Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2006, 01:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Fuse Holder Problem!

Yesterday as I was tuning my system it suddenly shutdown . As I check the system the head unit was running and else of the stuff was off then I checked the remote wire it was also ok. Then I check for power to the amps they was no supply .Thus I open the bonnet to checked that the fuse must be blown. But when I checked the fuse holder it was MELTED and the fuse was also blown away.

My question is, If there is a fuse in a circuit it must blow in case of over load or shortcircuit or the holder will melt away. What could be the reason of this melting of the fuse holder. Acording to the various site on the net the wire gauge I am using is more than required.

http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-T2oU1I3...ech/kb147.html
http://www.a1discountcaraudio.com/wiresize.htm

The length of the wire used is approx 13-14 feet (4+ meter) and load is two MRD- 1005 and one pioneer 944 . As the pioneer is in HPF and 4 channel mode it takes very less current. Thus the main load is of mrd-1005 they are having 80 amps fuses on them. On more thing I have put 2 four gauge power cables so there are 2 fuses , One of the fuse holder has melted and the other has not (but it is also little disfigured from the inside )

There was no heat source near the fuse holder that made it melt.

What made the fuse holder to melt but not the fuse to blow ?
Old 1st May 2006, 05:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

LBM

I hope you remember this cuz I vividly do... Jb advised you against a 'kit' based solution for this very reason. This is part of my problem with you my friend. When the best installer in the country tells you something, try and understand WHY he is telling you what he is. There are some things that no website can tell you... why? because they havent seen your car, they dont know how you play your system, they dont know what equipment has been used etc. etc.

Your in-line fuseholder is NOT designed for the kind of heat in your engine compartment and the load you are putting on it. Now you can put up a hundred links up here that say otherwise... BUT we told you so...

a. You need at least 2ga cable. 0/1ga will be ideal.. from battery to dist block.

b. you need a large 'multi-way fused' distribution block that will NOT be installed in the engine bay.

c. The dist block will be installed near your amps, and from the dist block to the amp you will be fine with 4ga cables.

We have seen this happen to some of the best (read: brands like JL, Lighting etc) products out there and the simple reason is, poor system design and bad install.

So the next time, when the distributors of a product refuse to sell you something, in the dealers showroon, killing the dealers opportunity to make a buck, theres gotta be a good reason for it. Try and understand why...

LBM now I know you think I'm full of crap and my 02 cents are worth nothing, but I still felt the need to put this up here so that others may understand this better and avoid this situation.
Old 1st May 2006, 10:08   #3
BHPian

What equipment has he installed in the car?
Old 1st May 2006, 11:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

every thing said right and done , What made the holder melt ? Experts ?

Vivek the stuff installed in the car u can check it on this site.

http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/2277199
Old 1st May 2006, 11:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ohmigawd Gunbir

GUNMAN>.. What are you doing up at 5 in the morning!!!

DO you guys EVER sleep??? ... or has ICE driven you into power-naps sufficing!!
Old 1st May 2006, 11:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Your in-line fuseholder is NOT designed for the kind of heat in your engine compartment and the load you are putting on it. Now you can put up a hundred links up here that say otherwise... BUT we told you so...

We have seen this happen to some of the best (read: brands like JL, Lighting etc) products out there and the simple reason is, poor system design and bad install.
Seems to me you have your answer...

Electrically - dont think you find too many other reasons for melting..
Old 1st May 2006, 11:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

1) Ok why did one fuse holder melted and not the other one ?
2) If there is fuse in a circuit why did it melt if the load was more than specified ?
3) It had a 80 amps fuse which I think is appropriate for the amp, correct me if I am wrong ?
4) I again saying there was no heat source near the fuse holder as there are many other things there made out of plastic. The heat from the engine did not cause the holder to melt .

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 1st May 2006 at 11:58.
Old 1st May 2006, 12:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
every thing said right and done , What made the holder melt ? Experts ?
Not an expert, but here it is...

The fuseholder melted because... you have a less than optimum connection between the fuse and the fuse holder, this makes it spark accross the gap making the heat that eventually melts the holder and fuse. The fact that it is a waterproof fuseholder compounded the problem as there wasnt any heat release. People often grease the fuses to avoid such issues. While this is common, this wouldnt result in melting if you were using it in a 600w system. You system needs more juice and this product is insufficient for your application.

In your car the system has high current demands and the fact that you used thinner cable then necessary put extremely high demands on your fuseholder and fuse. I am sure your cables also heated up and would recommend you check them for any melting of the insulation anywhere.

BTW, the same kit is installed in slightly over a hundred cars in India with zero defect or failure. It is meant for a 600w system. You have 1000w x 2 amps and another 100w x 4 amp.

Last edited by gunbir : 1st May 2006 at 12:10.
Old 1st May 2006, 12:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

mods please close this thread

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 1st May 2006 at 12:17.
Old 1st May 2006, 12:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
GUNMAN>.. What are you doing up at 5 in the morning!!!

DO you guys EVER sleep??? ... or has ICE driven you into power-naps sufficing!!
Aarrghh!!! dont get me strarted man... My cellphone checks my email every 1 hour. So here I am... deep in slumber when it shouts near my head "YOU HAVE MAIL" so I get up and see I have a mail I was expecting from the US. So I got up and logged in, and saw LBMs post. Now you know how ICE is in our systems...
Old 2nd May 2006, 00:12   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
mods please close this thread
why? ....
Old 2nd May 2006, 10:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
why? ....
Ha ha ... "The Succinct Navin" ... Welcome Back sir... did not see you online as much much the last few days... upto some new electronic wizardry??
Old 2nd May 2006, 10:31   #13
Team-BHP Support

Not really. I dont spend anytime on line on evenings, weekends and public holidays. I much prefer the company of my son. He is not old enough to discard me. Once he gets old enough to do that (and care primarily for girl next door, the car and pocket money) I will return with greater gusto to my hobbies.
Old 25th June 2008, 12:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for digging out an old thread. My amplifier's power cord fuse was broke by the local service guys while repairing the alternator.

Gurus, please tell me the specs of the fuse so that i can replace it myself.im attaching a pic of the fuse holder.

Fuse Holder Problem!-image590.jpg

TIA
Old 25th June 2008, 13:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

What amps are you using ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks