.

Rainbow,a name which dominated in high end installs in Team Bhp.It was something which I always wanted to listen too.Anish9000 has a brilliantly done up and a very high end audio setup in his BMW 323i E30,gave him a call and heard the setup.Now this was something mind blowing,rainbows were something which I had never heard before.It was one heck of an experience and everything sounded so perfect.Also got a sunao of the Rainbow Soundline Compos installed in Xeta's Fiesta.

So 3 options chalked out in front of me now are:
1. Infinity Reference 6.5 Compos
2. Gladen M 165 6.5 Compos
3. Rainbow Dreamline DL-C6.2 Compos

Found the Rainbows to be the best sounding and decided to go with the Dreamline 6.5 Components.Now what I had chosen was way above the original budget I had decided for the front stage.

City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-1-1.jpg
Name:  1 2.jpg
Views: 9352
Size:  195.3 KB
City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-1-3.jpg
City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-1-4.jpg
City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-1-5.jpg
City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-1-6.jpg
City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-1-7.jpg
City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-1-8.jpg
City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-1-1.jpg
City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-1-2.jpg
City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-1-3.jpg
City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-1-4.jpg

Last edited by cityvic : 15th October 2012 at 16:09.
cityvic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 18:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Rear Coaxials

Since,I always sit in the front and I am the only one who uses this City at home,what was there in the rear stage did not make much of a difference to me.

The rear 6x9's were to be run from the Headunit as the 4 channel amp I had planned to get would power the front stage and sub.
My HU was powerful enough to power these 6x9's too.

I was just wanting to get something to fill up the space.Had thought of getting new JBL/Rockford Fosgate 6x9 speakers earlier.Then I realized I still have the Pioneer TS A932 Coaxials which I had installed in my Honda City ZX at the time of purchase,I had removed them while selling it off and installed back the OEM Clarion speakers which came with the car
Decided to put them to some use by installing it on the type 2 rather than to just lie in the cabinet.
These speakers are pretty good too.They do not sound very loud and have the ideal bass.

Hence,the Pioneer TS A932 Coaxials were confirmed upon.I had to get the OEM Tray cut slightly to get these speakers installed as the stock size was suited for 6.5" speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-dscn4637.jpg  

City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-dscn4638.jpg  

City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-dscn4639.jpg  

Last edited by cityvic : 8th October 2012 at 22:49.
Old 30th September 2012, 22:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Amplifier

I needed to get a 4 channel amplifier because my front stage and sub would be powered by it.
Chalked out my options to,JBL 1004 or Rockford Fosgate Prime R250-4

What better than having JBL products?
Have been a user of them since 2007 and have been extremely happy.
They are total VFM and run problem free their entire lifetime.

So finalized on the JBL 1004.

City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-img2012100100913.jpg
City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-img2012100100912.jpg
City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-dscn4649.jpg
City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-dscn4660.jpg
City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-dscn4664.jpg

Last edited by cityvic : 14th October 2012 at 19:06.
Old 30th September 2012, 22:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Subwoofer

Tired of the Boom Boom of the basstube,wanted something which offered tight bass.Hence decided to go in for a Sealed Box.

I was earlier toying with the idea of removing the sub from my JBL 1215 Basstube in my Honda City i-VTEC and putting the sub in a sealed box and put in the the City Type 2.
Sadly that idea did not work out and I decided to go for a new Sub.

Was hearing good reviews of the Gladen M12 from Gunbir and hence decided to get an audition in Shuvd's Vtec.He is powering the Gladen RS Line Compos and Gladen M12 sub via a JBL 1004 hence my situation was pretty much similar too.
Heard the sub and found it to be awesome.The bass was not that boom boom types and just precise to the beats of the song.

Also heard LM002's swift's Gladen RS Line sub,it sound amazing.
But again there was quite a significant difference in price and I did not want to spend that much.

Hence decided to go in for a Gladen M12 in sealed box.
Attached Thumbnails
City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-dscn4646.jpg  

Last edited by cityvic : 9th October 2012 at 00:04.
Old 30th September 2012, 23:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wiring

Went in for Scosche wiring.Every wire for the audio in the car is scosche stuff from the Amp Kit to the RCA's to the Speaker cables.
Attached Thumbnails
City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-img2012100100909.jpg  

City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-img2012100100910.jpg  

City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-img2012100100911.jpg  

Last edited by cityvic : 8th October 2012 at 22:51.
Old 30th September 2012, 23:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

The final boot layout.
A very clean and professionally done job,no wires to be seen anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-dscn4665.jpg  

City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs-dscn4667.jpg  

Last edited by cityvic : 15th October 2012 at 11:52.
Old 14th October 2012, 19:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

A very special thanks to Gunbir Singh & Nitin Sethia (LM002) for the lovely equipment and pro-installation at S&S Inc.

Heartiest thanks also to DjNik,Anish9000,Shuvd,Shuvc,Xeta,Razor,Ace,m4ugr8, Noidaboy,Navin,Akshay 1234 for letting me audition their cars,patiently replying to dumbest of queries i had and also helping me choose the equipment in the utter confusion I was in.

I always wanted to make an audio thread which would be worthy enough to get a comment from Sam.Wish I wasn't lazy enough to make my thread a few weeks earlier.Thank you Sam,for replying to all my PM's and Facebook messages to clear out the smallest of ICE doubts I had out of your busy schedule.
Miss the Yeti always.

Disclaimer:
I'm no ways associated with BBW or S&S Inc or United Customz,just a happy and satisfied customer.
Fans and users of the above mentioned audio brands,please do not take offense with my comments on them.They are just the honest reviews of a 17 year old's ears and basic experience.

Last edited by GTO : 16th October 2012 at 22:10. Reason: As per your reported post
cityvic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 10:25   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: City s(q) Pioneer | Rainbow | Gladen | JBL | Digital Designs

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Sound off & Show off Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 27th November 2012, 14:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
A very special thanks to Gunbir Singh & Nitin Sethia (LM002) for the lovely equipment and pro-installation at S&S Inc.

Heartiest thanks also to DjNik,Anish9000,Shuvd,Shuvc,Xeta,Razor,Ace,m4ugr8, Noidaboy,Navin,Akshay 1234 for letting me audition their cars,patiently replying to dumbest of queries i had and also helping me choose the equipment in the utter confusion I was in.

I always wanted to make an audio thread which would be worthy enough to get a comment from Sam.Wish I wasn't lazy enough to make my thread a few weeks earlier.Thank you Sam,for replying to all my PM's and Facebook messages to clear out the smallest of ICE doubts I had out of your busy schedule.
Miss the Yeti always.

Disclaimer:
I'm no ways associated with BBW or S&S Inc or United Customz,just a happy and satisfied customer.
Fans and users of the above mentioned audio brands,please do not take offense with my comments on them.They are just the honest reviews of a 17 year old's ears and basic experience.
Congrats Bro - awesome setup. I am thinking of going for the Rainbow DLs as well...how much did they cost you? What was the total expense for your ICE upgrade?

Thanks

Last edited by car.lover : 27th November 2012 at 14:42.
Old 27th November 2012, 21:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car.lover View Post
Congrats Bro - awesome setup. I am thinking of going for the Rainbow DLs as well...how much did they cost you? What was the total expense for your ICE upgrade?

Thanks
Thanks a ton.

The dreamlines are lovely and costed me around 12k.
Entire Setup costed me around 60k.
Old 3rd December 2012, 14:49   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton.

The dreamlines are lovely and costed me around 12k.
Entire Setup costed me around 60k.
You mean without the head unit and the rear speakers. Else that would have bumped up to 75 or 80K right?

How about damping? Honda being a light car, I am sure damping can do wonders for the sound?
Old 3rd December 2012, 15:41   #15
BHPian

Quote:
...They are just the honest reviews of a 17 year old's ears and basic experience.
Completely , but at 17, how are you using the VTEC? Shouldn't you be driving around WITH a license?

Or is it chauffeur driven?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks