Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2006, 22:21   #1
BHPian

Install botched up

Hi guys,

Some of you will remember me from some time ago. I was inactive for a long time. Well I was looking for some audio advice and I stumbled here.

I am not an audio freak. I've had the car(Zen) for 2 years without feeling the need for a system. Well on a bad day I mentioned to a friend the only way I would install audio is if I got it for 4k. Well he's networked and he took me to a friend of his(I'm Pune based) who gave me a JVC system ( k405 + 4 4" JVC speakers) for 6k.

I was totally dissatisfied, the audio was hurting my ear and I thought I must do some reseach and pick basic but good quality components or better not have audio at all. So I read all the wonderful info out here (especially Navin and Sam) and decided to go for a Pioneer HU and JBL speakers.

I told the guy I was dissatisfied and he was pretty sweet about it and offered to exchange everything. We finally settled on Pioneer 4850HU(6500K), JBL GTO 935e( 2990k)(936e was not available) and for the front 4" I had to choose between a Pioneer 1011(1100k) and an Alpine(2400k). He didn't have JBL 426e. I settled for the later.

Now the thing is my friend is big distributer and he told this guy I must get the best rates and the best components. An he has some pull over this guy.

I was pretty busy today so I sent the car to him. In between I got a call about where to fit the back 6"x9"speakers. I told him to do it on the standard Maruti tray and he said that would cause too much vibration. He told me he would use and mdf board and fit it in the back door.

The thing is I didn't have a clue that to accomplish this he would actually have to CUT METAL FROM THE CAR! This is astonishing for me and I freaked out. But the damage is done, if i had known, and you must remember I'm not an audiophile I would not have allowed it. I am about to sell this car and get a Baleno and I am concerned this will affect its resale value. Alternatively what is the price of the Zen's hatch back door which holds the windscreen. If its not too expensive I will gladly replace it. Also I was totally ignorant about the warranty(extended 4 year, car is 2003 Sept model) becoming null if you fit the audio from outside.

I am not entirely happy with this. Aditionally I think the tweeters which are prominent in the JBL speakers I see online are missing because I don't remember seeing them in the my car speakers. Its of course my fault to some extent but this friend of mine is pretty close to me and i transferred the trust to the audio guy ( who he does business with) but this is a horror story for me.

Last edited by raul : 2nd May 2006 at 22:24.
Old 2nd May 2006, 22:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Raul... Please put up some pics
Old 2nd May 2006, 22:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Pretty bad man..... remember end of the day its your car... and your money.... and your sound!...

Do put up some pics...
Old 2nd May 2006, 23:38   #4
BHPian

What metal did he cut? I just do not understand why any metal has to be cut from the door to install speakers. Did you ask him why the hell he did that?
Old 3rd May 2006, 00:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

He actually cut into the hatch door ?? Thats ridiculous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul
We finally settled on Pioneer 4850HU(6500K), JBL GTO 935e( 2990k)(936e was not available) and for the front 4" I had to choose between a Pioneer 1011(1100k) and an Alpine(2400k). He didn't have JBL 426e. I settled for the later.
6.5k = 6500
6500k= 650000!!

And is the alpine model # 240 or the cost 2.4k ? If it cost Rs2400 then you have paid for a fake assembled amplifier my friend.
Old 3rd May 2006, 00:41   #6
BHPian

Hi, Sorry about the confusion with the 6500k figures. Its should be 6.5k. I was pretty hassled today and regretting sending the car instead of supervising the installation.

I will definitely put up pictures tomorrow. S0uljah, Its not an Alpine amp, its the Alpine 4 inch front speakers thats 2.4k. I don't remember the model no, I will get it tomorrow.

I believe the Zen hatch door, just under the windscreen has 2 holes, This is normally covered with a factory fitted fibre board thats screwed on from the inside. These guys actually cut these round holes into ovals, placed an mdf board on that and then fixed the speakers, and only god can explain why they had to cut. I'm sure there is a better way to place 6x9 speakers in the rear of a Zen. I'm totally pissed. I haven't even put on the deck, I honestly can't get myself to care about audio quality at the moment.
Old 3rd May 2006, 00:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I believe the Zen hatch door, just under the windscreen has 2 holes, This is normally covered with a factory fitted fibre board thats screwed on from the inside. These guys actually cut these round holes into ovals, placed an mdf board on that and then fixed the speakers, and only god can explain why they had to cut. I'm sure there is a better way to place 6x9 speakers in the rear of a Zen. I'm totally pissed. I haven't even put on the deck, I honestly can't get myself to care about audio quality at the moment.
Yeah Raul. Those two vents in the hatch interior panel. Dont worry. Damage done is reversible. That panel is replacable and shouldnt cost you more than a few hundred rupees from your M.A.S.S.

Remove the speakers and the damaged panel. Replace the panel. Get an original parcel shelf from the M.A.S.S. or get an mdf one from a good installer and install the speakers in the parcel shelf.

Last edited by gunbir : 3rd May 2006 at 00:50.
Old 3rd May 2006, 01:13   #8
BHPian

Oops! More confusion. Gunbir, my bad. Those dodos haven't cut the board. That would be easy.

That factory fitted board screwed on the hatch covers 2 holes in the hatch metal just under the back windscreen. They have removed that board, cut the metal to make it an oval, placed new mdf board and then fixed the speakers on it. So now when I open the hatch, the speaker moves with it.

The factory fibre tray which covers the booth has also got holes, from the previous JVC install! This is a mess.
Old 3rd May 2006, 01:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
S0uljah, Its not an Alpine amp, its the Alpine 4 inch front speakers thats 2.4k. I don't remember the model no, I will get it tomorrow.
sorry !! my mistake
Old 3rd May 2006, 02:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

So what is ur question bro, What r u ask I mean ?
Old 3rd May 2006, 15:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Dude, CHILL!

Even i have 2 6x9s and a 12inch subwoofer on my MDF parcel tray and my installer had to trim some metal. Its normal. All audio installers do this if there is inadeqaute space to fit speakers.

A lot of cars run around like this.So, no big deal.
Old 3rd May 2006, 15:44   #12
BHPian

Hey Nitrous, Glad to know I am not alone. But surely this can't be a good way to install speakers?
Old 3rd May 2006, 16:10   #13
BHPian

Why can't they just fix a parcel tray and be done with it instead of messing around with the metal? Why complicate things when it can be done easily?
Old 3rd May 2006, 18:01   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO935e?? Are you sure? This speaker was discontinued 3 YEARS ago. Wow. This is some seriously old stock. Wow Sorry man you got cheated if you paid 3 grand for a speaker that has probably been on that guys shelf for 3 years or more.
I can certify that this prduct was discontinued 3 years ago. Sorry to give you this bad news.
Old 4th May 2006, 00:56   #15
BHPian

Hi Sam, This is really sad, clearly my trust was misplaced. This guy is not trustworthy. I am really hassled with this experience. On one hand its my fault for installing the cheapo JVC system first and then not supervising the second install. Clearly I must do something about this. I am definitely going to be taking this up with my friend asap.

Last edited by raul : 4th May 2006 at 01:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks